Turn on thread page Beta

Vegetable substitutes for chicken watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to save more money this year so I'm cutting down on my meat consumption (:cry:)

What substitutes could I use? I plan to make lots of one pot dishes, casseroles, stews, etc. I heard beans are a good substitute but don't you have to cook them for a certain amount of time/at a certain temperature or they're toxic? I'm not a fan of lentils so I probably won't use those. Could I just add potatoes instead of meat?

EDIT: And I also don't have a deep baking dish so I'd prefer stuff I can cook on the hob!

ReputationRep:
    Nutrition wise yes, beans are great. Most only need to be cooked for a couple of minutes. If you buy dried (usually cheaper) soak them over night, they should have instructions and will take a lot longer. But if you're talking about canned kidney beans they generally need to be cooked for 4 minutes.

With regards to lentils they are fantastic, as long as you have a high flavor dish. In soups I'd start with fried onions and add in lots of carrots. If the soup tastes bad make it into a curry with some spices.

Obviously frozen veg is generally cheaper.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Yup beans and lentils are great. I also love using artichokes, aubergines and mozzarella as well--they're not nutritionally similar but they have a nice meaty consistency.

ReputationRep:
    I use beans but often just use veg, tbh. Like, a stew or casserole is good with just carrots, potatoes, aubergine, courgettes, peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc. etc.

Chick peas are the best though. :drool: :yum:

ReputationRep:
    I often use beans and chickpeas as well.
    Potatoes aren't actually very nutritious so I generally don't bother, use sweet potato instead, so much tastier and so much more nutritious!
    Aubergine is generally considered to be quite a 'meaty' veg if you cut it into chunks and don't cook it for too long, I recently made a chickpea and aubergine stew which took about 20 minutes and was lovely.
    The best one pot vegan dish I make regularly has to be a chili though, onion, garlic, lots of spices, about 2 cans of tomatoes, 2 cans of chickpeas, 1 can of butter beans, 1 can of kidney beans, a few sweet potatoes roasted for a bit first then put in. Lasts forever and if you just leave it in the fridge rather than freezing it gets better with age!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Oak)
    Yup beans and lentils are great. I also love using artichokes, aubergines and mozzarella as well--they're not nutritionally similar but they have a nice meaty consistency.
    Mm yeah I forgot about mozzarella. Definitely need to add more cheese...

(Original post by there's too much love)
    Nutrition wise yes, beans are great. Most only need to be cooked for a couple of minutes. If you buy dried (usually cheaper) soak them over night, they should have instructions and will take a lot longer. But if you're talking about canned kidney beans they generally need to be cooked for 4 minutes.

With regards to lentils they are fantastic, as long as you have a high flavor dish. In soups I'd start with fried onions and add in lots of carrots. If the soup tastes bad make it into a curry with some spices.

Obviously frozen veg is generally cheaper.
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    I use beans but often just use veg, tbh. Like, a stew or casserole is good with just carrots, potatoes, aubergine, courgettes, peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc. etc.

Chick peas are the best though. :drool: :yum:
    (Original post by greggyt94)
    I often use beans and chickpeas as well.
    Potatoes aren't actually very nutritious so I generally don't bother, use sweet potato instead, so much tastier and so much more nutritious!
    Aubergine is generally considered to be quite a 'meaty' veg if you cut it into chunks and don't cook it for too long, I recently made a chickpea and aubergine stew which took about 20 minutes and was lovely.
    The best one pot vegan dish I make regularly has to be a chili though, onion, garlic, lots of spices, about 2 cans of tomatoes, 2 cans of chickpeas, 1 can of butter beans, 1 can of kidney beans, a few sweet potatoes roasted for a bit first then put in. Lasts forever and if you just leave it in the fridge rather than freezing it gets better with age!
    I'm not too fussed about nutrition tbh, veggies are veggies at the end of the day! I just want something with lots of carbs/calories as I'm lifting and I need to gain weight for it But that chili sounds really good! Sounds like it'll last me agessss

ReputationRep:
    Good suggestions, lentils especially for protein per 100g.

Btw though if you want a bit of meat/animal protein but want to save money, you should find frozen whitefish fillets (Iceland has a kilo for £4 or mix and match three fish fillet bags for £10. Sainsburys, Tesco etc will have their own value frozen whitefish) as they're both cheaper and have more protein per 100g than chicken. If you're wanting to control calories, albeit you're hardly going to be able to go overboard with veg lol, mushrooms and brocoli have the better protein to calories ratio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Good suggestions, lentils especially for protein per 100g.

Btw though if you want a bit of meat/animal protein but want to save money, you should find frozen whitefish fillets (Iceland has a kilo for £4 or mix and match three fish fillet bags for £10. Sainsburys, Tesco etc will have their own value frozen whitefish) as they're both cheaper and have more protein per 100g than chicken. If you're wanting to control calories, albeit you're hardly going to be able to go overboard with veg lol, mushrooms and brocoli have the better protein to calories ratio.
    I was contemplating buying frozen beef but my local tesco doesn't stock it (useless *******s) so I'll stick to veg and see how it goes tbh. But I'm trying to bulk so I think potatoes will feature in all of my dishes :lol:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.