Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Child tax credits should be paid based upon education/skills watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Child tax credits should be paid based upon education/skills of parents. i.e those who have degrees should be paid more. This is an incentive for people to go out and learn a skill or gain a degree.

Discuss?

Those without will receive a lower sum. This is an incentive to stop "chav" culture/teenage pregnancies and council house dependency.

ReputationRep:
    So those who already have better job prospects and a better ability to make more money by themselves should be able to get more money from the government than those who don't have lots of qualifications and so are significantly more limited in their earning potential.

That doesn't sound completely ridiculous as well.

ReputationRep:
    Like a lot of supposed 'common sense' policies- it simply doesn't work. Having a degree or even being well off doesn't make you a good parent.

My thoughts on some family policies that should be adopted-

I think there needs to be a 3 child limit on child benefits.
    Welfare vouchers so that money cant be spent on booze, **** and Sky.
    Make Baby Milk formula prescription only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Like a lot of supposed 'common sense' policies- it simply doesn't work. Having a degree or even being well off doesn't make you a good parent.

My thoughts on some family policies that should be adopted-

I think there needs to be a 3 child limit on child benefits.
    Make Baby Milk formula prescription only
    Not having one does not either!? The point i am trying to make is you will be better off in terms of income in the future and less dependent on the state. A good hard working parent is much more beneficial than a chav parent to a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Child tax credits should be paid based upon education/skills of parents. i.e those who have degrees should be paid more. This is an incentive for people to go out and learn a skill or gain a degree.

Discuss?

Those without will receive a lower sum. This is an incentive to stop "chav" culture/teenage pregnancies and council house dependency.
    I know many people with degrees who are stupid and unproductive.

ReputationRep:
    Focus on some actual problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I know many people with degrees who are stupid and unproductive.
    I agree but they are still better off than someone with an E in GCSE Art.

We have MATURE students going back to gain degrees you know, obviously they are worth something

ReputationRep:
    Not having one does not either!? The point i am trying to make is you will be better off in terms of income in the future and less dependent on the state. A good hard working parent is much more beneficial than a chav parent to a child.
    I unfortunately know someone who has an economics degree and is a parent- he doesn't work, spends all day on his xbox and has zero interaction with his kid and mooches off his rich parents and expects his wife to do everything (he's 22)

I know someone who comes from a very crappy background, became pregnant at 15, is an incredibly attentive mother and is now a hair dresser who is starting up her own business and is now 19.

Under your idea, person under one would get more money. No thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I unfortunately know someone who has an economics degree and is a parent- he doesn't work, spends all day on his xbox and has zero interaction with his kid and mooches off his rich parents and expects his wife to do everything (he's 22)

I know someone who comes from a very crappy background, became pregnant at 15, is an incredibly attentive mother and is now a hair dresser who is starting up her own business and is now 19.

Erm poor example. Being a hair dresser is a skill haha.

Well done to the economics degree chap, he's got it made in life.

ReputationRep:
    Erm poor example. Being a hair dresser is a skill haha.

Well done to the economics degree chap, he's got it made in life.
    Ok what about working in a shop or for a care home? Is that a skill? the point still stands.

I'd rather more money go to good parents as parenting is a skill!

As for having it made in life; whilst i'm not generally a white knight except when I want to troll ukippers, I do sincerely hope that you don't view playing xbox all day and treating your wife like crap whilst neglecting your offspring and at the expense of your feeble parents as having made it.

ReputationRep:
    Beyond food and shelter and warmth, children need love and emotional support. They need acceptance and attention. Having a degree or a 'good job' doesn't make you a good parent.

Plus I know of several 'teen mums' who sorted out their lives and got jobs and started to take responsibility for their actions when they had a baby. Although the pregnancies weren't planned, the children are loved and wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I agree but they are still better off than someone with an E in GCSE Art.

We have MATURE students going back to gain degrees you know, obviously they are worth something
    Agai not. Incorrect. Qualifications bare little relevance to productivity of a person. I know many switched on cookies who left school at 16 with no qualifications.

What are the admin costs for your pipe dream? Where do I find out and verify what qualifications people claim to have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Agai not. Incorrect. Qualifications bare little relevance to productivity of a person. I know many switched on cookies who left school at 16 with no qualifications.

What are the admin costs for your pipe dream? Where do I find out and verify what qualifications people claim to have?
    what are "switched on cookies"?

i will outsource admin to China, like the rest of the British economy. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, why should an educated person receive less than some chav from a council state who
    spends his/her money on smoking weed and drinking all day whilst the tax payer foots the bill.
    Child tax credits must also be reduced and only be given to the first child, at the moment people are given the keys to free houses just built non of the people work they are all on benefits and just because they popped out kids the government showers them with money.
    My neighbor brags about the money she receives from the state she has 7 kids and brags about the holidays she goes on.

ReputationRep:
    what are "switched on cookies"?

i will outsource admin to China, like the rest of the British economy. Simples.
    And yet reshoring seems to be gathering pace and has been for some time.

http://www.economist.com/news/specia...ng-back-united

ReputationRep:
    That's often said, often by the rag paper but I have never seen any genuine proof that it is the case. I'm not doubting that it happens at all, but i've never seen any hardcore evidence than being more than just a handful.
    It just seems to be a useful myth to justify cutting down on welfare. The huge, huge majority are not like that.

As for vouchers, that wouldn't work in practice. How do we decide where they can use vouchers? Tesco, Asda? Are we going to privatize welfare and basically pay benefits directly to coporations?

