The Student Room Group

MSc worth it for Investment Banking?

Yo guys,

I'm currently a mechanical engineer at uni of Birmingham and am expected to get a VERY high first, have an offer for MSc in Mathematical and Computation finance from Oxford, I love maths and would like to apply it in finance, if I take this course will it increase my chances for working at an investment banking firm as a quant? Or will my undergrad mean its impossible.

Cheers
Reply 1
Your background is fine. People from mathematics and engineering backgrounds usually apply for those MSc courses.
Original post by alexkol
Your background is fine. People from mathematics and engineering backgrounds usually apply for those MSc courses.

I meant for Ib quant roles, would I get rejected due to my undergrad straight away?
Reply 3
Original post by zooloowarrier
I meant for Ib quant roles, would I get rejected due to my undergrad straight away?

Yeah I know man, it won't be an issue. I wouldn't worry, since a University like Oxford, they wouldn't have accepted you if they thought that you will not be able to find a relevant job afterwards.
The more, the merrier.
Reply 5
Original post by zooloowarrier

Most quant roles I've seen are PHD level, limited chance with undergrad, middling to good chances with a decent masters (sounds like yours is)
Original post by jimkeen
Most quant roles I've seen are PHD level, limited chance with undergrad, middling to good chances with a decent masters (sounds like yours is)

Thanks for your reply, but will my undergrad still prevent me from entering the industry?
I got A*A*AA at a-levels
get good at programming
Original post by Table dust
get good at programming

I'd say I'm pretty experienced with Java/Python/C++/Matlab and after doing mech eng probably a god at excel.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending