Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I sort of have become inspired to lead a plant based diet, sort of like a vegan/vegetarian but I'll still eat meat/fish on occasions but not as often as I'm starting off slow.
    It's quite hard to start this diet off as I still live with my parents so the food they make is the food I eat and I'll get proper told off if I refuse to eat it and although, I'm able to ask my parents to buy some new healthy things however, I can't change the whole kitchen cupboard if rest makes sense.
    I've started with whole grain bread and pasta as these things my family can make and it's sort of my everyday food.
    Is there any advice you've got for me
    and also, whenever we go family shopping, is there anything I can look out for that is healthy but I guess, packaged?
    Or anything easy and short that I can make that have a small amount of ingredients to purchase.
    Additionally, I would prefer if you pick stores like sainsburys or tescos or marks and Spencer's
    I'm not really able to purchase foods from stores like wholefoods as there's not one near me.
    Although, I've got a Holland and Barrett's near me
    Thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    quorn , quorn and more quorn ! well not too much aha but its a greaat meat free source of protien. Try it with sauces though because it isnt nice by itself.

Also just any fruit and veg, nuts - basically whole foods so foods that havent been processed )

rice is also great instead of past if you are getting bored.

when you have pasta sauce try to make your own as its a milloin times better for you - its also super easy just get a tomato base add spices veg and water to your desired consistency

as well as this fruit smothies are fab

any supermarket will fo these ^
    good luck x

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to plant-based foods, I think basic is best. I shop at Tesco, and I get mostly everything I eat from there. I've listed things I normally eat, below, although I might have missed some things out.

Fruits; bananas, apples, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, pears, peaches, watermelon, mango (not everything at once, my basic fruits are bananas, apples and mixed berries), oranges, clementines, tangerines, avocados

Veggies and beans; green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, cucumber, red/yellow/green peppers, sprouts, lettuce (romaine), mixed salad leaves (spinach, watercress, lamb's lettuce), mushrooms, potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, onions, cabbage, courgette, carrots, parsnips, pak choi, edamame beans, heinz tomato beans (you can make your own if you want), kidney beans

Other staples; rice, quinoa, cous cous, pasta (rice or corn is my preference, you should be able to find something at Holland and Barrett), tinned chopped tomatoes (for sauces), Blue Dragon chilli dip sauce (good for easy, fast stir fries), Dolmio bolognese sauce, vitalife sunflower spread (not always), bagels (most are vegan), Blue Diamond Almond Breeze almond milk, cereals fortified with vitamins/Udis granola, lentils

I have a bunch of dried herbs too, I mostly use pepper, majoram, paprika, cinnamon, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc.
    I also use fresh mint and basil in some salads.

Other; quorn, trek health bars, nakd health bars, dried pineapple, dates, quinoa health bars (there are some good ones at Holland and Barret), Holland and Barrett flapjacks (most are vegan and delicious), innocent orange juice with bits, innocent smoothies, Tesco vegetable sushi, frozen veggie burgers, agave nectar, green tea, stevia, rice cakes, wholegrain bread

Since I don't eat meat, I take a vitamin B12, and maybe sometimes a multivitamin if there's a promotion at H&B
    Obviously work things out with your family, see what you can eat that they can eat too, so that everyone's happy. And out of the many possibilities of eating healthily, choose your favourite basic foods and stick to them. I have a few recipes that I use frequently, but I also like to experiment with recipes and try new things once in a while, as does anyone probably!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Nakd bars and great you can find them in tesco they are so nice and just fruit and nuts so vegan also quinoa or spelt pasta ( available in holland and barrets) are both healthy carb sources. Graze box is also awesome and sends healthy snacks in the post so great for school / collage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much guys

Honestly, I think this is going to be such a great start!
    I'm going to start with cereal bars and muesli and things and then go onto not having bread, but things like ryebread.
    Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloom77)
    Thank you so much guys

Honestly, I think this is going to be such a great start!
    I'm going to start with cereal bars and muesli and things and then go onto not having bread, but things like ryebread.
    Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, there really are lots of - inexpensive - options out there, it's just the case of looking for them! Have fun with this new way of eating, and give us an update from time to time if you want

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.