Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice please. watch

Announcements

Hi all,

I have a problem and I would really love some advice.

Basically, I've been dating a guy for almost 7 months, and he'd like me to go visit his house in Cornwall in December. I live in London. It's an internet relationship - yes I know some people will say it's not real :P - and we haven't met face to face yet.

Now, I would like to go, but I would also like to tell my parents that we're meeting up. It's perfectly possible for me to go without my parents finding out - I am 18 and living in halls at Uni. My mum can be paranoid and I'd feel very bad going without her knowing, because if she found out then that would set off her paranoia even more. Morally, I think it's the right thing to do.

My mum has responded very negatively to me talking to people online. She has stalked my Facebook multiple times and made me remove people who she doesn't recognize. She randomly accuses me of "not adding her on Facebook because I'm flirting with weird old men." One time I went to London to see some out of school friends, who I met at ComicCon, and she would accuse me of meeting up with people online. She thinks everyone on the Internet is a pedo who is going to maim and kill/rape me. Another point is that she hates me going to places by myself. I'm not allowed to go to London by myself, let alone Cornwall. (Although, in Cornwall, I would be picked up straight from the train station.)

However, I have so much evidence that my boyfriend is the guy he says he is. We call pretty much every night. I have plenty of selfies from him which pass the "Google reverse image check." I've been in calls with his flatmates, so I know they exist too. He's sent me plenty of snapchats of the university he's studying at - I even saw his UCAS application confirming that he's an 18 year old student.

I can't see my parents being happy that I'm dating someone from the Internet and that I want to travel so far to see him. However, I really do think it's the right thing to tell my parents that I'd like to go. And I really wanna go, long distance is so hard! We're serious about this relationship, so they have to know at some point.

Not sure exactly where I'm going with this.. I think, I'd like to know what people would do in my situation. And does anyone have any advice or tips for telling my parents? I think I need an unbiased opinion on whether I'm being a huge fool or not.

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Go with a friend? Meet him and then after your worries are gone get him to meet your mom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all,

I have a problem and I would really love some advice.

Basically, I've been dating a guy for almost 7 months, and he'd like me to go visit his house in Cornwall in December. I live in London. It's an internet relationship - yes I know some people will say it's not real :P - and we haven't met face to face yet.

Now, I would like to go, but I would also like to tell my parents that we're meeting up. It's perfectly possible for me to go without my parents finding out - I am 18 and living in halls at Uni. My mum can be paranoid and I'd feel very bad going without her knowing, because if she found out then that would set off her paranoia even more. Morally, I think it's the right thing to do.

My mum has responded very negatively to me talking to people online. She has stalked my Facebook multiple times and made me remove people who she doesn't recognize. She randomly accuses me of "not adding her on Facebook because I'm flirting with weird old men." One time I went to London to see some out of school friends, who I met at ComicCon, and she would accuse me of meeting up with people online. She thinks everyone on the Internet is a pedo who is going to maim and kill/rape me. Another point is that she hates me going to places by myself. I'm not allowed to go to London by myself, let alone Cornwall. (Although, in Cornwall, I would be picked up straight from the train station.)

However, I have so much evidence that my boyfriend is the guy he says he is. We call pretty much every night. I have plenty of selfies from him which pass the "Google reverse image check." I've been in calls with his flatmates, so I know they exist too. He's sent me plenty of snapchats of the university he's studying at - I even saw his UCAS application confirming that he's an 18 year old student.

I can't see my parents being happy that I'm dating someone from the Internet and that I want to travel so far to see him. However, I really do think it's the right thing to tell my parents that I'd like to go. And I really wanna go, long distance is so hard! We're serious about this relationship, so they have to know at some point.

Not sure exactly where I'm going with this.. I think, I'd like to know what people would do in my situation. And does anyone have any advice or tips for telling my parents? I think I need an unbiased opinion on whether I'm being a huge fool or not.

Thank you in advance
    Yes, like what the poster above me said, maybe go with a couple of friends or a family member you can trust to be confidential? Do you have a great uncle or some fairly mobile grandparents or any aunts or uncles you can go with?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I agree with taking a friend when you visit him. You need to explain the situation to him as well. I'm sure if you explain your mother's concerns, he will understand why you've brought someone with you.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I would just go to be honest. You are old enough to make your own decisions and I don't think it is necessarily any of your parents business - especially when they have shown an inability to be reasonable. This said, if you are sure you want to tell them then 1) be completely honest and 2) make clear to them that you are telling them because you love them and not because you need their permission - because you don't. Taking a friend is fine if he is okay with it, which he probably will be.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.