Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I posted a letter to a police force which I think is located in Preston, about 30 miles where I live.
    The letter was a NIP following a speeding offence, me driving 47 mph in a 40 mph zone.

It says form must be returned within 4 weeks or you risk a "£1000 fine and 6 points on license.
    I am hoping I will just get sent on a speed awareness course

Got the letter on Saturday 24/10/2015 and sent the letter on Wednesday 28/10/2015 and I got a receipt to prove I'd sent it. I sent it with a 1 st class stamp

However, logging into the police website it appears to me that they haven't received the letter yet as there is no tick symbol by the received documents page.

So if they try and say the letter got lost, will my receipt back me up in proving I'd sent off the letter to them on time, if so, how ??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The trick is to use recorded delivery. You then have a receipt that you sent it and can obtain a receipt that it was received.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you've sent it on a recorded delivery it is the Royal Mail's responsibility and as long as you keep the receipt you'll be absolutely fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bilalahmeddd)
    If you've sent it on a recorded delivery it is the Royal Mail's responsibility and as long as you keep the receipt you'll be absolutely fine
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    The trick is to use recorded delivery. You then have a receipt that you sent it and can obtain a receipt that it was received.

Good luck!
    I just asked for a receipt, is that the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love life)
    No. It just means you posted a letter. You could have posted it to the north pole. Recorded delivery costs more but does guarantee to deliver within a certain time frame and the letter must be signed for upon receipt.

Your receipt may be sufficient, but I wouldn't bet on it personally.

ReputationRep:
    if you get a certificate of posting they note should the postcode you sent the letter to on it so it is rubbish to say that you could have sent it anywhere

OP you will be fine. this is the public sector you are dealing with, they do things more slowly there (and tbh, YOUR ticket is just one of hundreds and not the priority it is for you)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)

Good luck!
    ****ing eck, I thought I was missing something, I should have done that , I only got a standard receipt,
    (Original post by bilalahmeddd)
    See above
    (Original post by I love life)
    I thought they were the same thing , I really should have used reco
    [QUrecrecoryEeek;60343249]No. It just means you posted a letter. You could have posted it to the north pole. Recorded delivery costs more but does guarantee to deliver within a certain time frame and the letter must be signed for upon receipt.

Your receipt may be sufficient, but I wouldn't bet on it personally.[/QUOTE]

I thought they were the same, now I know they are not. I really should have used recorded delivery
    (Original post by Pariah)
    if you get a certificate of posting they note should the postcode you sent the letter to on it so it is rubbish to say that you could have sent it anywhere

OP you will be fine. this is the public sector you are dealing with, they do things more slowly there (and tbh, YOUR ticket is just one of hundreds and not the priority it is for you)
    See above, I should have used recorded delivery.

Question to everybody : I emailed the police several hours ago but no reply yet
    I recieved the letter on Saturday 24/10/2015 and sent it on Wednesday 28/10/2015 and they only give a 4 week deadline for its return and its already been 9 days since getting the letter and 5 days since sending it .

Should I ring up the police number tomorrow morning if I haven't received a reply? Ask him to send me another form and then send that back via recorded delivery or will it just confuse them if they recieve both forms ?

Just in case 1st form gets lost in post, if I get another form and send that off as recorded deivery, would that be okay ?
    I only have 19 days from today to make sure its sorted , realistically will I meet the timesale ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You may if the letter is not received by them get some sort of extension on the time limit if you show them proof of postage. Not a certainty at all, but maybe.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.