Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I graduated from University in 2014 with 68% (2:1) in International Relations and Politics. I did a few history modules, i also have an A in A-Level History and A* at GCSE Level.

I am concerned that I won't be accepted due to my lack of history-related degree experience - as it was only a small amount of modules that were history related (and ironically where I got my highest marks).

Does anyone have any advice or experience for something similar?

I have classroom experience of 3 weeks at a primary school and 6 weeks as a private and group tutor for ages from 7-17 years old in History and English.

Am I doomed already? I will be crushed if they say no, I'm an avid history fanatic, member of local groups and spend most of my free-time reading work of historians.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has gone through similar.

ReputationRep:
    Email some unis whose pgce courses interest you. The history modules from your degree should definitely help. A levels and GCSEs may be less likely to be taken into account.

The absolute worst that will happen is they advise you taking a PgCert/PgDip/MA in history.

(I had a similar experience when making subject specific enquiries for pgce courses).

Let us know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm also a Pol/IR grad (2005) and now an NQT teaching history and A Level Politics, so it's definitely possible!

I trained on a school direct (history) salaried route - when I applied I was very careful to show how th whole of my degree was applicable to history, including skills such as evaluation and essay writing. I also spent a year in.paid employment in a school prior to applying which helped.

Oh, and I got a D (!!!) in A Level History, which wasn't as horrendous in 2002 as it would be now, I still went to an RG uni.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It is supposed to be at least 50% of your degree with History, and as it's really competitive subject this might knock you back a bit. However, I would definitely e-mail universities and ask them, particularly as you are so enthusiastic about it.

Alternately, you could go down the Politics PGCE route, and at any schools you work at you could suggest you could teach History as well - as you have an A-Level and degree experience you would definitely be allowed to do that, and some schools might expect you to teach something else anyway if they only have a small Politics department (you might even be able to apply for some specific History teaching jobs with a PGCE in a different subject, though I would definitely definitely clarify this with someone who knows more than me - on here, but also something worth asking universities when you email them as they will have a better idea)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm applying for the School Direct salaried in History. I was wondering if you could tell me what the interview process was like? I'm a little nervous about teaching a sample lesson. What is expected of an applicant? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi

In my interview I had to teach a sample lesson, answer an unseen (and unknown topic) as level question, create a scheme of work and the interview. In the interview I was very clear about how my previous career was relevant to teaching (this is why they pay you / your fees!!). I later found out that in the sample lesson they were looking for presence, how I interacted with students, passion for subject etc. This makes sense as they will train you to actually teach! So plan something that will allow you to show this kind of thing off maybe - all providers differ of course and this may be irrelevant!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thanks for that. Slightly worried about the sample lesson to be honest. I've spoken to the provider and they didn't say anything about answering an AS question so hopefully that will have changed. If not I shall have to brush up on essay writing. I graduated five years ago so this is all very daunting. What topic did you do for the sample lesson? A couple of people have said it can be a period in history others have said more like 'what is history?'. Thanks for the advice. Can I just ask what your previous career was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhudson)

Thanks for that. Slightly worried about the sample lesson to be honest. I've spoken to the provider and they didn't say anything about answering an AS question so hopefully that will have changed. If not I shall have to brush up on essay writing. I graduated five years ago so this is all very daunting. What topic did you do for the sample lesson? A couple of people have said it can be a period in history others have said more like 'what is history?'. Thanks for the advice. Can I just ask what your previous career was?
    Hi, I was in Finance...! For my sample lesson I took in a load of random artefacts and.got the kids to.work in groups to work out what they were / what they could learn from the past about them. Then they did a teach each other activity. I would keep it very simple, give clear instructions, and let them work together with you moving round the room checking
    understanding. All providers are different, it's likely you won't need to.any writing. Even if you do, it was more than five years for.me and I was fine!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.