Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started this course in early September. And I have to say, i'm really hating college. It's a massive trek to get there. I'm constantly bored as I only enjoy the actual band practice/performance side of the course and one other lesson. I feel we never actually get much done as a class. I only truly like about 2 people and most of the people I hang with I sort of pretend to like as I find them boring and way too serious, especially compared to my friends in my hometown who I chill with all the time. I mess around, have banter, and have a good time with my friends and genuinely enjoy being around them. I'm close to them and I feel as if I can open up to them. I don't feel the same at college. I feel that if I say something or tell a joke that I'd normally say around my friends then people would find me rude and offensive. I can't relate to anyone, and i'm really hating most, if not all things involving college. I feel that the two days I get off are the only things that have actually kept me at the college. Any advice, or anyone experiencing/experienced the same as I am at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify when you say college do you mean college or university? Just wondering because you said "especially compared to my friends in my hometown who I chill with all the time." which gave me the idea it was uni?? But anyway haha

I was typing I hate college in the TSR search bar and found this.. OMG I CAN RELATE TO THIS SOOOOO MUCH. I'm in my first year and even though its almost over, I just don't feel comfortable or feel like this is my environment? I do BTEC Level 3 Extended Business and I honestly feel like nobody takes it seriously in my class.. They all aim for passes whereas I've got distinctions in all my units so far. I have a few classmates but I don't really have a lot in common so the conversations always go back to work or weather.. The amount of work I get is a lot so sometimes I feel like its hard to meet up with my friends outside of school which is the worst because I miss them sooo much. I'm thinking about moving college next year or finding a sixth form that have my course if that exists..

If you meant uni - I'd suggest joining societies?
    If you meant college - I'd suggest maybe thinking about moving to another college that is nearer to you or find out if your course is at places where you have friends at so that you're more at comfort. Or maybe try and do an additional subject next year because they could introduce you to more people? Or if they have clubs at your college e.g photography club maybe consider joining that because that could introduce you to more people?

ReputationRep:
    I used to hate college too, Ive made some awesome friends this year though so now I can tolerate it. My mates arent doing the same subjects as me which is nice, I didnt/havent really bonded with the people in my class, I'm not totally sure why? Anyhow I'm glad to be leaving! Hopefully university will be a whole heap better!

Try joining a club, thats how i made my friends!

If all else fails, stick it out for another year, you can get into uni and move on!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 18, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.