Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this a suitable choice of a-levels to study architecture at uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, i am supposed to be choosing my a-levels soon and at the moment i've thought of picking -
    Maths, Art & Design, Economics, Arabic, Chemistry
    Are my choices suitable? and considered as a "varied" or a "good mixture" for the architecture course in most universities or not? And as for an essay-based subject, is economics counted as essay-based?
    And do i really need physics or not because i feel like i'm really not good at it at the moment, plus i really like chemistry and find it a lot easier, even though i know its a big jump from gcse and a-level.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would have switched out Photography for History and possibly Arabic for something like English OR Media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssoliman00)
    So, i am supposed to be choosing my a-levels soon and at the moment i've thought of picking -
    Maths, Photography, Economics, Arabic, and something else because some uni's may not accept arabic.

Are my choices suitable? and as you can tell i haven't picked art as one of my a-levels? do you think it would be alright having photography for the "portfolio"? And i haven't done gcse art/anything design related during gcse so i don't know whether its okay to stick with photography or..? and what else should i choose? (please don't say further maths)
    Don't you need Physics for Architecture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    I personally would have switched out Photography for History and possibly Arabic for something like English OR Media.
    But isn't photography a bit essential in my case since i don't have art and need a "design-based" subject for my portfolio and uni requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Don't you need Physics for Architecture?
    I've read that physics isn't essential just like maths but it is preferable, therefore i'm considering maths.

ReputationRep:
    But isn't photography a bit essential in my case since i don't have art and need a "design-based" subject for my portfolio and uni requirements?
    You make a good point, if you want to express your creative side sure. However I stress you pick History over Arabic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    You make a good point, if you want to express your creative side sure. However I stress you pick History over Arabic.
    I'm actually doing my AS arabic during year 11, but for sixth form i think i'll add an extra subject (maybe history like you mentioned or any other essay based subject) which would make it beneficial just in case some uni's still consider arabic as a "home-language" as well as carrying on with A2 arabic in year 12.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually doing my AS arabic during year 11, but for sixth form i think i'll add an extra subject (maybe history like you mentioned or any other essay based subject) which would make it beneficial just in case some uni's still consider arabic as a "home-language" as well as carrying on with A2 arabic in year 12.
    Definitely. I think thats a better option!

ReputationRep:
    How about art instead of photography?

ReputationRep:
    Before I switched to a future in medicine I looked into architecture and the majority of good universities want maths and physics and then an art/technology (to show creative/design skills). So I would say that your A-level choices should largely depend on the university you wish to attend.

If I were you I'd look at prospective uni's and see which ones you like the look of then plan your choices accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JHPSC96)
    Before I switched to a future in medicine I looked into architecture and the majority of good universities want maths and physics and then an art/technology (to show creative/design skills). So I would say that your A-level choices should largely depend on the university you wish to attend.

If I were you I'd look at prospective uni's and see which ones you like the look of then plan your choices accordingly.
    I really don't plan in taking physics at a-level as i seem to get very bad at it at the moment even though it is my favourite lesson, and for most entry requirements i've seen, they all mainly mentioned art for a-level and a mixture of essay-based and science subjects (like Manchester for example)

So to be honest i don't know if my subjects are suitable or not, from the answers i've read on here. Also, do you think i should email/contact a university about my a-level choices or do you think they're feedback won't be that helpful considering that i'm in year 11 and might just ignore my message?

ReputationRep:
    i personally dont think physics is essential: you have chemistry as a science subject, and you will learn Mechanics modules in maths anyway
    i am doing physics at the moment, and i think physics alevel is way harder than GCSE, so if you are not getting on well at the moment, you may struggle with it for alevel.
    subject choice also depends on unis tho, look up the website of uni you are interested in, and see what it says

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who has finished their degree and has been working in practice for a couple of years, the only subject you do need is Art, for the other subjects its best just to choose subjects you enjoy and will do well in. They're going to be more impressed by AAAA in Art, Geography, German and English than ABBB in Art, Maths, Physics and Extra Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Only a handful of uni's focus on maths; however, these and all other uni's look for art. Bare in mind that some uni's want art specifically because they will want to see a portfolio and do not recognize subjects such as photography, product design, etc. On the other hand, needing to have physics for architecture is a myth

(Original post by Farchitect)
    Speaking as someone who has finished their degree and has been working in practice for a couple of years, the only subject you do need is Art...
    Was that your part 1 or 2? Also where'd you do it if you don't mind me asking

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.