Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know what the graph of lnx,1/x and the line y=x looks like but I have no idea how to put it together.

Any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)
    I know what the graph of lnx,1/x and the line y=x looks like but I have no idea how to put it together.

Any help is appreciated
    look at Q21 in this link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_..._sketching.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Consider transformation of

1/x then simply inx/x not hard mate.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sorry to hijack this question but do you have any idea why when I input this into WolframAlpha it plots values for x \leq 0? Is it assuming that ln(x)=ln(|x|)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Sorry to hijack this question but do you have any idea why when I input this into WolframAlpha it plots values for x \leq 0? Is it assuming that ln(x)=ln(|x|)?
    no idea
    something to do with their settings...

lnx is only defined for x>0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super199)

Any help is appreciated
    Not sure if this helps but if you put (ln x)/x into google it should come up with a graph. You can pick a point 'x' and it will also give you the 'y' value.

Or you can use this : http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?nord=1...1&q=(ln+x)%2Fx

ReputationRep:
    First thing first, domain: x > 0, since the domain of ln x is x>0

Then look at the vertical asymptotes: x=0.

Then, horizontal aymptotes: \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{\ln x}{x} = 0, so the y-axis is a horizontal asymptote.

Investigate \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\ln x}{x}
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Can you see why it diverges to -infinity?

Roots: \ln x = 0 \iff x = ??

Stationary points and their values there, use the quotient rule and solve \displaystyle \left(\frac{\ln x}{x}\right)'=0 and then determine whether the stationary point will be a maximum or a minimum by looking at the second derivative or (preferably in my opinion, investigating sign changes of the first derivative).

This should allow you to plot it all.

ReputationRep:
    For x < 0, wolfram alpha plots the real part in blue and the imaginary part in orange. We assume that f(x) = \frac{\ln x}{x} is a real-valued function so it takes the domain x > 0, but it we work in the complex field then f(z) outputs complex numbers for x < 0 which WA attempts to plot by plotting the real and imaginary part separately. (To plot the actual curve in it's entirety would require four dimensions)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zacken)
    For x < 0, wolfram alpha plots the real part in blue and the imaginary part in orange. We assume that f(x) = \frac{\ln x}{x} is a real-valued function so it takes the domain x > 0, but it we work in the complex field then f(z) outputs complex numbers for x < 0 which WA attempts to plot by plotting the real and imaginary part separately. (To plot the actual curve in it's entirety would require four dimensions)
    Oh right, that makes sense. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, that makes sense. Thanks!
    You're very welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AK 12)
    Consider transformation of

1/x then simply inx/x not hard mate.
    Wot mate? I can't possibly see how that's helpful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 2, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.