Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to lose weight for summer next year and im looking to do it in a slow, sustainable manner. In total im looking at 15lb weight loss (my goal weight is within a healthy range still) but im unsure what a sensible rate is. Obviously starvation and rapid weightloss is not tbe way to go but losing a pound every 1-2 weeks seems painfully slow and im worried it might dampen my motivation. Is 2lb a week reasonable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadnight258)
    I want to lose weight for summer next year and im looking to do it in a slow, sustainable manner. In total im looking at 15lb weight loss (my goal weight is within a healthy range still) but im unsure what a sensible rate is. Obviously starvation and rapid weightloss is not tbe way to go but losing a pound every 1-2 weeks seems painfully slow and im worried it might dampen my motivation. Is 2lb a week reasonable?
    No, that's too fast unless you are morbidly obese. How are you planning to train when losing this weight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squats and milk)
    No, that's too fast unless you are morbidly obese. How are you planning to train when losing this weight?
    Exercise around 4 times a week combining gym style cardio (like cross trainers, treadmills), pilates and resistance, weights and actually going out and running

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 1 lb a week tbh. Fair enough you want to lose the weight fast, but you're way more likely to give up if you set the standard higher .

ReputationRep:
    Exercise around 4 times a week combining gym style cardio (like cross trainers, treadmills), pilates and resistance, weights and actually going out and running
    IMO, aim for 0.5lbs a week/2lbs a month weight loss. You will reach your goal by the end of May which is a very quick period of time in the long run. I remember when I started training I thought waiting a few months was too long to get results, looking back after 8 years of training that is nothing.
    I'd do heavy resistance training (full body workouts - squats, deadlifts, presses, rows, pullups etc.) twice a week and HIIT cardio (hill sprints, prowler etc.) twice a week. You might even gain muscle/strength doing this if you are new. Otherwise, if you do as much slow cardio as you said combined with a big calorie deficit to lose weight as fast as you said, you will lose too much muscle and strength too quickly. There is no point being lean if you are just skin and bones.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I was told 1-2lb a week was sensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    I'd say 1 lb a week tbh. Fair enough you want to lose the weight fast, but you're way more likely to give up if you set the standard higher .
    Agree with this, not only is it better for your body - you're more likely to stick to it this way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I was told 1-2lb a week was sensible.
    The thing is unless you are morbidly obese and have a lot of fat to lose, the % difference in the calorie deficit needed to sustain 1 compared to 2 lbs of fatloss per week is massive.

I hate that this 1-2lb figure gets thrown around like gospel, the difference between either end of that is massive.

1lbs a week is sustainable but a very noticable drop in food for most people, whereas 2lbs a week requires around a 1000 calorie deficit per day...for a woman with a 2k maintenance that means 1000 calories a day, and for a man with say a 2.5k maintenance, thats still only 1500 calories a day and is the sort of deficit that makes most people really miserable and is just torture to endure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squats and milk)
    IMO, aim for 0.5lbs a week/2lbs a month weight loss. You will reach your goal by the end of May which is a very quick period of time in the long run. I remember when I started training I thought waiting a few months was too long to get results, looking back after 8 years of training that is nothing.
    I'd do heavy resistance training (full body workouts - squats, deadlifts, presses, rows, pullups etc.) twice a week and HIIT cardio (hill sprints, prowler etc.) twice a week. You might even gain muscle/strength doing this if you are new. Otherwise, if you do as much slow cardio as you said combined with a big calorie deficit to lose weight as fast as you said, you will lose too much muscle and strength too quickly. There is no point being lean if you are just skin and bones.
    That's pretty slow..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    The thing is unless you are morbidly obese and have a lot of fat to lose, the % difference in the calorie deficit needed to sustain 1 compared to 2 lbs of fatloss per week is massive.

I hate that this 1-2lb figure gets thrown around like gospel, the difference between either end of that is massive.

1lbs a week is sustainable but a very noticable drop in food for most people, whereas 2lbs a week requires around a 1000 calorie deficit per day...for a woman with a 2k maintenance that means 1000 calories a day, and for a man with say a 2.5k maintenance, thats still only 1500 calories a day and is the sort of deficit that makes most people really miserable and is just torture to endure.
    Who says you have to create the deficit through eating alone?

Doesn't work on just morbidly obese, also regular fat people can lose 2 lbs a week. For people in the 10-20% bf range, obviously would be a bit too much.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    1lbs a week is sensible. 2lbs and you're looking at a 1000kcal per day deficit, not nice and for the average person, not sustainable. I personally like to cut aggressively at 3lbs a week but I'm used to just sticking to whatever calorie target I need at any given time, most people aren't so regimented and in tune with their bodies as to be able to sustain such fat loss post-diet.

1lb a week and is the general guidance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.