Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feel like dropping out of CompSci watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In the last few weeks I am really doubting myself whether I should continue with computer science

I am in my 1st year of CS, and doubt whether it is for me, I don't really enjoy it, but chose it because I was not sure what else to study (already tried Chem.Eng, and struggled) but now feel like choosing an easy, or what some of you may call a "mickey mouse degree", as I feel like my abilities have been washed down, due to stress and anxiety.

To address, specifically what my issue is, I just dislike sitting on a computer for hours and learning computing and programming. I just don't know if I will enjoy anything else either, as my dislike for studying has become generalised, in that I have lost the plot and ambition for studies etc.

TLR : On a Computer Science degree, not enjoying it, don't know what else to study, feel alone at uni, no friends, (this is my second attempt at going into uni), A-level wise I was a decent student, suffer from generalised anxiety (undiagnosed).

ReputationRep:
    Oh crumbs - what a dilemma. Why don't you study nothing? I think it is such a shame that society now dictates that the only way to cut your teeth in this world is to go to university. Yet in the same breath they harp on about a lack of plumbers! University is not the only way in this world. You could get a job. You could travel. You could start your own business. The whole world is open to you, but you have been forced into taking the biggest decision of your life (honestly) at the point you have the least knowledge or experience to make it.

So if you are going to ditch your subject, make a plan. However, I don't suggest you jump straight back into uni. Take some time out and spend a bit of time experiencing the world before taking a view on whether university is for you or not.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Oh crumbs - what a dilemma. Why don't you study nothing? I think it is such a shame that society now dictates that the only way to cut your teeth in this world is to go to university. Yet in the same breath they harp on about a lack of plumbers! University is not the only way in this world. You could get a job. You could travel. You could start your own business. The whole world is open to you, but you have been forced into taking the biggest decision of your life (honestly) at the point you have the least knowledge or experience to make it.

So if you are going to ditch your subject, make a plan. However, I don't suggest you jump straight back into uni. Take some time out and spend a bit of time experiencing the world before taking a view on whether university is for you or not.

Good luck!
    I have always aimed to go through the typical university route, at the time I was coping well, but some things have gone downhill, so I don't want to quit now and regret it later. But I am not sure how.

ReputationRep:
    If you're having second thoughts, trying picking a subject that maybe related to Computing maybe? Do your research and look at modules of other course and you're bound to find something you like mate. No point doing a course you don't enjoy or know you won't do well in.

ReputationRep:
    what interests do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jav.21)
    I have always aimed to go through the typical university route, at the time I was coping well, but some things have gone downhill, so I don't want to quit now and regret it later. But I am not sure how.
    If you don't want to quit now for fear of regret then you need to knuckle down and get on with it. There are many things in life we have to do that we don't like. I am just sorry you discovering this now.

Hang in there and good luck. Enjoy it for what it is and take one day at a time!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.