The Student Room Group

How old do you have to be to book a hotel in the UK?

I want to surprise my boyfriend at Christmas by taking him away to stay in London for the weekend in January, however I am unsure how old I have to be to book a hotel? I am 17, 18 in April, but my boyfriend is already 18. Can anyone help?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Other members have asked on the Travelodge site and they said that 16-year-olds can book and stay

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/age-policy

Another option is to find a B&B on https://www.booking.com/

Premier Inn also allow 16-year-olds.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I was expecting this post to be made by some 13 yr old girl who is meeting up with her 47 yr old 'boyfriend'.

To answer your question, different hotels have different age limits on occasion.
As far as I'm aware, they don't ask for your age when booking a hotel - when I booked one (as an 18 year old) they never asked.
I wouldn't expect any issues if you both appear to be 18 and have a credit card.

I have heard that some hotels/B&B's don't accept single sex parties due to stuff like hen or stag weekends ( and I don't blame them) but don't see how that now fits with anti gay legislation where a couple can be single sex.

But the point is that if one of you is an adult, considering that you could be married, there shouldn't be an issue unless they specify an age policy - - where they should tell you
Reply 4
Original post by A5ko
I was expecting this post to be made by some 13 yr old girl who is meeting up with her 47 yr old 'boyfriend'.

To answer your question, different hotels have different age limits on occasion.

The exact first thing that came to my mind
Reply 5
Original post by gears265
the exact first thing that came to my mind

i knew people would think this! I am nearly an adult for goodness sake!! :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by domonict
I wouldn't expect any issues if you both appear to be 18 and have a credit card.

I have heard that some hotels/B&B's don't accept single sex parties due to stuff like hen or stag weekends ( and I don't blame them) but don't see how that now fits with anti gay legislation where a couple can be single sex.

But the point is that if one of you is an adult, considering that you could be married, there shouldn't be an issue unless they specify an age policy - - where they should tell you

I have reserved the hotel online, and it didnt say anything, I am allowed to change the details up until 2 days before I go, so if I put it in his name before we left, could this stop any problems? They cant kick us out can they?!
Reply 7
I never had a problem at 16
It varies from hotel to hotel. Travelodge say:
You can only make a booking if you are 18 years old or over. If you arrive at the hotel and are under 18 years of age you will not be permitted to stay alone. We may require photo id as proof of age.
The fact that they say "you will not be permitted to stay alone" implies that you will be able to stay with someone 18 or over, though.
Hilton Hotels won't let you book online under 18 but say you can ring the hotel direct, perhaps because different Hilton hotels have different age rules.
You might need to search through all the "terms and conditions" small print of the hotel you booked at to make sure of their policy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ontherazzle
It varies from hotel to hotel. Travelodge say:
You can only make a booking if you are 18 years old or over. If you arrive at the hotel and are under 18 years of age you will not be permitted to stay alone. We may require photo id as proof of age.
The fact that they say "you will not be permitted to stay alone" implies that you will be able to stay with someone 18 or over, though.
Hilton Hotels won't let you book online under 18 but say you can ring the hotel direct, perhaps because different Hilton hotels have different age rules.
You might need to search through all the "terms and conditions" small print of the hotel you booked at to make sure of their policy.

I booked a Double Trees by Hilton! Oh dear :frown: If I transfer the booking to his name, as he is over 18, will that work?
you really need to talk to the hotel.
when I have booked they just ask your name and I handed over a copy of my booking printout.
(possibly) they asked for sight of the card

just say ' I have a room booked under the name of XXX"

I guess if you look 18 and aren't in school uniform they won't even ask.
if you both look about 12 ( even if 21) they might query it.
Original post by isabellend
I booked a Double Trees by Hilton! Oh dear :frown: If I transfer the booking to his name, as he is over 18, will that work?

If you can do that it might save you worrying. The booking confirmation you should have been sent ought to tell you what documents you need in order to check in; often it's just the confirmation email they have sent, though some hotels do ask for ID such as a passport as well. Last time I used a Hilton Hotel (a few years ago) they wanted to take details of my credit card at check in, too, but they didn't ask for any other form of ID. I've found their telephone enquiry service very helpful so it might be worth giving them a ring to clarify things.

I'm sure you'll have a good time when you get there!
Reply 12
Original post by ontherazzle
If you can do that it might save you worrying. The booking confirmation you should have been sent ought to tell you what documents you need in order to check in; often it's just the confirmation email they have sent, though some hotels do ask for ID such as a passport as well. Last time I used a Hilton Hotel (a few years ago) they wanted to take details of my credit card at check in, too, but they didn't ask for any other form of ID. I've found their telephone enquiry service very helpful so it might be worth giving them a ring to clarify things.

I'm sure you'll have a good time when you get there!

Ill read the email properly now! Thank you, Im really excited!
I want to book a hotel room for me and my girlfriend I am 15 so is she’s were both 16 next year I am 6ft though so would I be able to book a hotel room?
Original post by Liam hadley
I want to book a hotel room for me and my girlfriend I am 15 so is she’s were both 16 next year I am 6ft though so would I be able to book a hotel room?

Height doesn’t determine age
******** it’s 16 nobhead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending