The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Themightylaa
You sound like you've done very well considering you aren't native to English and you aren't a science grad especially! You'll be fine.

I've just finished the purple practice paper and got 78% in S1 and, inexplicably, 59% in S3. Completely tanked it, considering I'm a science grad that's wrong. Didn't really get into the entire section though, didn't like many of the questions at all. Feel like my essays are fine but I hope I don't have a day like that for S3 next Wednesday, I think with that high of an S1 I would possibly still be above a score of 60 barely (main goal is Notts who don't double score S3 if your average of all 3 equally is higher) but it wouldn't be ideal... Guess I better go through it tomorrow and figure out where I messed up. Nothing left to do now but sit the real thing 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just tried the purple one too, 85% in S1, 56% in S3 :argh: - I'm also a science grad, but lost SO many points on the chem questions it's ridiculous, but also a surprising amount on the bio - which I went through first and thought were okay, ugh!
I really hope the questions aren't so bad on Weds!!
Original post by neuromeg
I just tried the purple one too, 85% in S1, 56% in S3 :argh: - I'm also a science grad, but lost SO many points on the chem questions it's ridiculous, but also a surprising amount on the bio - which I went through first and thought were okay, ugh!

How have you found the green one?
The green one felt a teenie bit easier on S3 but harder on S1.

I really hope they're nicer on weds too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neuromeg

Same with me for purple, I smashed S1 but did poorly on S3, then realised I dropped nearly all the marks on stupid little mistakes in the chem questions. Better to make the mistake now and be aware of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danni998
How have you found the green one?

I can't remember tbh, I did the green one a while ago and I'm going to do it again tomorrow. I definitely remember that the purple was harder though!
Thought I'd say hello and wish everyone luck. As a non science grad I sat the GAMSAT three years ago without looking at science to make sure I could do S1 and S2 (I figured that if I couldn't, with a Law degree, give up!).

I scored 72, 72 and 42 (Guessed C on every question!). Been travelling this year so didn't register in time, will have to sit in March. Chemistry tutor is talking to me in a foreign language. Talk to me about ethical norms or contract terms but elements and cells and I'm out!
Has anyone got any advice for how to structure the essay section of the GAMSAT?
I know essay A is more of an informative/objective comparison (tech etc), while essay B is meant to be a personal reflection (art and wealth)... But I'm struggling with the actual essay structure.
Reply 607
Does anyone know if the written online communication test on the acer gamsat is the same if I purchase it again ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, quick question about Wednesday... I'm taking the GAMSAT at the NEC. Do you know if normal parking applies in that we just turn up and park, paying when we leave? So concerned a minor detail like parking my car is going to trip me up and stres me out! Thanks!
Original post by ashxx
Does anyone know if the written online communication test on the acer gamsat is the same if I purchase it again ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I did it twice I received the same quotes both times. It's also not a great tool to rely on as my online results were way higher than my actual s2 result
Reply 610
Original post by Marathi
When I did it twice I received the same quotes both times. It's also not a great tool to rely on as my online results were way higher than my actual s2 result

Ok thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 611
How's everyone feeling Wednesday then ? Just struggling on the Chem on section 3, hopefully section 1 and 2 go well. Also how representative are the acer papers ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ashxx
Also how representative are the acer papers ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From past experience I'd say the green one is a bit easier and the purple one is more similar/slightly harder than the actual tests.
Has anyone got any good tips for Section 2? English and essay writing really isn't my forte, so i'm struggling. I have read that rather than writing an essay you can write a story. Does anyone do this?
Not at all happy that it's gonna be 26 degrees and sunny in Liverpool when I'm sat in a dark cathedral sitting this damn GAMSAT exam. I can't wait to relax after its done with 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Not at all happy that it's gonna be 26 degrees and sunny in Liverpool when I'm sat in a dark cathedral sitting this damn GAMSAT exam. I can't wait to relax after its done with 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lovely architecture though! Nice to spend your time waiting for people to take their seats soaking it in - love the crypt
With exam day looming, I was wondering if any GAMSAT veterans could please highlight some overlooked things on the day, and extra essential items to bring on the day from their experience (aside from the obvious documentation and stationary)?
Original post by Zak1995
With exam day looming, I was wondering if any GAMSAT veterans could please highlight some overlooked things on the day, and extra essential items to bring on the day from their experience (aside from the obvious documentation and stationary)?

Food! Do not forget food, seen some people who'd forgotten to bring it first time around. Never seen someone so stressed to go and find something to eat
All the best of luck everyone!

I am selling GRADMED revision material. They consist of:

Revision Books:
Biology, Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Maths for Science, Written Communication for Section A & B

Simulated GAMSAT Question Papers:
4 x Section 1 with answers, 11x Section 3

Please PM me if you are interested in purchasing all of them.
Original post by Zak1995

Something for lunch that isn't going to perish in your bag.

Water for the exam, get flavoured water if you can, something with a bit of sugar in to keep you going.

Caffeinated substances for the break between s2 and s3. Pro plus, or energy drinks whichever you prefer.

Leave any unnecessary valuables at home if you can, there's nowhere safe or secure to leave your bag from past experiences.

Registration queues are long but I'd still recommend getting in early. I personally hate the stress of being late and having to rush. One less thing to worry about!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending