Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thoroughly enjoying my second year, but I've got one thing to complain about: the timetable.

Both my roomates have plenty of hours of lectures, seminars and workshops... but I'm mostly at home reading/playing video games/films/eating.

Luckily enough I've got my car up here, so I can get home quickly.

Do you think there's any way to change it up to suit me?

How's your timetable looking?

ReputationRep:
    I've graduated now but my second year was awful Monday 9 -7 with only1 hour break Tuesday 9-11 then an 8 hour break 1 hour lecture and first year 9-6/7 Monday and Tuesday with no breaks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I've graduated now but my second year was awful Monday 9 -7 with only1 hour break Tuesday 9-11 then an 8 hour break 1 hour lecture and first year 9-6/7 Monday and Tuesday with no breaks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Jesus Christ!! What were you doing at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blue Axolotl)
    Jesus Christ!! What were you doing at Uni?
    Electronics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm thoroughly enjoying my second year, but I've got one thing to complain about: the timetable.

Both my roomates have plenty of hours of lectures, seminars and workshops... but I'm mostly at home reading/playing video games/films/eating.

Luckily enough I've got my car up here, so I can get home quickly.

Do you think there's any way to change it up to suit me?

How's your timetable looking?
    I presume you're doing an arts-type subject if you have so few hours? I did History and in my final year I had five hours per week, all of which were seminar classes.

However, I really liked my subject and so I was happy to read lots for the different courses, so I found that I was filling the time quite well by trying to read around quite widely. Have you been assigned any essays or similar yet? You could get an early start on those and save the hassle closer to the deadline. I also found it helped me to work in the uni library a good deal - it meant I wasn't tempted to watch videos or anything like that while working, since other people were around me and could see what I was doing on my computer, and it helped me get into the 'zone' for working.

In terms of other things, are you a member of any societies or sports clubs? These will take up plenty of time if you get involved properly! Or find a part-time job, or do some volunteering to get experience?

ReputationRep:
    I'm mostly at home reading/playing video games/films/eating.

....Do you think there's any way to change it up to suit me?
    Yep - get yourself in the library and start working those reading lists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Yep - get yourself in the library and start working those reading lists.
    What's the point, I read at home!

ReputationRep:
    What's the point, I read at home!
    If you're spending most of your time 9-5 Mon-Fri not doing uni reading, then maybe you're expected to do more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    If you're spending most of your time 9-5 Mon-Fri not doing uni reading, then maybe you're expected to do more.
    I'm doing uni reading but at home. Engrish dyu speek it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing uni reading but at home. Engrish dyu speek it?
    What's the problem then? You don't have enough contact hours to keep you happy, but you're doing as much uni reading as you think is necessary.

You still think you have too much free time, which you don't like filling with video games, film and eating.

Get a part-time job?

ReputationRep:
    How about getting a job, or volunteering?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As suggested, get a job. It'll boost your employability far more than just *****ing about how crap your timetable is on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    get a part-time job and get hence at the gym.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year at uni - so that's all of about six weeks in - and during the course of various sessions I've already had several tutors and advisors clearly stated that as an full time undergrad student one is expected to treat one's studies as a full-time job, i.e. put in 35-40 hours per week into your academic work (to cover lectures, seminars, study support sessions, and independent learning and reading etc.)

Were you asleep during equivalent sessions at your uni, or did you just not bother to turn up? Just amazes me that there are students in their 2nd or 3rd years who still don't get that having, say, 10 hours contact time per week doesn't mean you only have to do 10 hours' work a week.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.