Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hey i'm currently in Uni studying a business type degree with other stuff on the side. Ive established that I want to switch to a full business degree as my current degrees business content is unsatisfactory. But I will still finish the first semester as Ive read you can get credit and other unis might think im 'quitting' after 5 weeks.
    Im looking to apply to other UK Unis by UCAS now. How do I apply while still studying at my uni?
    What things do I need to look out for?

    Hi It_97,

    The UCAS process works in exactly the same way as it did when you were in school/college, the form is the same and you will need to go through the same procedure to reapply. I expect the new universities will want your reference to be from your current uni, from your tutor or a lecturer, so it might be worth making them aware that this something you are considering so that they can help you in that respect.

    In terms of "quitting" and how that might seem to the new universities, I expect the new university will want to know why you have decided the course isn't suitable and why you think their course is better. Changing courses and universities in the first year is not uncommon but they will want to know that you are committed.

    It is worth asking yourself if you think you can handle staying for the whole first year. There are a couple of reasons for this: if you stay for the whole year, it is sometimes possible to apply for second year entry to the new university (but you will need to contact them directly about this as it varies by institution and they will need to look at your current modules to check they are similar enough!) Obviously this would save you having to do the whole first year again. From a financial point of view, assuming you are going through Student Finance for at least your tuition fees, changing course will affect your funding. Usually you will lose your "gift year" which is the extra year of funding you get should you need to resit. Using this up by starting a new course in the first year would mean you might struggle to fund yourself if you need to resit a year later down the line. (Fingers crossed you wouldn't have to!) If you go into second year of a new course, then you would lose your gift year but would still have 3 years of funding left in theory. (SFE give you the length of your course, plus a gift year, minus any previously funded years.)

    Hope this is helpful to you and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.