Turn on thread page Beta

Professional football watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am a footballer who is currently in the youth team of a semi pro club that play in around the fifth division of english football. I have been told if i carry on like i am doing i should make the first team by next year (i will be 17/18). I have been in academies and am told a lot that i could make it as a pro.

however i want a change a would like to play in another country. My question is that would i be able to get into an mls team in America say at the age of 19 (knowing that a lot of mls players have spent their youth career in college teams and not semi pro teams like me)? and if so then how would i go about it?

ReputationRep:
    You're in the youth team of a Conference side, it's a bit early to start thinking MLS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie mike)
    Hi, i am a footballer who is currently in the youth team of a semi pro club that play in around the fifth division of english football. I have been told if i carry on like i am doing i should make the first team by next year (i will be 17/18). I have been in academies and am told a lot that i could make it as a pro.

however i want a change a would like to play in another country. My question is that would i be able to get into an mls team in America say at the age of 19 (knowing that a lot of mls players have spent their youth career in college teams and not semi pro teams like me)? and if so then how would i go about it?
    Realistically if you want to have any chance of playing in the MLS you're going to have to go through the US College route. If you don't then you have virtually no chance as very few young players are signed to MLS clubs without going through the College system, and unless you're a well established professional then you're not going to stand a chance of being signed.

Also bear in mind that at least half of the players in the MLS could make it at Championship level over here, the vast majority that couldn't would be top end of League 1, and so while it's not the best league in the world it's not exactly dreadful, so you would have to be a good player to even stand a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Look into soccer scholarships at college: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34097904?

There are some companies that charge you to find you a scholarship - buyer beware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Look into soccer scholarships at college: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34097904?

There are some companies that charge you to find you a scholarship - buyer beware.
    Thank you very much, this was very helpful!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Realistically if you want to have any chance of playing in the MLS you're going to have to go through the US College route. If you don't then you have virtually no chance as very few young players are signed to MLS clubs without going through the College system, and unless you're a well established professional then you're not going to stand a chance of being signed.

Also bear in mind that at least half of the players in the MLS could make it at Championship level over here, the vast majority that couldn't would be top end of League 1, and so while it's not the best league in the world it's not exactly dreadful, so you would have to be a good player to even stand a chance.
    Thank you for this, I know it is not easy to play football anywhere, I just don't see any future in the uk as a young English player. I have been at category 1 academies and I think I am good enough to compete in America.

ReputationRep:
    been in category one academies but have chosen not to sign contracts because I'm also carrying on with my education at the highest level. I play here because its full on enough to keep me fit but not too full on to neglect an education

ReputationRep:
    Yes, look into soccer scholarships. I think they organise camps in England where college coaches come to watch and (possibly) recruit. I don't know which organisations are reputable though and which just take your money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie mike)
    been in category one academies but have chosen not to sign contracts because I'm also carrying on with my education at the highest level. I play here because its full on enough to keep me fit but not too full on to neglect an education
    I'm curious, could you tell me how often your first team trains? In the evenings, I assume? Do they do any conditioning as well or is that up to the individual? How many people in the team came down from professional academies? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious about high-level non-league football.

ReputationRep:
    This may interest you, you can see which colleges are good:
    http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1

Also, some excellent info here:
    http://www.lfe.org.uk/files/American-Scholarship.pdf

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.