Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping someone may be able to offer some assistance on an assignment I'm working on. We've been assigned an essay as part of our Spanish course, on the history side, to "Provide a critical assessment of one of the primary sources you have looked at in class, relating your argument to those proposed in the secondary sources."

Now I have a primary source that I'm working from, which is a letter written from Bartolomé Las Casas to the King of Spain to argue in defence of the Indians that were being subjugated and colonised during the 16th century. I guess what I'm struggling with is the term 'critical assessment', what it means and how to turn this into an argument to write an essay. The direction I've taken so far is to pick apart what the source was trying to achieve, how reliable it is as an historical source, the validity of its claims, what we can learn from it. I'm just hoping someone can reassure me if this is the right direction to be going in? I feel like I'm going round and round in circles!

Any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm unable to offer much help, as i was actually looking for the exact same thing as you are. I'm writing an essay on Las Casas also. I was just wondering if you go to Bristol too? At the moment, I'm just writing down anything that comes to mind, and I'm hoping to sort of shape it around the question afterwards. Probably the completely wrong way to write an essay, but i was stumped.

All the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicsam0)
    Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm unable to offer much help, as i was actually looking for the exact same thing as you are. I'm writing an essay on Las Casas also. I was just wondering if you go to Bristol too? At the moment, I'm just writing down anything that comes to mind, and I'm hoping to sort of shape it around the question afterwards. Probably the completely wrong way to write an essay, but i was stumped.

All the best of luck!
    Ah, well I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who was a bit lost by the assignment. Yes I am also at Bristol, studying French and Spanish. I've written an essay but I'm still not too sure whether I have done what is expected. I guess all I can do is write it as well as possible and hand it in, then hope for the best.

Good luck with your attempt anyway!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.