Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help with this equation watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oxidising Iron(ii) to Iron(iii) ions using a solution of Cr2O7 2- ions, acidifed with dilute sulphuric acid; the chromium ends up as Cr3+ ions.

I have done some and got half the right answer but I don't know the actual logical steps required to get the full answer correct for this type of question.

ReputationRep:
    Fe^2+ --> Fe^3+ + e^-
    14H^+ +Cr2O7^2- + 6e^- ---> 2Cr3+ + 7H2O
    Then multiply Fe by 6 to get equal number of electrons and add them together and cancel down to get the overall equation (btw is this CH5? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed766)
    Fe^2+ --> Fe^3+ + e^-
    Then multiply Fe by 6 to get equal number of electrons and add them together and cancel down to get the overall equation (btw is this CH5? :awesome:
    No idea what you mean about C5? I am gonna use its for F325 and 6 for OCR a2 chem, just like a couple of marks worth but I found the question Jim Clark chemistry book.

Thanks for the answer ill check it out properly after I eat lunch right now.

ReputationRep:
    Double post.

ReputationRep:
    Fe^2+ --> Fe^3+ + e^-
    Ok I got it now. Thanks.
    But what is this type of question called? If you don't mind telling me. Like what told you to use this method to work it out? Or did you just see it and now it was this method or is this the only method to work it out?

ReputationRep:
    This is balancing hg equations, I finished A2 chemistry this year and this is only way to do it that I'm aware of. I did it thus way because that is just how I know how to do it, first balance the metals on both sides then the Oxygen by adding H2O to the opposite side, then add H+ opposite the water to balance the Hydrogen in the water. Last but most importantly balance the charges to equal each other on both side by adding electrons and continue like above

ReputationRep:
    This is balancing hg equations, I finished A2 chemistry this year and this is only way to do it that I'm aware of. I did it thus way because that is just how I know how to do it, first balance the metals on both sides then the Oxygen by adding H2O to the opposite side, then add H+ opposite the water to balance the Hydrogen in the water. Last but most importantly balance the charges to equal each other on both side by adding electrons and continue like above
    Ok thanks man!
    I did the next one and got it right, following the method.
    I did A2 chem and failed(C) as I didn't revise that much so im going back to the basics and really learning it properly. Thanks a lot bro for the help.

ReputationRep:
    Anytime, you absolutely did not fail don't be silly! Chemistry is one of the hardest A levels if not the hardest, it requires z lot of work. If there's anything else I can do to help I'm just a pm away.

ReputationRep:
    TRANSMITTER RANGE (10 points possible)
    Imagine that we intend to communicate with a newly discovered civilization. They are at a distance of 87 light years from us.

If their radio receivers are similar to ours, they will be able to detect signals of about 8×10−33 watts per square meter. We will need to build a transmitter powerful enough that our signal will have this intensity when it arrives.

If we have built the transmitter correctly, we should be able to tell based on the intensity of the radio waves near the transmitter. What intensity should we expect the radio waves have at a distance of 1 meter from the transmitter?

Your answer should have units of watts per square meter.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.