Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tips to get a high grade in eng Lang edexcel omam watch

ReputationRep:
    Tips to get a high grade in eng Lang edexcel omam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesunboy)
    Tips to get a high grade in eng Lang edexcel omam
    Okay I was projects Bs/Cs for English and I absolutely SMASHED this exam from pure hard work and ended with full marks on both. My teacher even paid to have my paper returned to read over as he was so shocked- idk how to feel about that

1) You MUST have read the book at least 2 times, or somehow now your way around the book. I cannot stress this enough! For each chapter, write down the key events so you know what happens where. Losing 3 mins in the exam from flipping through pages won't save you at all
    2) Structure: P.E.T.E.R. (Surely you know what this is right? :P) Repeat it for every single paragraph. All. The. Time.
    3) I was always stuck about whether or not you know to point something out or if it's stupid- the examiner doesn't care what you've spotted within the text, they wanna know how or why you spotted it. Was it the alliteration that stood out for you and altered the tone of the persona to a fun, charismatic voice which made the reader feel intrigued? Was it the animal metaphors when describing Lennie, which gives off the impression he's dependant on george yet violent at the same time? Learn those linguistic techniques!! Google them! Find a list!
    4) I didn't do any past paper questions for English bc they were too long imo, but reading mark schemes and examples of A* work compared to C work helped loads
    5) If you take a foreign language, use those words too. The reflexive verb in "Sat himself" emphasizes George's reactions to the death of Lennie.
    6) Learn synonyms. Don't repeat "This tells the reader that..." bc the text isn't stating/telling anything- anything you write in that exam is merely a theory as long as you back it with loads of evidence/embedded quotes. Use "Suggests to the reader that..." "Gives impression that..." "Implies that..." "Arouses the idea that..." GO MENTAL
    7) Before you write anything in that exam, ask the invidulators at the very start for some scrap paper which you can use to plan everything. In the given text, make sure you number how many paragraphs you need to make and label P, E, T, E, R along the side to briefly write your paragraph. I can't remember the marks given, but I remember for 10 markers I wrote 3 paragraphs, for 15 markers I wrote 4-5 and for the huge 30 marker I'd write as much as I could.

In the exam, blabbing can be okay. Even if its something as simple as "The adjective shows how happy he is", if you're keeping with the structure and really analyzing the text (no matter how strange it is, if you're really looking deep into the words you WILL get extra marks. If the examiner thinks "lmaoo never seen that before woah go u!!!" you will deffo get more marks)- I remember for Curley's Wife and how made up with make up she was, I had 10 mins left of the exam so I wrote some paragraph about how the verbs and adjectives are secretly saying she's a crazy woman in a world of her own and she isn't really in a relationship with curley, he's just her helper.

My English teacher came up to me the other day and said that was the weirdest thing he had ever seen anyone write, and the examiner made a note about my paper to be published online. It was such a stupid idea and spare of the moment, but I really backed it up with the verbs and paralinguistic features that it acc did seem real.

I had the worst teacher ever, so if you need any help with any quotes and you're stuck on what to say, PLEASE PM ME! I'll help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Okay I was projects Bs/Cs for English and I absolutely SMASHED this exam from pure hard work and ended with full marks on both. My teacher even paid to have my paper returned to read over as he was so shocked- idk how to feel about that

1) You MUST have read the book at least 2 times, or somehow now your way around the book. I cannot stress this enough! For each chapter, write down the key events so you know what happens where. Losing 3 mins in the exam from flipping through pages won't save you at all
    2) Structure: P.E.T.E.R. (Surely you know what this is right? :P) Repeat it for every single paragraph. All. The. Time.
    3) I was always stuck about whether or not you know to point something out or if it's stupid- the examiner doesn't care what you've spotted within the text, they wanna know how or why you spotted it. Was it the alliteration that stood out for you and altered the tone of the persona to a fun, charismatic voice which made the reader feel intrigued? Was it the animal metaphors when describing Lennie, which gives off the impression he's dependant on george yet violent at the same time? Learn those linguistic techniques!! Google them! Find a list!
    4) I didn't do any past paper questions for English bc they were too long imo, but reading mark schemes and examples of A* work compared to C work helped loads
    5) If you take a foreign language, use those words too. The reflexive verb in "Sat himself" emphasizes George's reactions to the death of Lennie.
    6) Learn synonyms. Don't repeat "This tells the reader that..." bc the text isn't stating/telling anything- anything you write in that exam is merely a theory as long as you back it with loads of evidence/embedded quotes. Use "Suggests to the reader that..." "Gives impression that..." "Implies that..." "Arouses the idea that..." GO MENTAL
    7) Before you write anything in that exam, ask the invidulators at the very start for some scrap paper which you can use to plan everything. In the given text, make sure you number how many paragraphs you need to make and label P, E, T, E, R along the side to briefly write your paragraph. I can't remember the marks given, but I remember for 10 markers I wrote 3 paragraphs, for 15 markers I wrote 4-5 and for the huge 30 marker I'd write as much as I could.

In the exam, blabbing can be okay. Even if its something as simple as "The adjective shows how happy he is", if you're keeping with the structure and really analyzing the text (no matter how strange it is, if you're really looking deep into the words you WILL get extra marks. If the examiner thinks "lmaoo never seen that before woah go u!!!" you will deffo get more marks)- I remember for Curley's Wife and how made up with make up she was, I had 10 mins left of the exam so I wrote some paragraph about how the verbs and adjectives are secretly saying she's a crazy woman in a world of her own and she isn't really in a relationship with curley, he's just her helper.

My English teacher came up to me the other day and said that was the weirdest thing he had ever seen anyone write, and the examiner made a note about my paper to be published online. It was such a stupid idea and spare of the moment, but I really backed it up with the verbs and paralinguistic features that it acc did seem real.

I had the worst teacher ever, so if you need any help with any quotes and you're stuck on what to say, PLEASE PM ME! I'll help!
    I can't thank you enough ur a total life saver and please tell me what Peter stand for and again thx

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.