Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should prejudice against BTECs be classed as hate speech? watch

ReputationRep:
    People who take btecs face constant ridicule and discrimination particuarly from those who study STEM subjects. Threads on here constantly mock BTECs despite them being just as hard as A levels. It treats people who take BTECs as sub human. I've also noticed that those who take BTECs are predominantly working class so it seems to me like this may be a major reason for the anti BTEC hatred. I demand that TSR ban anti BTEC threads, they are no different to anti immigrant threads.

ReputationRep:
    LOOL x

Though I understand the link between anti-BTECism and class

ReputationRep:
    youre kidding, right?

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell. Jumped over a canyon there.

Honestly think BTECs are great. Best academic/professional choice I have made was to do one.

ReputationRep:
    BTECs are not as hard as A-levels, no where near, especially not STEM subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    I demand that TSR ban anti BTEC threads, they are no different to anti immigrant threads.
    Well those threads aren't banned anyway so gg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richpeasant)
    BTECs are not as hard as A-levels, no where near, especially not STEM subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I agree. Although some A level subjects like general studies and sociology/psychology are just as easy as btec, if not easier.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao...

ReputationRep:
    A LEVEL MASTER RACE[ [image removed]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judogainz)
    A LEVEL MASTER RACE
    This is what I mean, Those who study STEM have a serious prejudice against BTEC.

ReputationRep:
    A LEVEL MASTER RACE
    I did a BTEC in sports science, after scuffing up my A levels. They just didn't motivate me, and I felt I needed something with pragmatic use to do so. Also I don't come from an academic background (my parents don't even have GCSE's), so obviously there is no one to tell me that there's any purpose to learn what seemed like at the time, to be pointless A level information with little practical but high academic value.

The BTEC in sports science has allowed me to do a degree in psychology, start a masters degree in clinical neuroscience, and get to a point where I can be considering applying to medicine.

They certainly aren't as bad as you're suggesting by the rather offensive picture!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    I did a BTEC in sports science, after scuffing up my A levels. They just didn't motivate me, and I felt I needed something with pragmatic use to do so. Also I don't come from an academic background (my parents don't even have GCSE's), so obviously there is no one to tell me that there's any purpose to learn what seemed like at the time, to be pointless A level information with little practical but high academic value.

The BTEC in sports science has allowed me to do a degree in psychology, start a masters degree in clinical neuroscience, and get to a point where I can be considering applying to medicine.

They certainly aren't as bad as you're suggesting by the rather offensive picture!
    psychology is one of the weakest degrees going lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)
    Yeah I agree. Although some A level subjects like general studies and sociology/psychology are just as easy as btec, if not easier.
    have you done psychology alevel or are you talking from no experience?

ReputationRep:
    psychology is one of the weakest degrees going lol
    It's actually a very good degree to have if you plan on doing more than just a degree. Hence neuroscience and medicine. Totally 'weak'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    It's actually a very good degree to have if you plan on doing more than just a degree. Hence neuroscience and medicine. Totally 'weak'.
    Lets face it, defending Btecs is a lost cause.

Ill leave this with you

ReputationRep:

Lets face it, defending Btecs is a lost cause.

Ill leave this with you
    From the content you just posted, all I can say is you're an immature child.
    If you're going to troll, at least do it well.

ReputationRep:
    Boohoo cry me a river. If you want to save the embarrassment just say you finished school at 16, that is much more respectable than a BTEC.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that BTEC's aren't worth it or worth any less than an A-level. And I too am getting a little tired of the whole 'my subject is better than your subject' debate that's always on here. But I can say that I chose to do A-level music over the BTEC because I noticed that the BTEC for that particular subject was just a watered-down version of the A-level equivalent. But this is not to say that I think that's a reflection of the BTECs difficulty in general. Just for music.

And I noticed that for a lot of courses (at the time I was applying for uni) did not accept BTECs but only took A-levels. And also at the time, the GCSE requirements for A-level were higher so I thought I might as well aim high since I got good GCSE's. Each to their own really. I certainly don't think any less of anyone who chooses to do BTEC or whatever else. It's admirable that you're choosing to improve yourself, no matter what type of course you choose.

ReputationRep:
    BTEC's are not the same nor harder than A-Levels... a lot of universities mark them as inadequate preparation for their courses. Prejudice against them is not hate speech, it's knowing the facts about the qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of people on this forum are very snobbish.
    BTECS are certainly not as hard as A levels, they are 'easy' but who cares?
    Yes they do get you to practically anywhere as the dude above was saying but it takes lot longer.
    Adds about 6 more years to starting a medicine degree which in my opinion is ridiculous but for some people its the only option, and i understand that so don't go around making fun of them.

Continuing the medicine example, once your both doctors no one will care how you got there.

Edit: I bashed BTEC bashers but some people also say BTECS are not easier, they are face it.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.