Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Loan repayment negotiation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have about £25k of '09 start loans with SLC. I have an opportunity to pay back the entire amount or let it tick over on minimum payments. I was wondering if SLC is ever willing to negotiate in order to secure full, early repayment? I've been furiously googling for the last hour or so but have not been able to find any case studies of this.

If it makes any difference I am off to the US soon. I hope the SLC liaison will be able to comment on whether its physically possible for non mortgage loans, rather than its likelihood of succeeding.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

No you would not be able to do this, the loans do need to be repaid in full.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    So they wouldn't be willing to negotiate even the smallest bit to secure immediate full payment of the balance, over letting it sit on minimum repayments for the next 20 years?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    No. As Student Loans are paid from public funds, we are unable to negotiate on your outstanding balance.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.