Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stressed at uni, dont know what to do watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am feeling stressed out after my second attempt at university.

In my first attempt on a Chemical Engineering degree, I dropped out after about 4 months and took out the year and re-applied for computer science with maths.

Problem is I don't like this new degree (computer science) and feel intimidated by the lecture content and dont seem to understand the stuff much and feel no "motivation" to study hard. I have just lost any dedication to work hard and do not know where my life is heading. I am feeling a bit depressed at times, but I try to pull myself up.

If anyone has advise on this I would thank you so much for it.

ReputationRep:
    Go and see your Personal Tutor.

This is exactly the sort of situation that they are there to help with. And they will know how to help, and how to help you through this. If they have an 'open door' session, just go and see him/her as soon as you can, or email them and briefly explain how you are feeling.

Or, you could go to your Uni counselling service (usually at the Uni Health Centre) who can deal with any depression issues - this is very common amongst first year students. Again they will know how to help and will have ways of getting you back on track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Go and see your Personal Tutor.

This is exactly the sort of situation that they are there to help with. And they will know how to help, and how to help you through this. If they have an 'open door' session, just go and see him/her as soon as you can, or email them and briefly explain how you are feeling.

Or, you could go to your Uni counselling service (usually at the Uni Health Centre) who can deal with any depression issues - this is very common amongst first year students. Again they will know how to help and will have ways of getting you back on track.
    I am thinking of changing to an easier course that I can cope with - unfortunately I don't feel like studying currently, as I feel fatigue and feel bored of studying. But I don't want to regret not working hard (even though I am currently trying, but to no success), and in 3-4 years time ending with a degree that is of little use.
    All in all, I have just reduced in capability in regards to academic ability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jav.21)
    I am thinking of changing to an easier course that I can cope with - unfortunately I don't feel like studying currently, as I feel fatigue and feel bored of studying. But I don't want to regret not working hard (even though I am currently trying, but to no success), and in 3-4 years time ending with a degree that is of little use.
    All in all, I have just reduced in capability in regards to academic ability
    Go and see your Personal Tutor.....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Go and see your Personal Tutor.....?
    Unfortunately they were not able to offer any useful advise. The department staff just seem cold, and expect you to get on with everything. I don't know who else to ask help from. I feel nausea thinking about this.

ReputationRep:
    Go and see either the counselling service at the health centre, or a welfare officer at your SU.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Backing up RM here... Unfortunately there isn't a lot that we can do via TSR as your issues seem to stem deeper than just being unhappy with uni.

Most universities offer access to a confidential counselling service, enquire at your student support centre. Speaking to someone is a great way to look at issues that you're having, either with university or your personal life, and work with them to resolve them.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm this doesent seem just about uni work go see counsellor why are you fatigued, maybe you should work for a while and study part time on a course you actually enjoy not just one that will get you a job, so far uve chosen two mathsy courses time to think about another field?

ReputationRep:
    If you can stick computer science with maths and get a good degree out of it, you will potentially end up with a really decent salary and employers will bite your hand off!

My experiences are not too dissimilar to yours - I dropped out of uni 1 and still struggled at uni 2 but there was no bloody way I was letting myself drop out again! I sat through some of my lectures in 1st year 'not getting it' and frankly did very little study beyond the essential assessed stuff but still came out with a 2.1 equivalent at end of 1st year. If you understood all the lecture material of a course like yours you would probably end up being top in your year group! What is in the lectures and what is examinable areoften two different things. Get yourself some past papers. If you think you can spot the patterns in the questions and get a reasonable mark (remember 40% will do in 1st year but try and get higher of course!) with a bit of revision you will be fine.

Are you living in? How is your social life? If you are confident enough, ask your coursemates for help/to be a 'study buddy' - a lot of problems set are easier solved when more than one mind is working on it.

I think you do need to go to student counselling (I only did in my 2nd year, while it is no magic wand, and in many ways I felt I went after the horse had bolted, it does help in some ways) - and look at getting medication for depression (again, only started in my 2nd year, I SO wish I started it in 1st year.)

I think you should fight the year out and I wish you luck! Things should improve!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.