Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Someone's sleeping in my bed! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So there's a guy who "moved in" a month ago as he needed somewhere to live as he started a new job in the city. He is friends with 2 of my flatmates. I'm in a 4 bed house and this guy is the 5th person. I wasn't too keen on the idea from the start, as we are all students and it's breaking our contract with the landlord and council tax rules because he's in employment and the rest of us are students.
    Anyway the agreement was he would sleep on a fold down bed in one of the friends rooms temporary and would give us each £100 for it.
    But on the nights I stay at my girlfriend he sleeps in my bed. He's a smoker and the sheets stink of smoke and his aftershave. He's staying for at least another month and doesn't seem to be looking for somewhere else to live. My flatmate thinks he will be there till the end of the lease next July. Everyone apart from me is quite happy he's there as he's giving everyone £100. But if I kick up a fuss - they'll be like but your not sleeping in the bed and he's giving you £100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asoftersin)
    So there's a guy who "moved in" a month ago as he needed somewhere to live as he started a new job in the city. He is friends with 2 of my flatmates. I'm in a 4 bed house and this guy is the 5th person. I wasn't too keen on the idea from the start, as we are all students and it's breaking our contract with the landlord and council tax rules because he's in employment and the rest of us are students.
    Anyway the agreement was he would sleep on a fold down bed in one of the friends rooms temporary and would give us each £100 for it.
    But on the nights I stay at my girlfriend he sleeps in my bed. He's a smoker and the sheets stink of smoke and his aftershave. He's staying for at least another month and doesn't seem to be looking for somewhere else to live. My flatmate thinks he will be there till the end of the lease next July. Everyone apart from me is quite happy he's there as he's giving everyone £100. But if I kick up a fuss - they'll be like but your not sleeping in the bed and he's giving you £100.
    You agreed with the landlord to have rights to the property for a period of time. You pay rent for this. It did not involve some smelly loser sleeping in your room. If he wants to stay tell him to sort it with the landlord.

If it were me and I was in his position I would have enough respect to not sleep in another person's room.
    If you are worried about falling out with your friends; any friends who let him get away with this are not really your friends.

Simply put he has no right to be there, he is disrespectful, and if £100 is not enough to cover that for you then you are pefectly entitled to tell him to get lost. Your friends can say what they want-just tell them that a) he was not supposed to use your room, b) £100 does not cover that and c) if he wants his own room how about he rents a place like everyone else has to.

Point out as well that your problem is with him using your room; that is so stupid, especially since you are doing him a favour by having him around. If your friends can't see that then they are stupid or just taking you for a fool.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I wouldn't be too happy either. For me, it's nothing to do with the money. It's the fact that he's sleeping in your bed without your permission. Surprised your room doesn't have a lock tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Not on. Regardless of whether you are there or not, your privacy has been breached if anyone is accessing your personal space without permission. Your housemates are wrong to allow this and you should raise it.

Furthermore, no fag smelling dude is scratching their balls under my bedsheets. Eff that! Nope, nope, nope!

ReputationRep:
    At the very least can you not lock your room door when you are away?

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't deal with this at all, and in your situation would just issue an ultimatum- if he sleeps in your bed again, you'll report the situation to the landlord.

You could also be setting yourselves up for serious problems if the landlord finds out, or if the council tax situation is investigated. If the house is not considered a HMO (and it may not be, especially as it sounds like you don't have a lock on your door), it's usually the tenants that are liable for council tax, not your landlord. It's also worth bearing in mind that if the house is considered overcrowded, you or the landlord could be liable for prosecution.

Ideally, you need this person to leave as soon as possible. It's a nice gesture to let them stay, but I'm guessing the other tenants haven't considered that there could be consequences for doing this.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if this guy starts a fire and burns the house down? Landlord insurance only covers tenants so you'll be liable.

What if he robs you all? Or suddenly starts claiming to be a legal squatter?

The fact that he is paying you guys a rent makes you his landlord. Has he paid a deposit? Have you registered it? Do you have a drawn up tenancy agreement? Do you have landlord insurance? Are you conducting gas safety checks? Etc.

This can end horrifically badly for you all. Get rid of him.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna mostly ignore the legal issues because those have been covered well by others...

There's a difference between a housemate temporarily allowing a friend to stay for a week or so until they have accommodation sorted and them moving someone into your house for the entire tenancy. A month would be too much anyway but now being told he's staying until July is disgusting and would be worth a complaint anyway. But he is coming into your room, sleeping in your bed and acting like he's entitled to. Joint tenants legally have the right to enter any part of the property but it's pretty rude to go into a housemate's bedroom without permission unless something needs to be sorted in that room that affects the other tenants. This guy is not on your tenancy agreement and therefore should not be going into your room without permission. At any point. If he is not actively looking for his own accommodation (searching online, looking at properties) he needs to leave. He should be finding the first place that is liveable that he can afford. The decision whether he can stay is not a democratic decision where everyone votes and the majority wins. You don't want him there. He is not on your tenancy. He leaves.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.