The Student Room Group

Uni dilemma- law or UCFB?

Hi, this is my first ever TSR post so sorry if it should have gone somewhere else! :smile:

I'm currently in the process of applying for uni and need some help with my decision. Before I start I need to outline that I dream of working within the football industry, possibly in the legal or agent side of things. I love football, have a comprehensive knowledge of it and probably watch 5 or 6 games a week. Even as I write this I have Palermo-Empoli on in the background!

Anyway, I got 4A*s and 7As at GCSE and 3As as well as a D (I found geology really boring!) at AS. I'm currently predicted AAA in my three other subjects of geography, history and politics. I was thinking of applying to do law and putting down LSE as an aspirational choice with Exeter, Surrey, UEA and Edinburgh as my other options.

However, out of curiosity I searched for "football" on the UCAS course finder one day and came across UCFB which offers bespoke degrees in the football industry. I was wondering though are these degrees just business degrees with case studies on football? I don't really want to go to study general business! What really caught my eye about UCFB is the placements they offer working within different teams, gaining experience and contacts within the industry. They also have a 90% employability rate 6 months after graduation.

At the end of the day is it just a 'mickey mouse degree' at a low ranked uni or is it worthwhile? Would I be better off doing a law degree? What is the best way into football? Thanks for reading :smile:
I'd urge caution with UCFB. It was only founded in 2011, so it doesn't exactly have a long track record in terms of what its graduates are doing, and it's likely to be a very small sample size, and 90% is actually pretty low compared to the other unis you've mentioned. I would also urge you to look at the number of UCFB graduates in graduate level employment - for all you know, all their graduates are stacking shelves in JD Sports for a living, rather than going on to glamorous football careers.

It's also worth mentioning that UCFB is not a university as such - it can't award its own degrees - so your degree certificate will actually be from Bucks New University.

There are lots of ways to move into the football sector after graduating. The one person I know working for a football club in the legal department did a law degree first (at Oxbridge) and then went to work there. I'd suggest doing a more traditional degree and then (crucially) getting work experience alongside your degree, which will make you much more employable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending