Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

photography newbie.. can you give me some advice (buying a camera) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I am looking to buy a good camera since I am interested in submitting to the photography section of my student newspaper, and also as part of my degree I am looking at digital images and image manipulation

Plus I have always loved photography and art

The thing is, I don't know anything about what makes a good camera and the technical aspects of this

I do not have lots of money to spare, so I am looking at second hand ones on OXFAM: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/search-...econdary_cat_1

They vary in price up to about a 100 or so.... My budget is maximum £60, as a rough guide

Could I get something good for this price?

Sorry if I sound clueless, its something I have always wanted to get into but do not know much about

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number23)
    Everything you will find for £60, even buying used, is probably going to be a bog standard point & shoot with image quality comparable to a decent smartphone, and lacking the manual shooting capabilities and image formats you'll want for submitting photos to magazines or editing images. That Oxfam site looks like it has a lot of cool stuff for anyone looking to shoot film but all of the digital stuff on their is pretty much junk.

Increasing your budget to £80-£100 will get you a used DSLR or mirrorless camera with a lens, which will get you the sort of image quality and manual control that you'll ideally want for the stuff you have in mind. They'll be old, but even an ageing interchangeable lens camera will be substantially better than any modern compact. Having a quick look in MPB, my preferred site for used gear, you can get a Canon 350D and image stabilised lens for £98. You can probably pick the same thing up for even less of eBay. Throw in a cheap CF card and USB card reader and you've got a perfectly decent setup for a beginner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Everything you will find for £60, even buying used, is probably going to be a bog standard point & shoot with image quality comparable to a decent smartphone, and lacking the manual shooting capabilities and image formats you'll want for submitting photos to magazines or editing images. That Oxfam site looks like it has a lot of cool stuff for anyone looking to shoot film but all of the digital stuff on their is pretty much junk.

Increasing your budget to £80-£100 will get you a used DSLR or mirrorless camera with a lens, which will get you the sort of image quality and manual control that you'll ideally want for the stuff you have in mind. They'll be old, but even an ageing interchangeable lens camera will be substantially better than any modern compact. Having a quick look in MPB, my preferred site for used gear, you can get a Canon 350D and image stabilised lens for £98. You can probably pick the same thing up for even less of eBay. Throw in a cheap CF card and USB card reader and you've got a perfectly decent setup for a beginner.
    thanks for the reply. Well to be honest its something ill be spending a long time on and I want good results, so I could up my budget to around 120ish

I had a look at that website, seems pretty good.

ive just got a question, say i bought something like this: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equip...00/sku-602216/
    is it ready to go? or do i need to buy lenses and stuff

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply. Well to be honest its something ill be spending a long time on and I want good results, so I could up my budget to around 120ish

I had a look at that website, seems pretty good.

ive just got a question, say i bought something like this: https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equip...00/sku-602216/
    is it ready to go? or do i need to buy lenses and stuff
    MPB sell camera bodies (the main section if camera with all the electronics) and lenses separately, so you would need to buy a lens. If an item from any store is listed as "body only" or Sony does not mention any included lens in the title, the. It probably needs a lens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

Just wanna say, your knowledge on technology is so impressive!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the reply. Well to be honest its something ill be spending a long time on and I want good results, so I could up my budget to around 120ish.
    You don't need to sell a kidney to get some decent gear, but to be honest - photography is a pricey hobby. And when I read £60 I grimaced a bit. £120 is better, but it won't buy you anything decent. Just a used DSLR or DSLM that's at least four generation behind and probably doesn't even include a lens.

I recommend to keep saving money and get something in the £300+ region at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    You don't need to sell a kidney to get some decent gear, but to be honest - photography is a pricey hobby. And when I read £60 I grimaced a bit. £120 is better, but it won't buy you anything decent. Just a used DSLR or DSLM that's at least four generation behind and probably doesn't even include a lens.

I recommend to keep saving money and get something in the £300+ region at least.
    Thanks for the advice, to be honest I can't really afford to sepnd that much, even though itd be a great to have something good. Ive been checking out ebay and I found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Sony-..._qi=RTM2063723

Its a sony alpha a200, would it be a good buy for say £100 at final bid

They main thing I want is something that takes nice quality photos. If I get really into photography I will defintely upgrade.... But I dont want to get something crap now

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, to be honest I can't really afford to sepnd that much, even though itd be a great to have something good. Ive been checking out ebay and I found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Sony-..._qi=RTM2063723

Its a sony alpha a200, would it be a good buy for say £100 at final bid

They main thing I want is something that takes nice quality photos. If I get really into photography I will defintely upgrade.... But I dont want to get something crap now
    I think the most important thing to look for if you're starting out is to find a camera which you have control over all the manual settings. Even a cheap camera can produce amazing stuff if you can control everything and it will help you learn

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/iconBIT-DVR-...eywords=camera