Oh I agree, it's a shame that person two is about to have her tax credits cut by the tory government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    That's often said, often by the rag paper but I have never seen any genuine proof that it is the case. I'm not doubting that it happens at all, but i've never seen any hardcore evidence than being more than just a handful.
    It just seems to be a useful myth to justify cutting down on welfare. The huge, huge majority are not like that.

As for vouchers, that wouldn't work in practice. How do we decide where they can use vouchers? Tesco, Asda? Are we going to privatize welfare and basically pay benefits directly to coporations?
    As per welfare abuse l- like you I can only comment on what I see and the evidence that I see is that it's endemic- and whilst the economic cost is certainly exaggerated the social cost is not.

As per food vouchers- I think awarding such a contract would have to be on some sort of card system available in a variety of supermarkets with extra discount for fruit and veg.

Oh I agree, it's a shame that person two is about to have her tax credits cut by the tory government.
    my opinion of the Tories, not the most concrete of things, has cooled dramatically- a couple of articles on the spectator have actually hugely damaged them in my eyes.

But yes it is regrettable. They'll get away with it too now with Corbyn as opposition. I was actually warming to the guy until Seumas Milne was appointed- Abu Hamza will be shadow defence secretary at this rate.

Hopefully Corbyn will be gently deposed and steer the way for a neo blairite victory

ReputationRep:
    As per welfare abuse l- like you I can only comment on what I see and the evidence that I see is that it's endemic- and whilst the economic cost is certainly exaggerated the social cost is not.

As per food vouchers- I think awarding such a contract would have to be on some sort of card system available in a variety of supermarkets with extra discount for fruit and veg.

my opinion of the Tories, not the most concrete of things, has cooled dramatically- a couple of articles on the spectator have actually hugely damaged them in my eyes.

But yes it is regrettable. They'll get away with it too now with Corbyn as opposition. I was actually warming to the guy until Seumas Milne was appointed- Abu Hamza will be shadow defence secretary at this rate.

Hopefully Corbyn will be gently deposed and steer the way for a neo blairite victory
    I'd like to see some hardcore evidence though, rather than anecdotal. It hasn't been proven to exist on an endemic level.
    What massively annoys me though is the disparity of reaction when abuse is committed by those at the top rather than those at the bottom. A guy spend benefit money on beer - cue outrage in the national press and Tory party.
    A multinational corporation pays 0.5% tax - barely makes the news and no one gets angry. That's as damaging socially and far more economically then benefits abuse( if that even happens on a large scale )

As to Milne, I'm indifferent. The right wing press were up in Arms which made me feel he's not too bad. I just don't care about that- im more interested in things that actually affect us such as welfare and tax credits.

The Tories have shifted off to the right and with tax credits they are starting to attack ther own voters. Now Corbyn suddenly doesn't seem so extreme and he's quietly doing a good job (he destroyed Cameron at pmqs last week).
    What was quite interesting was that the woman on qt actually said she liked Corbyn and she used to vote Tory.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Corbyn stand down for someone like Lisa nandy in a couple of years. He's awoken the Labour Party and brought all corners of the Labour Party to their feet.
    Labour needed a rocket and they've got one. It's up to the balirites to respond to the challenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I'd like to see some hardcore evidence though, rather than anecdotal. It hasn't been proven to exist on an endemic level.
    Sure- but looking at it from various levels. IE in certain areas it's going to be higher than others.

I lived in a council estate for five years and the place was pretty much a cliche of a typical daily mail headline.

What massively annoys me though is the disparity of reaction when abuse is committed by those at the top rather than those at the bottom. A guy spend benefit money on beer - cue outrage in the national press and Tory party.

A multinational corporation pays 0.5% tax - barely makes the news and no one gets angry. That's as damaging socially and far more economically then benefits abuse( if that even happens on a large scale )
    Ordinary people can't relate to tax dodging the same way they can relate to benefit cheats. Additionally the sort of people who abuse the system do so in a personalised way where the effects are readily seen as opposed to the almost depersonalised nature of corporate tax dodgers.

As to Milne, I'm indifferent. The right wing press were up in Arms which made me feel he's not too bad.
    They weren't exactly fans of Jimmy Saville either. Sometimes your enemies enemy shouldn't be your friend.

I just don't care about that- im more interested in things that actually affect us such as welfare and tax credits.
    Exactly and this is the problem- Why has Corbyn elected this maverick over somebody who could talk about this AND not cause controversy- why not Owen Jones?

Again and again own goals...

The Tories have shifted off to the right and with tax credits they are starting to attack ther own voters. Now Corbyn suddenly doesn't seem so extreme and he's quietly doing a good job (he destroyed Cameron at pmqs last week).
    What was quite interesting was that the woman on qt actually said she liked Corbyn and she used to vote Tory.
    Tge tax credits fiasco will be mediated and forgotten about- just like McDonnell s Fiscal Omnishambles. Nobody's really that concerned at the start of the parliament. The hiring of Seumas Milne is akin to the Tories hiring Nick Griffin (slightly unfair actually, Griffins never supported terrorism) - it's a dangerous precedent of what's going on in the leaders mind- and this guy's head of press relations ffs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Corbyn stand down for someone like Lisa nandy in a couple of years. He's awoken the Labour Party and brought all corners of the Labour Party to their feet.
    Labour needed a rocket and they've got one. It's up to the balirites to respond to the challenge.
    I agree but I doubt he'll stand down voluntarily.

ReputationRep:
    Er no. We don't want people just going to uni and doing a media studies degree they'll never use just to get more tax credits. It would probably cost more to use taxes to fund their loan that they would never end up paying back, than to give them the tax credits in the first place.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.