Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What subjects should I take? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I’m in year 9 right now and am having to think about what GCSEs I’m going to take and am in the middle of a massive mind kerfuffle,bit melodramatic but that’s me! At my school you have 4 options: a mandatory language, a mandatory humanity and two free options. I’m thinking about doing German, French, History and Geography and want to go on to study Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French and German at A-level, and then Economics at university.But the problem is that I don’t know if I should change that to swapping one option for Business Studies at GCSE and then Economics at A-level, you have to do Business Studies at GCSE to do Economics at A-level at my school, because it would be better to have actually done the subject rather than read about it and be interested, what would obviously show an interest and commitment to the subject, but then I would have to swap it for something else and I thought that I should do both Geography and History because they both are kind of linked with Economics, but I don’t want to get rid of a language, because I find them to be my joint second favourite subjects (after maths). Then with A-level I will once again have to scrap a language or Physics, which will apparently be detrimental to my Maths A-level because it’s like half of the course, one of my sister’s friends does maths A-level without Physics and is getting Us. I know Ihave to do Maths A-level for an Economics degree but that’s the onlyrequirement so I have no idea what would be the best path. Aaaaaargh! Any help or advice will be much appreciated!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i'd say take history, it's really interesting (thats just my opinion) and if you want to do languages at A level then YOU HAVE to take that language at gcse or they won't accept you. geography is ok, it's easy, for the first year and then a bit boring in the second. thats what i find it with wjec geography. Are you doing RE? i heard RE is compulsory so you have to do either short or long course in it throughout the UK.
    You should scrap A level physics in my opinion according to the route you're going through. taking one science in A level isn't ideal, plus you're not even considering a scientific course at uni so why bother having science at all? take languages + history + geography, it opens loads of options for A level then! and of course business studies for your economic a level.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.