Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In my school, we are only allowed to take 2 sciences for A levels. I ended up taking chemistry (compulsory) and physics, due to pressure from my parents (they say that physics open up more options in the future).
    I heard that taking biology for A levels would be better if I want to do a psychology course in uni. Does it make a lot of difference since I'm taking physics?
    I really want to do psychology when I'm in uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erinnlee23)
    In my school, we are only allowed to take 2 sciences for A levels. I ended up taking chemistry (compulsory) and physics, due to pressure from my parents (they say that physics open up more options in the future).
    I heard that taking biology for A levels would be better if I want to do a psychology course in uni. Does it make a lot of difference since I'm taking physics?
    I really want to do psychology when I'm in uni.
    It's not hugely important.

In terms of offers you're doing two sciences anyway so will get potentially lowered offers because of that. e.g. At Cardiff uni I only needed AAB rather than AAA because I was doing Math and Psych A Levels, which are both considered sciences. The uni is unlikely to care which particular sciences you did.

In terms of knowledge needed for uni, yes biology would be helpful but most people probably won't have done biology A Level (I didn't and I did just fine, in fact I preferred the more biological modules to, say, social ones).

Hope that's helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniellecorni5h)
    It's not hugely important.

In terms of offers you're doing two sciences anyway so will get potentially lowered offers because of that. e.g. At Cardiff uni I only needed AAB rather than AAA because I was doing Math and Psych A Levels, which are both considered sciences. The uni is unlikely to care which particular sciences you did.

In terms of knowledge needed for uni, yes biology would be helpful but most people probably won't have done biology A Level (I didn't and I did just fine, in fact I preferred the more biological modules to, say, social ones).

Hope that's helpful
    Hi, thanks for the reply! What do you mean by "In terms of offers you're doing two sciences anyway so will get potentially lowered offers because of that." ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erinnlee23)
    Hi, thanks for the reply! What do you mean by "In terms of offers you're doing two sciences anyway so will get potentially lowered offers because of that." ??
    For psychology unis often prefer people to have a science or maths at a level. So your physics and chemistry will possibly mean you have to get slightly lower grades in order to get into uni, than someone who hasn't done any sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniellecorni5h)
    For psychology unis often prefer people to have a science or maths at a level. So your physics and chemistry will possibly mean you have to get slightly lower grades in order to get into uni, than someone who hasn't done any sciences.
    Oh I see.. Thank you! If you don't mind me asking, which unis in the UK do you recommend to do psychology? And how was your experience in Cardiff?

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely loved Cardiff and would do the course again if I could! I was choosing between Cardiff, Bath, and southampton so I'd recommend those three. I did a placement course at Cardiff (so it was the 3rd year out in the workplace, before doing my final year as a 4th year), so I'd recommend looking into that for work experience. Bath also offer a placement course - not sure where else does. However, it does cost you a lot to do placement courses as many aren't paid work and you sometimes have to pay tuition fees for that year despite not being in uni - so lots of things to consider. Bristol uni is also a good one to consider - their research is meant to be really strong.

My uni knowledge is very south-west focused because I'm from Devon, so I can't really give much info on everywhere else!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.