Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!

I am currently based in Dubai but would like to study for a masters degree as i can see it is something ill need in the future.

I am planning to study Masters in Human Resources Management through distance learning route.

I am seriously considering 3 universities:

Aston University,
    University of Manchester ( I have Bachelors degree from there)
    University of Liverpool

One serious issue i have with all distance learning courses that none of them offer CIPD qualification ( they all do for full time degree), so i am a bit lost.

Has anyone tried distance learning through these universities? Is it worth doing Masters in HR without CIPD?

All advice is welcome!

ReputationRep:
    No idea about human resources in particular but from experience I can tell you that distance learning is a good choice.

Other UK unis that offer it (to my knowledge) are Staffordshire, Leeds Beckett, Roehampton, The Open University, MMU, De Montfort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She_Bittersweet)

I am currently based in Dubai but would like to study for a masters degree as i can see it is something ill need in the future.

Is it worth doing Masters in HR without CIPD?
    The CIPD is particularly important in the UK, but it is a UK based institution that is trying to expand internationally.

It depends where you plan to work in the future, im not entirely sure about Dubai and whether it is recognised out there, but I am confident that here in the UK it is exceptionally hard to get a HR related job without the CIPD accreditation alongside your qualification. I am also studying the MSc HRM and we had the choice to take the CIPD pathway. As i live in the UK i joined the CIPD, and it is the same for other students in my class who are from Dubai, Oman and China. Who said that even if it is not recognised in their home country, It will help them through the masters course.

If you can find a course that has the CIPD accreditation i would highly recommend it because it is highly beneficial to your studies in HR and it provides a comprehensive source of reports, surveys and advice. not to forget the monthly people management magazine covering the most recent HR issues. However, again it is primarily focused on the UK.

Here in the UK, it wouldn't be pointless doing a masters without CIPD but many would certainly pay the excess in order to get that membership for the value it brings.

The CIPD sets a recognised quality standard that employers can trust.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.