Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I try the IUS or go back to condoms? watch

I've had a copper IUD for over two years and most months since then I've gotten thrush which starts around mid cycle. I've tried everything to prevent it and the only things that have worked for me have been daily probiotics and a course of anti fungals from my GP but both only lasted a couple of months. I'm certain its due to the IUD as it started happening since I had it fitted. I went to get it removed at the clinic I got it at but the nurse refused unless I agreed to go on something else (I told her I was just going to go back to condoms) and when I was referred to a gynaecologist by my GP he agreed it was probably due to the IUD but said I should keep it in and just treat the infection every month! I'm wondering if I should go back the clinic and pretend I'm going to try for a baby to get it removed and go back to using condoms (as I keep having to use them anyway; my boyfriend doesn't mind using them) or give the IUS a try? I've never been on hormonal contraception before because I have depression and anxiety but I've been told that the IUS is less likely to cause side effects as the hormones are localised. I can't use anything containing oestrogen, I definately don't want the injection and I'm not keen on the idea of the mini pill or implant either so these are my two options.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm quite amazed that anyone would refuse to remove it - capacity and informed consent!?! - to the point where I'd be looking at making a complaint about it.

If it takes lying, to get it removed then... If you're going to try the IUS, I certainly wouldn't do it via that clinic.

(Original post by unprinted)
    I'm quite amazed that anyone would refuse to remove it - capacity and informed consent!?! - to the point where I'd be looking at making a complaint about it.

If it takes lying, to get it removed then... If you're going to try the IUS, I certainly wouldn't do it via that clinic.
    Thanks for your reply. She said it was because condoms can break - which I of course know and would go and get the morning after pill if it happened. I'm moving out of my current town soon so I'll get the IUS in my new one if I decide to go for it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    But ultimately, it's none of her business! Having once had to deal with a nurse with An Agenda I sympathise, but argh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.