Turn on thread page Beta

Wearing a Poppy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wearing a poppy on remembrance day is done to commemorate the lives of those who fought and died for Britain in war, those who fought for our freedom.

So why are (some) people offended by those who do not wear a poppy on remembrance day ? Is it not hypocrisy to expect people to wear one if those we wear it for died for our FREEDOM ? Some people donate and care but just don't like wearing the poppy, is it fine to **** these people off?

I wear a poppy badge because I want to remember those that made Britain what it is today. Me personally, I don't mind those that don't wear one because when they see mine they will remember them. I wear it to send out a message. I think it's wrong to judge/ridicule those that don't. That's such an immature thing to do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    Wearing a poppy on remembrance day is done to commemorate the lives of those who fought and died for Britain in war, those who fought for our freedom.

So why are (some) people offended by those who do not wear a poppy on remembrance day ? Is it not hypocrisy to expect people to wear one if those we wear it for died for our FREEDOM ? Some people donate and care but just don't like wearing the poppy, is it fine to **** these people off?
    Ehh people don't have to but if you don't it could suggest you don't respect what people did, whilst they won us freedom, we might as well take the time to buy a poppy to show we thought about them, whilst helping the soldiers of today. All the people in my company in CCF will wear a poppy in their beret as of this friday if they don't I'll put them in a show parade as I think it shows disrespect, especially if your considering to join the armed forces.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not take a badge/poppy/sticker when I donate to charity...it seems like a waste of resources and boasting about being a "good person".
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i dont wear it because i dont know how to. how does that massive green stem gonna poke through my jumper and stay?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a pacifist but I wear a white one as it winds a certain type of person up :yy:

I do feel that the poppy gets dragged through the mud when our leaders go on weapon trading missions to places like Saudi Arabia... Anyone can wear it and it will mean different things to different people. But it does feel an awful lot like some kind of group think and we aren't aloud to actually debate about what it means or what effect it has. It gets put through the religion machine to the point where Balanced up there is questioning my credentials as a British citizen

Lots of Soldiers who thought in WWII would have agreed with me.

ReputationRep:
    So much anti-Saudi hatred on this website, worse than stormfront

ReputationRep:
    I'd wear a white poppy if I could find one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I'd rather not take a badge/poppy/sticker when I donate to charity...it seems like a waste of resources and boasting about being a "good person".
    Realest poster out ere

ReputationRep:
    Muh freedoms :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Don't wear one if you don't want to. I don't mind. What I do mind are lefty idiots saying that you are some imperialist, war mongering scumbag if you do wear one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i wear a poppy because ou have to donate to wear it which i agree with but also because i have massive respect for the armed forces and absolutely love military history and as odd as it sounds the 11th is actually one of my favourite days as the whole country comes together to remeber and support the armed forces. if people choose not to wear a poppy then unless you are attending a military remeberence ceromeny i don't think it is much of an issue as people are entitled to their own opinion.

can we also appreciate that half of the time the poppies actually fall off especially those irritating stick on things so if ppl aren't wearing one it might have actually fallen off

:redrose:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    i wear a poppy because ou have to donate to wear it which i agree with but also because i have massive respect for the armed forces and absolutely love military history and as odd as it sounds the 11th is actually one of my favourite days as the whole country comes together to remeber and support the armed forces. if people choose not to wear a poppy then unless you are attending a military remeberence ceromeny i don't think it is much of an issue as people are entitled to their own opinion.

can we also appreciate that half of the time the poppies actually fall off especially those irritating stick on things so if ppl aren't wearing one it might have actually fallen off

:redrose:
    I thought you were gone for a while off TSR ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought you were gone for a while off TSR ?
    yeah, but i have finished my AS art so i came back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    yeah, but i have finished my AS art so i came back
    Welcome back
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome back
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I'm not a pacifist but I wear a white one as it winds a certain type of person up :yy:

I do feel that the poppy gets dragged through the mud when our leaders go on weapon trading missions to places like Saudi Arabia... Anyone can wear it and it will mean different things to different people. But it does feel an awful lot like some kind of group think and we aren't aloud to actually debate about what it means or what effect it has. It gets put through the religion machine to the point where Balanced up there is questioning my credentials as a British citizen

Lots of Soldiers who thought in WWII would have agreed with me.
    I wear a white one as well- I feel more comfortable with the symbolism behind it than with the red one. I don't see the white poppy as being disrespectful to veterans - many people who've served in conflicts go on to take a strong anti- war stance themselves.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    Don't wear one if you don't want to. I don't mind. What I do mind are lefty idiots saying that you are some imperialist, war mongering scumbag if you do wear one.
    Where I'm from, "I don't wear a poppy because those who fought and died for my freedom were shot by the British Army in Kilmainham Gaol in 1916 and throughout the Anglo-Irish War. For me, and for many others in this island, to wear a poppy is an act of treason against the Republic, and a profound insult to the memory of our patriot dead.

I respect those who belong to another tradition, and who retain the loyalty of their ancestors towards the British Crown. For them the courage of their fellow Irishmen who fought and died in Flanders fields is an enduring memory, an act of supreme sacrifice, and the blood offering by which they are bound for ever to the Queen and her successors. It is not a tradition to which I belong, as I am mindful of a different bloody sacrifice, offered in the Stonebreakers' Yard in May 1916, one by which part of this island was freed from foreign tyranny."

So, living in England, what do I do? I don't wear a poppy, but I observe the silence on the 11th of November, if I am in the UK. I make a point of attending a service as an act of courtesy towards the country in which I live, and to honour the memory of their dead.

People of similar political views to me - the left, basically - claim it as being: a sign of British imperialism because all of these people who 'died for our freedom' were being used to further the establishment's interests - especially in recent times... (Iraq *cough* oil)
    The Mighty Bush - I don't know what left wingers you've come across but it's clear you haven't met any real left wingers and are just a right winger - "lefties" being the word that confirms it. No average, run-of-the-mill left winger criticises and belittles what other people's views are - that's the righties.

ReputationRep:
    I wear a poppy as a sign of respect to my own family and the families of others who have lost loved ones fighting to protect this nation.

If you don't want to wear one that fine with me.

ReputationRep:
    They're part of the 'find the non-poppy wearers and be butthurt about it' club.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.