Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to buy a MacBook Air 11 inch laptop. I just wanted to know is it worth getting the 3 year Apple Plan for 200 pounds? Does it cover all technical damages e.g. charging issues, if laptop switches on and off etc... Also I would like to know if the laptop comes with a free 1 year insurance for all faults. Would you be able to take it to any Apple store to get it fixed for free if any problems arose.

Finally is the laptop worth buying and is it easy to install. Will 128gb be enough for someone who just wants to use the laptop for university work and a bit of Netflix..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    Hi,

I want to buy a MacBook Air 11 inch laptop. I just wanted to know is it worth getting the 3 year Apple Plan for 200 pounds? Does it cover all technical damages e.g. charging issues, if laptop switches on and off etc... Also I would like to know if the laptop comes with a free 1 year insurance for all faults. Would you be able to take it to any Apple store to get it fixed for free if any problems arose.
    AppleCare isnt fully fledged insurance, it's essentially an extended warranty with a couple of extras. That means it only protects you against manufacturing faults, any damage or issues the laptop suffers that aren't Apple's fault will not be covered.

If you are buying with student discount and buy online or by phone you will get your laptop's included warranty extended from one year to three years automatically, effectively offering the same level of coverage as AppleCare without telephone support. If you buy in store with student discount then AppleCare is heavily discounted to about £50 instead. Buying for full price is definitely not recommended, that £200 could pay for full fledged insurance from a third party company.

Finally is the laptop worth buying and is it easy to install. Will 128gb be enough for someone who just wants to use the laptop for university work and a bit of Netflix..

Thanks
    The Airs are solid laptops but have mediocre screens, and if you aren't buying with student discount then you end up paying a decent chunk more than a similar quality Windows laptop would cost. Setting it up is basically idiotproof at this point. For predominantly casual usage the 128GB model is fine, unless you have a large volume of media you need to store. However if you upgrade to the 256GB model you may as well pay the extra to move to the 128GB MacBook Pro, which is substantially better than the Air in most respects, and pick up a 1TB portable hard drive for £40ish on Amazon for mass storage if you ever fill the internal drive up.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.