Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is internet dating crap? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On paper, it should be perfect, a great tool, but I have never found anything comparable to 'real-life' accidents on there. It just seems to remove all spontanaety and mystery from the equation. Plus it seems contrived all the things you have to put on there. The women also seem bland and non-descript often, and in that weird mentality of ticking boxes, as it were. Yeah, just way below par compared to what it could be. It could be engineering a lot of casual ways of getting to know someone you fancy, arranging a quick meet, etc.(maybe tinder has taken this over-I don't like this as you have to have facebook and it's not good for privacy) I know that I could trawl through it and there must be so many people on there, so in theory its good, but I never feel any excitment or prospects about doing it. It just feels grim as hell.

ReputationRep:
    The profiles are fake there are ads for professional "Catfish's" on CL sometimes were you cab get paid to dupe ppl into paying for upgraded account.
    Psychologically dating sites are crap because they take away the element of surprise necessary to reduce the inhibitions enough to move to the next.

Just grime, desperate and beggy.

ReputationRep:
    You might not enjoy it, but a lot of people have found long term partners/spouses from it. It's not for everyone, but some people don't have the time and/or social lives necessary to meet people in person, and so internet dating is a good alternative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeptique)
    The profiles are fake there are ads for professional "Catfish's" on CL sometimes were you cab get paid to dupe ppl into paying for upgraded account.
    Psychologically dating sites are crap because they take away the element of surprise necessary to reduce the inhibitions enough to move to the next.

Just grime, desperate and beggy.
    No, I didn't mean CL, where there's fake stuff. I meant a lot of the genuine people on the likes of match. It's still soulless and seems to get bland people. I'm not saying i've met the perfect people other ways, but they were mor interesting and mysterious. I think it's just attratcs bland people, who by the nature of the site and who it selects, seem to view it like something akin to shopping. Just such a dissaopintment, maybe I make no effort though.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's better if simple internet friendships develop into internet couples/best friends or even better, real life couples/best friends. I've not much to say about dating sites because I also think façades play a bigger part there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    You might not enjoy it, but a lot of people have found long term partners/spouses from it. It's not for everyone, but some people don't have the time and/or social lives necessary to meet people in person, and so internet dating is a good alternative
    I understand your point, I get the logic..and I think it should work great. But something about the whole process just makes it lose any shine to me. I've encountered someone on craiglist for something much more lustful, and by all estimation, shallower, and yet that was someone with mystery I developed a real interest in. But match just sucks, that said I di not even bother to get a good profile pic for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TreeFellOnMe)
    I think it's better if simple internet friendships develop into internet couples/best friends or even better, real life couples/best friends. I've not much to say about dating sites because I also think façades play a bigger part there
    I agree. Things develop better that way. I will say though, it's quite wird that on the internet you can get to know someone for ages really well, and still be yet to meet them face to face-I feel that may be a rpoblem, assuming the same naturalness from that point. If I had a relationship in mind i'd probably wan to meet much sooner into knowing them otherwise it might just wreck your head if all chemistry went on meeting them, or it was forced.

ReputationRep:
    Internet dating is fine you just have to remember to wade though the ****. There's a lot of it.

I tried internet dating for awhile but I got absolutely bombarded with messages. I literally had about 50 within the first ten minutes of signing up. The first message I read the guy wrote me a nice message and I was going to reply but saw he had messaged again already - read it and it said 'you're obviously one of those stuck up girls who never replies' etc I was like OMG I've only just read your message you nutcase.

It can work though, I know married couples who met online, and it's a good alternative to meeting in a bar or through friends. I met my fiancé at work myself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.