Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not liking my course - thinking of dropping out watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,I took Computer and Information systems, researching it would be different from constant coding and mathematical based learning, which is mainly Computer Science.

After starting the course and not making many friends, having talked to some, it seems that every single computing related student is in all of my lectures and as time went on, the course began to feel a lot more coding and mathematical based.

Everyone doing Computer info and systems, computer science, software development, computing and every computing related course are doing the exact same thing, when I picked computer info and systems trying to avoid the more mathematical and coding based area of computing.As a result, I'm not really enjoying my course. I'm not enjoying the coding area, specifically Java and I don't seem to be getting much help with it and beginning to really struggle and I don't feel I'll enjoy the coding and maths very much in the future, certainly not for 3 years. It's making me want to drop out.

With not enjoying it, it's not giving me motivation. I want to get through this and see what the next semister modules are like and hopefully get onto next year and hopefully the course becomes more specific. It's just really stressing me out because if I fail this assignment, I fail the entire year...

What shall I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukepo)
    Hello,I took Computer and Information systems, researching it would be different from constant coding and mathematical based learning, which is mainly Computer Science.

After starting the course and not making many friends, having talked to some, it seems that every single computing related student is in all of my lectures and as time went on, the course began to feel a lot more coding and mathematical based.

Everyone doing Computer info and systems, computer science, software development, computing and every computing related course are doing the exact same thing, when I picked computer info and systems trying to avoid the more mathematical and coding based area of computing.As a result, I'm not really enjoying my course. I'm not enjoying the coding area, specifically Java and I don't seem to be getting much help with it and beginning to really struggle and I don't feel I'll enjoy the coding and maths very much in the future, certainly not for 3 years. It's making me want to drop out.

With not enjoying it, it's not giving me motivation. I want to get through this and see what the next semister modules are like and hopefully get onto next year and hopefully the course becomes more specific. It's just really stressing me out because if I fail this assignment, I fail the entire year...

What shall I do?
    I am in the EXACT same position as you. I'm doing computer science and i absolutley hate it. I initially wanted to do computer networks and secuurity, but didn't because when I looked at the modules for that course and ALL of the other computer related courses, there were 3-4 modules that were the same for all courses in the first year. They were: procedural programming; maths, stats and computing; information engineering, and c++ programming. So instead of doing a degree in networks and security, I decided to do it in compsci because it's more employable. I don't understand why they have modules that are the same for all computer courses in the first year. And, just like you, this procedural programming module is stressing me out because I'm doing poor in it. I'm just going to stick it out for this year, and then hopefully next year see if I want to switch to computer networks and security. There isn't another option for me, unfortunatley. I'd say the same to you, just stick it out and try to get the best makrs you possibly can... Good luck, dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InfiniteWisdom)
    I am in the EXACT same position as you. I'm doing computer science and i absolutley hate it. I initially wanted to do computer networks and secuurity, but didn't because when I looked at the modules for that course and ALL of the other computer related courses, there were 3-4 modules that were the same for all courses in the first year. They were: procedural programming; maths, stats and computing; information engineering, and c++ programming. So instead of doing a degree in networks and security, I decided to do it in compsci because it's more employable. I don't understand why they have modules that are the same for all computer courses in the first year. And, just like you, this procedural programming module is stressing me out because I'm doing poor in it. I'm just going to stick it out for this year, and then hopefully next year see if I want to switch to computer networks and security. There isn't another option for me, unfortunatley. I'd say the same to you, just stick it out and try to get the best makrs you possibly can... Good luck, dude.
    It's very encouraging to see someone in the same position. I was thinking of doing the same. Thanks for the advice.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.