Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

as english Literature- poetry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im currently reviewing the poems i have studied in my 'poems of the decade' anthology and i was wondering if any of you wanted to share your views/ annotations on any of the poems? if anyone else wanted help, i would be willing to share mine as well
    thank youuuu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe Leigh)
    x
    What exam board are you on?

If people know exactly what you're studying, they'll be able to help you :fluffy:

I'll ask the CT to move your thread, too, as you'll get more replies in the English Study Help forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    What exam board are you on?

If people know exactly what you're studying, they'll be able to help you :fluffy:

I'll ask the CT to move your thread, too, as you'll get more replies in the English Study Help forum
    Thank you!
    And im on the Edexcel exam board

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    And im on the Edexcel exam board
    I'm on Edexcel for A2 English Literature - let me know if you ever need any help

Obviously I may not have studied those poems, but I'd be happy to answer questions/work out things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    I'm on Edexcel for A2 English Literature - let me know if you ever need any help

Obviously I may not have studied those poems, but I'd be happy to answer questions/work out things
    Hey, I really need help! I'm in my AS year, and I frickin' hate poetry! Did you happen to go through 'Inheritance' by Eavan Boland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ata2ud)
    Hey, I really need help! I'm in my AS year, and I frickin' hate poetry! Did you happen to go through 'Inheritance' by Eavan Boland?
    I have studied the poem and i loved it. I may be able to help?

ReputationRep:
    I have studied the poem and i loved it. I may be able to help?
    I don't understand the gist of it; I don't get it the references of the past, and in particular, I fail to compare it with Genetics by Sinead Morrisey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ata2ud)
    I don't understand the gist of it; I don't get it the references of the past, and in particular, I fail to compare it with Genetics by Sinead Morrisey
    The poem is basically about a mother who is worried and upset about the fact thst she has nothing to pass onto her children. She speaks of how most mothers pass down craft skills (5th stanza) and how she had never learnt such skills from her mother to pass on. However, in the final stanzas of the poem when her child is sick, she believes that she had made her child better ( "as if i knew the secrets of health and air"). She has the sudden realisation that she has herself inherited the skills of being a loving, caring mother (" i must've learnt that somewhere"). Even though it may not be something that she has physically been given, she has recieved something of much more importance.

To compare this to Genetics by Sinéad Morrissey, you could compare how Genetics speaks of how, no matter how far your parents are from each other (or from you) and no matter how bad their relationship is, they will always be close to you and together in you, as they both make up who you are. The narrator is looking down at her hand and noticing how much of her parents she sees in them. In Inheritance, the narrator realises that she is like her mother in terms of her mothering skills, which she had "inherited".

I appologise for the lack of detail as it is brief, but if you would like any other information in regards to annotations on lines/ stanzas, you are more than welcome.im also happy to help with other poems if you need the help
    I hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    Do you have anything on "History"?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone i have very thorough annotations for Material, Inheritance, A leisure centre is also a temple of learning, An easy passage, The deliverer, To my nine year old self, effects, genetics, look we have coming to dover, fantasia on a theme of james wright, you shiva and my mum I'd be happy to swap and share any and all 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theawesomejem)
    Hi everyone i have very thorough annotations for Material, Inheritance, A leisure centre is also a temple of learning, An easy passage, The deliverer, To my nine year old self, effects, genetics, look we have coming to dover, fantasia on a theme of james wright, you shiva and my mum I'd be happy to swap and share any and all 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Please post everything you can on as many of these as poss! Need all the help I can get. Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anyone post their opinions or annotations on The Deliverer or the furthest distances i have travelled? It's for AS English literature for Edexcel

Thanks and much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi im also having problems annotating the furthest distance ive traveled. Would anybody be able to help me?

who's doing the poems of the decades for As English lit ?? I need help please reply to me I need help guys thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livyya)
    Hi can anyone post their opinions or annotations on The Deliverer or the furthest distances i have travelled? It's for AS English literature for Edexcel

Thanks and much appreciated
    (Original post by spark12)
    Please post everything you can on as many of these as poss! Need all the help I can get. Thanks a lot
    (Original post by 149dawn)
    Hi im also having problems annotating the furthest distance ive traveled. Would anybody be able to help me?
    (Original post by Benie Bopeno)
    who's doing the poems of the decades for As English lit ?? I need help please reply to me I need help guys thanks in advance
    Heyyy I've posted quite a few poetry annotations on "Poems of The Decade English Literature AS Edexcel" I haven't done furthest distance I've travelled yet😊 but a few others are on there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    mm

ReputationRep:
    Try this for help with Poems of the Decade: http://tlaalevelenglish.blogspot.co....1_archive.html

Start with posts from February onwards. There are analyses of many of the poems.

ReputationRep:
    What is the best way to revise and remember the poems of the anthology?

ReputationRep:
    You will have the text in the exam. The important thing is to know what the poems are about and the key themes. I would suggest a series of cards each with a theme - family, relationships, time, parents etc. Then find three poems on each theme and find quotes that relate to it. Make sure those quotes enable you to talk about the language.

The other way is to draw a large plan. Start with one poem at random. List every theme you think it might be about., Then, draw lines outwards from each theme to other poems that have the same theme. Find quotes to support. It's just another way of cutting the cake.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.