zooloowarrier
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yo guys,

I'm currently a mechanical engineer at uni of Birmingham and am expected to get a VERY high first, have an offer for MSc in Mathematical and Computation finance from Oxford, I love maths and would like to apply it in finance, if I take this course will it increase my chances for working at an investment banking firm as a quant? Or will my undergrad mean its impossible.

Cheers
alexkol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your background is fine. People from mathematics and engineering backgrounds usually apply for those MSc courses.
zooloowarrier
Rep:
?
(Original post by alexkol)
Your background is fine. People from mathematics and engineering backgrounds usually apply for those MSc courses.
I meant for Ib quant roles, would I get rejected due to my undergrad straight away?
alexkol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zooloowarrier)
I meant for Ib quant roles, would I get rejected due to my undergrad straight away?
Yeah I know man, it won't be an issue. I wouldn't worry, since a University like Oxford, they wouldn't have accepted you if they thought that you will not be able to find a relevant job afterwards.
Ethereal21foreva
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The more, the merrier.
jimkeen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zooloowarrier)
Most quant roles I've seen are PHD level, limited chance with undergrad, middling to good chances with a decent masters (sounds like yours is)
zooloowarrier
Rep:
?
(Original post by jimkeen)
Most quant roles I've seen are PHD level, limited chance with undergrad, middling to good chances with a decent masters (sounds like yours is)
Thanks for your reply, but will my undergrad still prevent me from entering the industry?
I got A*A*AA at a-levels
Table dust
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
get good at programming
zooloowarrier
Rep:
?
(Original post by Table dust)
get good at programming
I'd say I'm pretty experienced with Java/Python/C++/Matlab and after doing mech eng probably a god at excel.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (553)
34.05%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (669)
41.19%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (329)
20.26%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.5%

Watched Threads