Badges:
Report 16 years ago
As above ?
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thames Valley is ranked lowest in most tables but it really depends on which subject you want to do
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I think the entry requirements say a lot about a university. If they're very low i.e. 'CD' or 'CC', then I would guess that it's not a good place to go too.
Well that ain't necessarily true - a C is a good pass in my opinion. My offer from Loughborough is BCD and I was under the impression that they were a fairly good university.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Chicken)
Well that ain't necessarily true - a C is a good pass in my opinion. My offer from Loughborough is BCD and I was under the impression that they were a fairly good university.
For sport / Physical Education / Sports Physcology etc where you often need AAB.

Other than that I have heard they aint all that rated.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bolton Institute of Higher Education?
Koloth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think the entry requirements say a lot about a university. If they're very low i.e. 'CD' or 'CC', then I would guess that it's not a good place to go too.
Well considering that is about the average grade achieved by who those who take A Levels then I would disagree. Though it depends on your definition of "very low". I would not like to think you are trying to devalue those who put in hard work to achieve such grades.
I would also like to point out that entry requirements are not always the best way to measure universities.
It is quite common for some universities to set higher requirements than they could because candidates are often attracted to such courses for this reason. They then recruit a good number of students from clearing and still take students who miss their offer by a wide mark (Often as a result of giving an offer to a student who they know are unlikely to meet the requirements).
Another way its often done is to have one course with two different names (like Computing and Computer Science). They would attract the good candidates with the high requirements from computer science and fill the rest of the places with those who applied for computing with lower grades.
Koloth
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Whether a university can be seen as the best or worst it will still be a matter of opinion and perception.
Obviously if its by academic performance you'll be looking at the university which takes the best students, has a prestigious reputation etc...

The locality, the enviroment, distance from home and the course will have considerable affects on whether you like or dislike a university. These are some of the facts that will make you happy or unhappy. No matter where you go at university your happiness will likely determine whether your will drop out of university and the level at which you perform. Its often more to what you achieve in doing your degree than as what university you attend.

On a final note I would like to point out that some people seem to get caught up and forget the value of what they have. Lets remember that the average school in England and Wales has about 52% of its pupils achieving 5 A*-C grades at GCSE. Those that can take A Levels usually get around C to E grades. 30% enter higher education at this moment and higher education does not just include universities only. British universities also fair very well with the rest of the world in terms of quality. Lets also not forget that 1/3 (2 billion) of the worlds population live on only $1 dollar a day. We are all extremely fortunate.
Koloth
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
For sport / Physical Education / Sports Physcology etc where you often need AAB.

Other than that I have heard they aint all that rated.
The Times rates Loughborough as 12th place out of 100 universities reviewed when all subjects are taken into account. I suppose in the end it depends what you consider "fairly good" and "aint all that rated". I suppose I could say "Cambridge sucks" since Harvard could be seen as better.

Is it just me or is there a lot of academic snobbery? (this comment is not pointed to anyone directly on this board)
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Koloth)
Is it just me or is there a lot of academic snobbery? (this comment is not pointed to anyone directly on this board)
I think that is true - I know when I was smaller I really wanted to go to Oxford because it was a good university (but I hadn't really heard of any other universities then - only Oxford cos of its reputation!) but since then I've realised that I wouldn't enjoy it there even if I could get the grades to get in. I think people pick the universities that suit them, where they will be happy for 3 years or whatever, but get looked down on because the university they are going to doesn't have the reputation of Oxford, or isn't high in the league table, and I don't think that is fair at all. And league tables aren't everything cos although the Times rated Loughborough 12th, in the Guardian it was something like 38th!!!
Fairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It all depends on the course you want to take and what exactly you want out of university to decide whether or not you feel a certain uni is the best ( or worst). For example, i might go there for the academic side, whereas someone else might think a uni is great because of the social life. Its all based on personal opinion.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Fairydust)
It all depends on the course you want to take and what exactly you want out of university to decide whether or not you feel a certain uni is the best ( or worst). For example, i might go there for the academic side, whereas someone else might think a uni is great because of the social life. Its all based on personal opinion.
Well yeah - lots of my friends have gone out on open days and come back saying that they felt that where they visited was the right place to go. It just feels right. I wouldn't go to a uni just cos it had a brilliant social side, but I wouldn't go somewhere where i'd feel like i was wasting studying time by going out on a saturday night once in a while - i want the best of both worlds really.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i reckon it does depend on the subject. Eg Bournemouth is really good for subjects like film studies, busines and catering but I think it had to scrap courses like history cos there was no point in struggling on with subjects they didn't have the resources to teach well enough in. (anyone correct me if i'm wrong).
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well yeah - lots of my friends have gone out on open days and come back saying that they felt that where they visited was the right place to go. It just feels right. I wouldn't go to a uni just cos it had a brilliant social side, but I wouldn't go somewhere where i'd feel like i was wasting studying time by going out on a saturday night once in a while - i want the best of both worlds really.
I totally agree, the University experience is not all about locking yourself up in the library every single day for 3 / 4 years.

