Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hate having such a common name :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's so annoying! ugh I hate not being able to answer to my name - Can I just go by a different name in uni?

ReputationRep:
    What is your name? Or you prefer a nickname?

ReputationRep:
    Just use a nickname?

ReputationRep:
    Going by a different name is fine, you can choose whatever name you'd like to be referred to as a nickname. I know a few people who had hard to pronounce names (they are Turkish) and they chose simpler names like "Melissa" at university and it worked out for them.

What is your name? And can you shorten it or go by a nickname.

I know someone who goes by his nickname and introduces himself like that so worth a try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    What is your name? And can you shorten it or go by a nickname.

I know someone who goes by his nickname and introduces himself like that so worth a try
    My birth name is Sarah and I hate it as it is the most overused, generic boring name you can think of and is extremely difficult to go by a nickname. I have found one that have stuck to and introduced a few people by it though, but at school everyone knows me as Sarah which I don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armastan)
    Going by a different name is fine, you can choose whatever name you'd like to be referred to as a nickname. I know a few people who had hard to pronounce names (they are Turkish) and they chose simpler names like "Melissa" at university and it worked out for them.
    But how did that work out? I swear you have to apply university with your birth name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiotGirll)
    Just use a nickname?
    I have kinda found a nickname that I have introduced a few people by. But my name can't even be really made into a nickname which I hate so much! ugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    What is your name? Or you prefer a nickname?
    My name is sarah. I hate it so much. And it's so difficult to be made into a nickname, I have found one and have introduced a few people to it but it's so hard for me to get people I currently know to go by my new preferred name.

ReputationRep:
    No worries - my name's Laura, and when I was at uni, in a group of around 50 of us, there were 7 Lauras, including me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingKitsune)
    No worries - my name's Laura, and when I was at uni, in a group of around 50 of us, there were 7 Lauras, including me.
    lol, I guess that's super annoying. Do you like having a common name? I hate mines and I'm thinking of changing it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    But how did that work out? I swear you have to apply university with your birth name?
    You put your birth name on the application, yes, but there's a "preferred name" option that you can enter the nickname in so that is what they will call you or you can personally make a request and they will use that name to refer to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armastan)
    You put your birth name on the application, yes, but there's a "preferred name" option that you can enter the nickname in so that is what they will call you or you can personally make a request and they will use that name to refer to you.
    Oh, that's cool xD

ReputationRep:
    My name is sarah. I hate it so much. And it's so difficult to be made into a nickname, I have found one and have introduced a few people to it but it's so hard for me to get people I currently know to go by my new preferred name.
    Just explain to them Im sure they would understand

I am thinking of doing this too. I have a horrible old fashioned name

ReputationRep:
    You could just change your name if you hate it that much.

ReputationRep:
    Just explain to them Im sure they would understand

I am thinking of doing this too. I have a horrible old fashioned name
    lol hm, but it would be so random to announce it to them,
    What's your name?- can't be worse than mine.

ReputationRep:
    my surname is "Aurangzeb" - the amount of people who struggle with pronouncing it kills me. so awful.

ReputationRep:
    lol hm, but it would be so random to announce it to them,
    What's your name?- can't be worse than mine.
    Yeah I feel you. I haven't decided on a nickname yet though lol

Margaret. My grandma chose it :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I feel you. I haven't decided on a nickname yet though lol

Margaret. My grandma chose it :rofl:
    Yeah, that's why I think it's just best to wait until uni so my new friends can call me by my preferred name

Oh, good luck in finding one, I can only think of marge atm lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    my surname is "Aurangzeb" - the amount of people who struggle with pronouncing it kills me. so awful.
    But I'm only talking about first name struggles

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.