Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A2 English Literature coursework help!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Literature should teach us how to cope with life’s difficulties. To what extent do you agree that Salinger in ‘Catcher in the Rye’ and Bronte in ‘Jane Eyre’ present readers with this opportunity. - This is my coursework question but I have no idea where to start! I have some ideas about life's difficulties for both texts but can't find a way to start
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Katieeaton)
    Literature should teach us how to cope with life’s difficulties. To what extent do you agree that Salinger in ‘Catcher in the Rye’ and Bronte in ‘Jane Eyre’ present readers with this opportunity. - This is my coursework question but I have no idea where to start! I have some ideas about life's difficulties for both texts but can't find a way to start
    Sounds like an awful essay question to me. I have only read Rye, I will be studying Jane Eyre at uni next semester. BUT anyway...

You need to draw up constrasts or comparisons to the way both authors showcase your main theme which is dealing with life difficulties.

But from what I remember, Holden (is that his name, I forget) - doesn't he just run away from his problems and doesn't even face them? I just remember him getting excluded from school, then goes from one place to another in the vein attempt to find some attention that's placed on him? So personally, I'd argue against Salinger showing readers how he does this. However, you could speak about it negatively with criticism as in "he fails to show this..."

But that's all the advice I can give.. Sorry, it was very vague. But I can't stand that novel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Sounds like an awful essay question to me. I have only read Rye, I will be studying Jane Eyre at uni next semester. BUT anyway...

You need to draw up constrasts or comparisons to the way both authors showcase your main theme which is dealing with life difficulties.

But from what I remember, Holden (is that his name, I forget) - doesn't he just run away from his problems and doesn't even face them? I just remember him getting excluded from school, then goes from one place to another in the vein attempt to find some attention that's placed on him? So personally, I'd argue against Salinger showing readers how he does this. However, you could speak about it negatively with criticism as in "he fails to show this..."

But that's all the advice I can give.. Sorry, it was very vague. But I can't stand that novel!
    Thanks for your advice I will look into doing that! I think the main reason I'm struggling so much is because of how much I also hate the novel! I just can't get into it and its a shame as Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Thanks for your advice I will look into doing that! I think the main reason I'm struggling so much is because of how much I also hate the novel! I just can't get into it and its a shame as Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels!
    Yeah, the novel is just horrendous! I don't see how it's such a modern classic! It's just awful! Can you not change at least one of your text?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Yeah, the novel is just horrendous! I don't see how it's such a modern classic! It's just awful! Can you not change at least one of your text?!
    The only book I can change is Jane Erye but I don't have another book that I know well enough to write coursework on that I haven't already used in a coursework
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    The only book I can change is Jane Erye but I don't have another book that I know well enough to write coursework on that I haven't already used in a coursework
    Ah right, that's so unfair! I remember when I absolutely hated Wuthering Heights and I just literally said to my teacher I'm not studying it as I just can't connect to the text and I proposed to do Dorian Gray and she was like "OK". Your teacher - out of anyone in the world - should understand the difficulties of connecting with a text! Can't stand teachers like that.

Can you not go to the Head of Department?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.