Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My ex broke up with me about 2 months ago. It was relatively mutual but I've seen her for the first time at a social event and she looked miserable.

Now this wouldn't concern me but at 2 further events she looked sad at both of them too.

We haven't spoken since she broke up but it makes me sad she looks so unhappy.

Do people think I should contact her?

ReputationRep:
    Nope you give her time to heal

ReputationRep:
    Only if you really want to rub her nose in the dirt.

But what will you do when you find out it's not all about you?

ReputationRep:
    There are probably other things going on, it's not necessarily because of you. Leave it, and let her heal from the relationship

ReputationRep:
    Look what you've done to her OP. You should be ashamed.

(Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    What did I do? I saw her at a mutual social event as I'm concerned that's she's unhappy.

I don't want to rub her nose in anything. I'm devastated she left, I'm in love with her. She said she thought I would be better off without her. I didn't want to argue as she was upset so took being broken up with good grace, accepted her goodbye hug and she asked me to stay in contact and be friends. The only thing I did was leave her alone.

What did I do? I saw her at a mutual social event as I'm concerned that's she's unhappy.

I don't want to rub her nose in anything. I'm devastated she left, I'm in love with her. She said she thought I would be better off without her. I didn't want to argue as she was upset so took being broken up with good grace, accepted her goodbye hug and she asked me to stay in contact and be friends. The only thing I did was leave her alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Fair enough man, I got the wrong end of the stick.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you want to help her out. Do you want to help her out because you see her as a friend, or are you hopeful that maybe you could get in a relationship with her again?

No offence but when she said you were better off without her, she probably only said that so your feelings didn't get hurt.

ReputationRep:
    My ex broke up with me about 2 months ago. It was relatively mutual but I've seen her for the first time at a social event and she looked miserable.

Now this wouldn't concern me but at 2 further events she looked sad at both of them too.

I say get in there mate. You have another chance. Never leave a person unhappy. Maybe just become good friends with her.

Because you are one of few people that know her well it will be an act of kindness in your part if you support her in sad times. It might not be because of you but stand by her side she will hopefully feel better.

Fair enough man, I got the wrong end of the stick.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you want to help her out. Do you want to help her out because you see her as a friend, or are you hopeful that maybe you could get in a relationship with her again?

No offence but when she said you were better off without her, she probably only said that so your feelings didn't get hurt.
    We'll we went out for 3 years so I'm concerned for her well being with or without me.

There are no motives as a friend or potential partner. She just looked unhappy. If it had been a person in the street I would have asked but it's because we have a history I felt it best to keep a distance.

Well it was her best friend who said it out of the blue, doesn't change anything but when she was breaking up with me there wasn't much talk, she was just crying a lot and saying sorry.

ReputationRep:

You can do one of two things:

1) Ignore her

2) Ignore her

ReputationRep:
    Firstly - unless you actually saw her crying or something you have no idea if she is sad, you didn't even talk to her. Secondly - if she was sad, who says it has anything to do with you? Sounds like you WANT her to be sad over you.

I'd stay away, if my ex came up to me all condescending like 'awww, hey, hope you're ok since our breakup you look so sad!' I'd tell him to **** off and stop flattering himself.

It's over. Move on.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Only way to help her, is to leave her alone. She might be just starting to get over you, then you go and contact her and it brings feelings back up.

ReputationRep:
    Ask her best friend what's up with her in the most casual conversation ever. If you think you can solve her whatever problem it is then step in.

And avaadore's or whatever's post is idiotic. Ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any harm in you walking up to her and asking her how she is, since you've seen her looking a little sad recently. If she is sad because of the break up, then maybe that could start up the dialogue to it being resolved. If it's not about you, she may well appreciate someone showing concern and gives her someone to talk to about the issue. If she doesn't want any interactions with you, she can easily say so. Since you do still love her, it would be a good thing to show her that someone does care.

She asked you herself to stay in contact and stay friends, so why not go be a friend and go see if she's okay.

(Original post by AvaAdore)
    Firstly - unless you actually saw her crying or something you have no idea if she is sad, you didn't even talk to her. Secondly - if she was sad, who says it has anything to do with you? Sounds like you WANT her to be sad over you.

I'd stay away, if my ex came up to me all condescending like 'awww, hey, hope you're ok since our breakup you look so sad!' I'd tell him to **** off and stop flattering himself.

It's over. Move on.
    Nah, I'd like her to be happy. She wasn't crying but in the 3 years I knew she was a very happy, super talkative bubbly person. At the events I saw her at she was staying in the background (at the back of the room not engaging anyone) which is massively out of character.

I think I'll just drop her a message seeing how she is doing and if I get no reply then that's it and I can say I tried.

DiceTheSlice - There will always be less than helpful people of tsr.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'd like her to be happy. She wasn't crying but in the 3 years I knew she was a very happy, super talkative bubbly person. At the events I saw her at she was staying in the background (at the back of the room not engaging anyone) which is massively out of character.

I think I'll just drop her a message seeing how she is doing and if I get no reply then that's it and I can say I tried.

DiceTheSlice - There will always be less than helpful people of tsr.

Everyone told you not to - why bother asking? You don't need to say we're not being helpful either we've taken the time to answer your question.

Even if you mean well - it's over now! You need to leave her be. If she wanted to talk to you she would. Talk to her about it and you run the risk of embarrassing her, harassing her, angering her or stirring up feelings she doesn't want cos you are OVER NOW

sorry that my perfectly logical opinion is deemed 'unhelpful' - maybe next time make your thread say 'hey guys I'm going to do this cos I think it's a good idea, please can you all agree?'

ReputationRep:
    It means you're winning, pop some bottles

Well not everyone said no, few said yes and one said contact her friend.

I understand your message. I didn't message her in the end, she messaged me. So thankyou for your inputs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.