Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Government funding for postgraduate courses? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so, I've finally decided to get my life on track and work out what it is I want to do once my third year's complete, which led me into looking at master's degrees. Obviously, the first thing that stuck out was the fact that they're not funded by SFE. However, as I looked into it more, I keep seeing reference to a government funding for postgraduate courses due to start in 2016.

Anybody have any idea as to what this is all about?

(Apologies if this is already somewhere else - I did a cursory search and couldn't find anything!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 33lions)
    Okay, so, I've finally decided to get my life on track and work out what it is I want to do once my third year's complete, which led me into looking at master's degrees. Obviously, the first thing that stuck out was the fact that they're not funded by SFE. However, as I looked into it more, I keep seeing reference to a government funding for postgraduate courses due to start in 2016.

(Apologies if this is already somewhere else - I did a cursory search and couldn't find anything!)
    They are intended to be introduced for the 2016/17 academic year. However, since the consultation back in march, there hasn't been any news. The government was supposed to issue a response in may. I hope they see the light of day but its seeming increasingly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmaugTheTerrible)
    They are intended to be introduced for the 2016/17 academic year. However, since the consultation back in march, there hasn't been any news. The government was supposed to issue a response in may. I hope they see the light of day but its seeming increasingly unlikely.
    Oh man, I hope so too! But it is getting quite late for something that was meant to be issued in May to be announced now ://

ReputationRep:

It's not happening. See below for a response. Basically, if you want to do a postgrad course, you should:

- be sure that it is highly employable and can gain employment within a few months of graduation
    - be sure that you save up enough to pay for one

(Original post by SmaugTheTerrible)
    Yeah, it was something proposed by the previous government. And something that the current government is highly unlikely to follow seeing their focus on cuts. Especially when the results of the 2015 pilot study were supposed to be published in August. I think it is fair to see that the current government is not going to follow the steps of the previous government.

ReputationRep:

All information here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...-other-support

ReputationRep:
    That page has not been updated for more than 4 months. That should be enough to say something about the likelihood of the proposal going through when even the results of the pilot study have not even been released.

ReputationRep:
    Some postgrad courses are funded like PGCEs and some PhDs receive a stipend (it won't be much but you can top up by lecturing or working research at the uni). There is a government endorsed loan of up to 10k available to grads, it's from the coop or barclays and you enter repayment after a year. That can be used to pay for course fees but won't be enough to cover living costs too so you would need to supplement with savings, a job or a supportive partner/parent. The best way would really be to find a way to get your employer to pay for it as part of your essential professional development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    That page has not been updated for more than 4 months. That should be enough to say something about the likelihood of the proposal going through when even the results of the pilot study have not even been released.
    I completely agree with you (my doctorate involves a lot of study of education policy and this one's a great example of how not to do a consultation. Not that any government takes much notice of educational consultation anyway but that's another matter)

I have contacted the Department to ask for updates - they're being very very cagey about it, and all they will say is that the results are still due to be published but it'll be 'in the autumn'…
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And something that the current government is highly unlikely to follow seeing their focus on cuts.
    But they have already scrapped the national scholarship programme to pay for postgrad loans.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest that those of you who are being affected by this indecision write a short letter to :

Nicky Morgan MP, Secretary of State for Education,
    Department for Education, Ministerial and Public Communications Division,
    Piccadilly Gate, Store Street, Manchester, M1 2WD

Your University Constituency MP : http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

Mahamid Ahmed - Postgraduate Taught Students' Representative,
    National Union of Students, 275 Grays Inn Rd, London WC1X 8QB
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    I suggest that those of you who are being affected by this indecision write a short letter to :

Your University Constituency MP : http://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

Affected how? Nothing has happened yet. By the time I finish my BA I will be over 30 anyway, so I lose whatever happens. I'm hoping this delay means they're re-thinking the age cap.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment many graduates and final year students - and Universities - cannot plan ahead.

It's frustrating for everyone, especially for those who deliberately delayed doing a taught course last year because of this promise of funding. The government really does need to front-up and at least tell all those involved whether or not this funding will be in place by September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    But they have already scrapped the national scholarship programme to pay for postgrad loans.
    I am not sure if they cut the nsp to pay for the postgrad loans. As far as I am aware, they have cut the nsp and have a nice excuse (the one you can see in the postgrad loan consultation webpage) not to implement the loan system for postgrads. So the way I see it, they are just making cuts.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I am not sure if they cut the nsp to pay for the postgrad loans.
    They did. They said so. http://www.hefce.ac.uk/sas/nsp/

ReputationRep:

I highly doubt this will work. This is a department that about 1 or 2 years ago took a very well-known academic to courts just to stop her from being able to get information from them. Information that was supposed to be accessible under the FoI Act. The Secretary of Education himself publicly vowed to stop this academic. And even with a new one, the academic only managed to get a portion of the information and seeing the pictures of the documents, the information is incomplete.
    Of course, trying is always good.

ReputationRep:
    I am guessing, they will just say what it says in the gov.uk webpage: that it was a proposal under a different government.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you just love policy language?

funding would be repurposed to support postgraduate students
    …but this doesn't promise postgraduate loans

the government announced its intention to
    …intention is a great word - 'we might but we might not'

made clear that intention
    …made it clear that they might or might not

They imply that the money will be removed from one programme to support another, but they don't actually say it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    Don't you just love policy language?

funding would be repurposed to support postgraduate students
    …but this doesn't promise postgraduate loans

the government announced its intention to
    …intention is a great word - 'we might but we might not'

made clear that intention
    …made it clear that they might or might not

They imply that the money will be removed from one programme to support another, but they don't actually say it
    :mob:

It is very irritating that journalists always focus their attention on fees when they write about universities. I wish for once they would talk about the real issues, namely the ELQ policy and (lack of) financial support for postgrad students.

ReputationRep:

It is very irritating that journalists always focus their attention on fees when they write about universities. I wish for once they would talk about the real issues, namely the ELQ policy and (lack of) financial support for postgrad students.
    This

The ELQ is a vicious trap that isn't publicised nearly enough - I'm sure some people would make very different decisions at 18 and 21 if they were aware of the two issues you've highlighted.

(although as my youngest is currently Y12, I'm not too happy about undergrad fees either!)

ReputationRep:
    At the moment many graduates and final year students - and Universities - cannot plan ahead.

It's frustrating for everyone, especially for those who deliberately delayed doing a taught course last year because of this promise of funding. The government really does need to front-up and at least tell all those involved whether or not this funding will be in place by September.
    Right in that situation now. I don't want to apply much later than February but I can't see it happening that the scheme will happen this cycle - maybe next year in which case it would be announced around Autumn/September at the latest.

Could very likely be another year but I'll be watching the thread. It might benefit some people to be priced out for a while though...teach them to be less reliant on student loans.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.