Turn on thread page Beta

Halloween and mental health stigmatisation watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I've been really upset the last couple of days as two people I know dressed up as mental health sufferers for Halloween - one as a suicide victim and the other as a well known celebrity undergoing a public breakdown caused by a variety of mental health conditions.

I looked up what I should do and asked some other friends and they said to try and address it, explain why you're upset and hopefully raise some awareness. I tried to do it in the best way I could, I tried to be tactful and make them aware I wasn't attacking them as a person I was just trying to talk to them about why their costumes bothered me. I've suffered from mental health conditions for years and other mutual friends have too so it's not something that ought to be alien to them.

I've now been labelled a *****, a kill joy, someone trying to force people to conform and be 'normal' and generally have received a lot of hate for just trying to do what I thought was the right thing. I addressed the fact that they had absolute freedom to do what they wanted and that I would never try and stop them doing it, but just pointing out that this made me incredibly sad. What do I do? I've received a lot of support but I'm feeling really really down about it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.