The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cuts92
Yes, this is the correct way they de-select applicants. Do you know if they round up? my Notts/SGUL formula score is 61.666667 with an ACER mark of 61. Interviews either way, I hope!

Hey, where did you get the info that SGUL calculate it the Notts way? That would literally make all the difference for me! (61/64)
Original post by Marathi
SGUL was 60 last year. I think they do the normal ACER way, because if I recall correctly last year they discontinued the unbiased science version - leaving only Nottingham to do so. But I'll look into that.

If it's 60, I've scraped through by the skin of my teeth with 61 (calculated the biased science way)
The Notts way I'm on 64.
All fingers and toes crossed!
Original post by EllyJelly
Hey, where did you get the info that SGUL calculate it the Notts way? That would literally make all the difference for me! (61/64)

It used to state on their website (as per Notts) that they marked it both ways. But this information has since been removed, but whether the method itself has been removed I am not sure.
Original post by Marathi
It used to state on their website (as per Notts) that they marked it both ways. But this information has since been removed, but whether the method itself has been removed I am not sure.

Also, this website is freaking me the hell out:

http://www.gamsatpreparationcourses.co.uk/scores-results.php

That claims to know this year's cut offs. How they can know that I don't know. I don't know how legit it is.

I was so happy this morning and now surrounded by panic that I've gone and missed it by 1. :redface:

That claims to know this year's cut offs. How they can know that I don't know. I don't know how legit it is.

I was so happy this morning and now surrounded by panic that I've gone and missed it by 1. :redface:

It's all speculation. Don't believe anything until you receive official emails from the universities themselves.

You also have to consider the applicant pool. Personally I believe that less people will have applied this year due to the JD strikes and general **** treatment the NHS is receiving. Even a drop of applicant numbers by 5-10% would affect GAMSAT (and other admission test) cutoff scores as they would look to invite the same number of people to interview as in the past (as long as the number of places continues to be the same).

There are so many factors in this that to pursue it looking for a definitive answer early is a waste of time. It's horrid waiting around not knowing whether you're good enough or not (this is my third time). But, you just have to try and keep your chin up and keep working hard at getting your experience and other qualities up to par ready for any potential interviews.
Original post by Chocoholic20
Hey yeah I did..
Does that mean the unis will look at both and pick the higher one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i emailed each uni i applied for (exeter, SGUL, cardiff and liverpool) and tehy all said they take the highest one :smile:
Original post by Marathi
It's all speculation. Don't believe anything until you receive official emails from the universities themselves.

You also have to consider the applicant pool. Personally I believe that less people will have applied this year due to the JD strikes and general **** treatment the NHS is receiving. Even a drop of applicant numbers by 5-10% would affect GAMSAT (and other admission test) cutoff scores as they would look to invite the same number of people to interview as in the past (as long as the number of places continues to be the same).

There are so many factors in this that to pursue it looking for a definitive answer early is a waste of time. It's horrid waiting around not knowing whether you're good enough or not (this is my third time). But, you just have to try and keep your chin up and keep working hard at getting your experience and other qualities up to par ready for any potential interviews.

Thanks for your help! I think less people will apply this year. SGUL also now only accepts 2:1 classifications so that narrows the applicant pool somewhat. I guess we will see. 60+ is this year's 80%.

Good luck hope you get it this time around :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by izzypetrie
Yeah i emailed each uni i applied for (exeter, SGUL, cardiff and liverpool) and tehy all said they take the highest one :smile:

Oh that's great thanks for letting me know :smile: I've applied to Liverpool and Cardiff too. Goodluckkkk

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCAS released some info about this years application numbers:

https://www.ucas.com/corporate/news-and-key-documents/news/applicant-numbers-%E2%80%98early-deadline%E2%80%99-university-courses-increase

I think med student applications are down 4%
Seems promising!_20161112_075309.JPG

Ignore it, I found gamsat prep pretty much just guesswork with no official channels, there's a disclaimer directly below it stating that nothing is guaranteed which basically means they have guessed. They claim a 61 cut off for Notts and 62 for SGUL which would the top 15% and 12% of applicants respectively looking at September's curve (even higher looking at march, closer to top 10%). The likelihood of this is slim considering it would mean much less interview slots in an already decreasing pool of applicants.

Just wait for official channels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, what were your overall GAMSAT scores for the people that got early rejections? Just trying to get an idea of a form of cut off...
Original post by Es0phagus
the overall cutoff always correlated to the 80th percentile for SGUL and 75th for Swansea.

Did this include the 62 in 2015? I'm way over analysing this data I know, but..
Original post by MathsNinja
Hey guys, out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, what were your overall GAMSAT scores for the people that got early rejections? Just trying to get an idea of a form of cut off...

Anyone I know who has got early rejections didn't get over 50 in one section. It looks like they're knocking those out and then deciding the overall score.
Did this include the 62 in 2015? I'm way over analysing this data I know, but..

I had a look at the 2014 curve and 62 was actually 75th percentile that year, people scored very well. So they don't ALWAYS invite at 80th percentile but between 75-80th I believe depending on the results. Based on that I would think 60 will be the cut off this year, 61 would be nearly 83rd percentile which seems to high. I imagine Notts will be the same at 60. Swansea is usually slightly lower around 75th percentile so I'd estimate them at a 58-59 cut off. All guesswork of course but educated guesses... which is basically how science works in general 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 895
Seems to be lots of people good at writing essays.... o.o coming from chemistry section three was really nice but section two killed me, i've never written anything quite so bad!!
Managed 66 overall with S1: 55 S2: 66 S3: 71
I don't think there's much point paying attention to percentile curves, some applicants decide to use scores from their previous attempts and get accepted 1 or 2 years later using those results, then the cut off scores for each application cycle don't correlate exactly to the percentile curve for any of the sittings. They'll definitely remain around 60ish (hopefully lower), only time will tell
I'm just really hopeful that Swansea is 59 or below and Notts isn't above 60 (my score is 61.666 calculated the Notts way, 59 the science way). If SGUL is 60 then I guess that's it for me! Hopefully they release the cut-off this week - the wait is killing me!

Will we get the cut-offs emailed to us?
Does anyone reckon we'll hear from notts and sgul re the cutoffs this week? Also, for Nottingham- I saw on the notts website that they don't interview until April.... you know the email that said we'd hear by March 31st? Was that hearing about interviews?! Thought it was offers!:O
Original post by neuromeg
I'm just really hopeful that Swansea is 59 or below and Notts isn't above 60 (my score is 61.666 calculated the Notts way, 59 the science way). If SGUL is 60 then I guess that's it for me! Hopefully they release the cut-off this week - the wait is killing me!

Will we get the cut-offs emailed to us?

I've no idea where we get the cut offs :s-smilie: I've been checking all the websites in case they get posted there..... from stalking last year's thread people did talk about an email I think..... Gah I hate the wait! Still, no news is better than bad news and all that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending