Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I just wanted to know what subjects you are all doing? I am in 5th year and doing Higher French, Higher English, Higher Modern Studies, Higher Health and Food Technology and Nat 5 Lifeskills Maths

ReputationRep:
    ADVH Maths, English and Chemsitry. Wish I took an extra AH or crashed higher biology tbh. I 14 free/study periods and it gets soo boring. English is less work than higher and chemistry has a pretty low workload too (not done investigation yet though). Maths is an absolute monster though! There's more work in unit one than the whole of higher combined.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Higher English, History, Modern Studies, RMPS and Geography. (:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Higher English, Business, Computing, Media and National 5 Maths and in fifth year as well!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing higher English, maths, chemistry, human biology and music!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in sixth year and I'm doing highers in business, geography, media and modern studies. Pretty much all my subjects involve me remembering so much and writing essays :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm in S6 and I'm doing Advanced Higher Biology, Advanced Higher Geography, Higher French and Higher Health and Food Technology

ReputationRep:
    I'm in sixth year doing AH Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English. I wonder why, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slothonist)
    I'm in S6 and I'm doing Advanced Higher Biology, Advanced Higher Geography, Higher French and Higher Health and Food Technology
    How is Advanced Higher Biology going? Im planning on taking it next year but not sure yet

ReputationRep:
    Im studying Maths, English, Spanish, Human Biology and Chemistry, all at Higher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wordshark)
    ADVH Maths, English and Chemsitry. Wish I took an extra AH or crashed higher biology tbh. I 14 free/study periods and it gets soo boring. English is less work than higher and chemistry has a pretty low workload too (not done investigation yet though). Maths is an absolute monster though! There's more work in unit one than the whole of higher combined.
    Bruh. I'm doing ADV Math, Physics & CompSci. Math by FAR has the lowest workload out of all of them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in U6th and studying English Lit, French, and Religious Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb208)
    How is Advanced Higher Biology going? Im planning on taking it next year but not sure yet
    Not gonna lie, I enjoyed higher a lot more than advanced higher. There's some chemistry in unit 1 to do with proteins which I struggle with and find quite boring :P buuuut unit 2 is okay, its to do with evolution and organisms which is kind of building on your knowledge from higher. The only thing I dislike is the fact that you have to know a lot more about field techniques, hazards etc :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slothonist)
    Not gonna lie, I enjoyed higher a lot more than advanced higher. There's some chemistry in unit 1 to do with proteins which I struggle with and find quite boring :P buuuut unit 2 is okay, its to do with evolution and organisms which is kind of building on your knowledge from higher. The only thing I dislike is the fact that you have to know a lot more about field techniques, hazards etc :erm:
    Im studying chemistry so hopefully that part wont be that challeging for me Will there be a lot on plants and animals? Because i studied Nat 5 Biology but for some reason my school wanted to teach us Higher Human Biology instead of the standard one so im worried that ill be struggling with that a little bit. And what is the difference between doing a Higher and Advanced Higher in general (excluding the difficulty)? Do you have to do a lot more write ups etc? Sorry to bombard you with all these questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb208)
    Im studying chemistry so hopefully that part wont be that challeging for me Will there be a lot on plants and animals? Because i studied Nat 5 Biology but for some reason my school wanted to teach us Higher Human Biology instead of the standard one so im worried that ill be struggling with that a little bit. And what is the difference between doing a Higher and Advanced Higher in general (excluding the difficulty)? Do you have to do a lot more write ups etc? Sorry to bombard you with all these questions
    I'm the exact same as you, I did n5 biology and I am now doing higher human, wanting to do advance higher biology next year but I'm worried about how much plant stuff we'll need to catch up on! 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I was studying...Let me see:

Mathematics
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    German
    English
    Latin
    History and
    Politics

All these subjects up to A levels. Oh yeah, have really learnt a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwagon)
    Bruh. I'm doing ADV Math, Physics & CompSci. Math by FAR has the lowest workload out of all of them.
    I did ADVH higher physics up to unit 1 until dropping it for English (It was a pain going 30 min. to another school to do it). Unless there is a steep increase in workload after the 1st unit, I found the physics much less tiring.
    Maybe your school maths differently to ours? We get no time in class to do any questions and have to do all the "classwork" outside of class. Learning and applying the material isn't difficult but answering questions can take ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WithoutMuchHope)
    I'm in sixth year doing AH Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English. I wonder why, too.
    How's your English going? What are your dissertation texts? What texts are you doing for the exam? Is English as little work at your school as it is in ours. All we literally do is watch movies, read plays and read books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb208)
    I did higher chemistry too but I still found it difficult lol.. but then again, chemistry wasn't my strongest subject so I'm sure you'll be fine xD
    Yes, advanced higher builds on knowledge from higher, so its mostly to do with plants and animals. You might find it a bit difficult but seeing as you've done nat 5, you should be able to pick it up quite easily so don't worry about it
    In general, the difference between doing a higher and an advanced higher is that in higher, the teacher spoonfeeds you the information you need to know, and you basically just go away and memorise it, then regurgitate it in the exam
    Whereas, in advanced higher the teacher will supply you with basic notes and briefly go over them (because they'll assume that you know it from higher). There will be the expectation that you'll be going over the notes in more detail in your own time and self studying. If you don't understand something ask the teacher in the next lesson so that they go over it, otherwise they will just assume that you understand it and skip the topic. Also, homework is usually kept to a minimum.
    For biology, you need to do your investigation/project which will involve a write up. I think it counts for about 25% of your final grade :/
    Hope that all makes sense
    Lol its okay! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachelmcl13)
    I'm the exact same as you, I did n5 biology and I am now doing higher human, wanting to do advance higher biology next year but I'm worried about how much plant stuff we'll need to catch up on! 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well im taking Higher Human Biology as if im crashing it since its a lot different to the standard Biology in Nat 5, so if we can do this at Higher, we'll probably manage at Advanced Higher

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.