Fair enough I agree that you go there (and pay), to come out with a degree, and so the decision is up to you what you do with your investment, but it can't all be academic.

I asked myself questions, beyond the scope of what the University itself was like... such as "Is this a place I could live for 3 years?", "Will I actually be happy here?" (if you aren't going to be happy about the location as a whole, you aren't exactly going to be motivated to work), "Are there solid employment opportunities after graduation?", "Is there things to do, to occupy your time away from your studies that you can enjoy?".

These things were all factors in my decision.
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
On the subject of which is the worst university:
Local opinion doesn't rate Stafford very highly (I've heard it called the dirty S word on many occasion!) and personally I've not heard many good things said about York, Durham or Nottingham, mainly because these university's appear very elitist, they're often considered as second to Oxbridge and from what I've found tend to get a fair few of the Oxbridge rejects. The people I've these things from tend to have been rejected from these uni's though, so they might just be being bitter!

The best university would easily have to be Leeds, but I'm a bit biased habing spent the last 2 years there! Its been the most popular university in the country for the last couple of years, receiving the most UCAS applications, apparently it also offers students the greatest range of courses and modules.

Its all a matter of personal opinion tho.
Dam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[QUOTE=ditzy blonde]
The best university would easily have to be Leeds, but I'm a bit biased habing spent the last 2 years there! Its been the most popular university in the country for the last couple of years, receiving the most UCAS applications, apparently it also offers students the greatest range of courses and modules.
QUOTE]

I heard that nottingham was the most poplular on number of applications this year. I have heard the 'elitest' comment about york and durham, but not about nottingham. Nottingham uni is supposedly one of the best in the country, but I'm not going there cos I live near it and that would defeat the point. Also I know that the city is a craphole.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, a lot of people who apply to Durham also apply to Oxbridge. I found that out when I went to the post application Open Day (I also did and I can say I'm an Oxbridge reject too ).
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dam)
I heard that nottingham was the most poplular on number of applications this year. I have heard the 'elitest' comment about york and durham, but not about nottingham. Nottingham uni is supposedly one of the best in the country, but I'm not going there cos I live near it and that would defeat the point. Also I know that the city is a craphole.
Hmm the city as a whole aint all that clever, and yet boasts one of the best city centre shopping facilites outside London.

LineOne of the NET (tram network) when (finally) done, and ready for passengers now in January (rather than November), will improve the city centres image, to that of Sheffield perhaps.

Sadly the rough regions that make up the city isgives the city as a whole a bad image, it's certainly not as bad as some other cities.
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Yeah, a lot of people who apply to Durham also apply to Oxbridge. I found that out when I went to the post application Open Day (I also did and I can say I'm an Oxbridge reject too ).
Congratulations! May I follow in your holy footsteps.
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)

Its all a matter of personal opinion tho.
I loved Leeds too. However I didn't have an interview, they gave me an offer based on my application form, but I thought that if i'd have had an interview I might have got one grade lowered (cos thats what happened at other places when I got interviews). However I didn't accept form cos I was being realistic and I didn't think I was going to get BBC, and I know now after taking the exams I definately WON'T have BBC!!! But it was the best place I visited!!!
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As above ?
In the Times guide it is Thames Valley, but it does really depend on subjects, TVU is rated as good as Durham at Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation, Sport and Tourism.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads