Turn on thread page Beta

Chances of getting a PhD? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a tough time understanding how strong/weak a candidate I am for a PhD position.

I am a final year student studying biochemistry at the University of St Andrews. My grade average from last year is only slightly above the threshold for a 2.1 (messed up first semester). However, I do have a total of 8 months of experience working in various labs during my summer holidays.

If anyone could give me an indication of how likely I am to get a PhD coming straight out of Uni that would be great as it will influence my decision on whether or not to apply for a masters degree.

Apologies if this sort of thing has been posted a million times before.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in biochemistry and it might be different there, especially if you're in an area where there is industrial money, but in my field (CS) a 1st or an MSc distinction is the minimum prerequisite for funding under most circumstances. To lock it in you really want something more, like a decent publication from your UG or masters work (or from a summer job).

If you can self-fund, that is of course a completely different story, and I do hear that places with Doctoral Training Centres, especially recent ones, do find themselves with a lot of funded places to fill in a hurry, so might be more flexible.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The competition in the field is tough and most people doing PhDs already have a masters degree unless it's an MRes+PhD scheme. You may not struggle to get a place but may struggle to get funding. Having said that though, the lab experience helps and I went straight from undergrad to PhD and did biochem for my first degree + am a non-EU international so it's not impossible. I'd say apply for masters degrees, jobs and PhDs and see where you get to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    The competition in the field is tough and most people doing PhDs already have a masters degree unless it's an MRes+PhD scheme. You may not struggle to get a place but may struggle to get funding. Having said that though, the lab experience helps and I went straight from undergrad to PhD and did biochem for my first degree + am a non-EU international so it's not impossible. I'd say apply for masters degrees, jobs and PhDs and see where you get to.
    Very good advice, thanks.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.