ReputationRep:
    Just look on eBay to be honest. I recommend Nikon because I shoot with them the most. For example the other day I sold My D90, Sigma 28-80mm macro, Vertical Grip, SD card, batteries and whole load of other stuff for £160. The lucky man got an absolute bargain! The camera only had 38,000 shots on it, which is one thing I'd say look out for is the shutter count as most cameras are only rated for 150,000 or 200,000, which is why on the used market I would stick with Nikon as shutter counts are available for free. For £120 have a look on WEX photographic, you can get a D100 and an 18-70mm, which is a pretty good setup, for about £100 on the used section.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I am looking to buy a good camera since I am interested in submitting to the photography section of my student newspaper, and also as part of my degree I am looking at digital images and image manipulation

Plus I have always loved photography and art

The thing is, I don't know anything about what makes a good camera and the technical aspects of this

I do not have lots of money to spare, so I am looking at second hand ones on OXFAM: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/search-...econdary_cat_1

They vary in price up to about a 100 or so.... My budget is maximum £60, as a rough guide

Sorry if I sound clueless, its something I have always wanted to get into but do not know much about

Cheers
    Just look on eBay to be honest. I recommend Nikon because I shoot with them the most. For example the other day I sold My D90, Sigma 28-80mm macro, Vertical Grip, SD card, batteries and whole load of other stuff for £160. The lucky man got an absolute bargain! The camera only had 38,000 shots on it, which is one thing I'd say look out for is the shutter count as most cameras are only rated for 150,000 or 200,000, which is why on the used market I would stick with Nikon as shutter counts are available for free. For £120 have a look on WEX photographic, you can get a D100 and an 18-70mm, which is a pretty good setup, for about £100 on the used section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nbrooks2014)
    hi

thanks, i got this one off ebay for around £120
    its pretty good, entry level dslr
    Name:  ________________1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  60.4 KB
    im actually getting quite into photography, and doing stage photography and stuff for the student newspaper so i wanna get something better

im going to seel the other one, and up my budge to 200-250 ish.... so would you suggest looking at Nikon d100 range?

cheers (im still pretty clueless )

ReputationRep:
    hi

im actually getting quite into photography, and doing stage photography and stuff for the student newspaper so i wanna get something better

im going to seel the other one, and up my budge to 200-250 ish.... so would you suggest looking at Nikon d100 range?

Unless you've missed out a digit, the D100 is over a decade old. The Nikon D3200 is a much better bet for under £250.

ReputationRep:
    hi

No I recommend that you get a Nikon D300 on WEX used, these are currently available on there between £165 and £180, which is a killer deal, I was thinking about getting one as a back-up for my D700. And once you have got the D300 get a 18-70mm of there for about £60 (combined £225). This kit is superior to anything you can get on the new market for the equivalent price as the burst rate is 6FPS, the AF is basically the same as that you would find in the flagship Nikon D4s and the build quality is better than anything you can get these days (especially in your budget). My brother shoots with a D300, he bought his for 200 and he wasn't unhappy so at 165 you'll be jumping for joy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Unless you've missed out a digit, the D100 is over a decade old. The Nikon D3200 is a much better bet for under £250.
    I really wish that you would stop recommending new cameras as they are nowhere near as good as the older more professional ones that you can get on the used market. Which would rather buy? A Canon 5d or a 1200d?

ReputationRep:
    No I recommend that you get a Nikon D300 on WEX used, these are currently available on there between £165 and £180, which is a killer deal, I was thinking about getting one as a back-up for my D700. And once you have got the D300 get a 18-70mm of there for about £60 (combined £225). This kit is superior to anything you can get on the new market for the equivalent price as the burst rate is 6FPS, the AF is basically the same as that you would find in the flagship Nikon D4s and the build quality is better than anything you can get these days (especially in your budget). My brother shoots with a D300, he bought his for 200 and he wasn't unhappy so at 165 you'll be jumping for joy!
    thanks, I will look at the prices
    so would 165-180 be for the body only, and i would buy a lens seperately?

thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-D300...YAAOSwnipWUbRQ

this one seems to have everything included

ReputationRep:

thanks
    Yes get the 18-70mm on WEX

ReputationRep:

thanks
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-u...-lens/p1586767 - lens

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-u...-body/p1578664 - Camera

ReputationRep:
    ok i think i may go for it

someone is selling a whole bundle incldung lens on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-D300...YAAOSwnipWUbRQ shall i bid for up to 230

if not then ill go for wex?

ReputationRep:
    I really wish that you would stop recommending new cameras as they are nowhere near as good as the older more professional ones that you can get on the used market. Which would rather buy? A Canon 5d or a 1200d?
    He didn't ask about a 5D, he asked about a 6MP crop camera from 13 years ago which has fallen behind modern cameras in image quality, resolution, ISO performance and features. Would I rather have a 5D over a 1200D? Yes. Would I rather have a D100 over a D3200? Hell no.

You've already had this discussion once with someone who made the exact same points I would have made, I have no desire to repeat that discussion with you now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 5, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.