Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Citalopram - experiences (particularly interested in opinions of 'bipolar' people)? watch

Ok, so my doctor wanted to put me on both antidepressants and mood stabilisers, after diagnosing me with bipolar disorder. I am pretty sure that I don't even have bipolar and I don't want to take so many different drugs therefore going against his advice and starting just antidepressants - citalopram 20mg. Still if by any chance the doctor was right, -how did citalopram affect you (if you are bipolar)? Even if you aren't bipolar - did it work for you?
    Also, does it interact with valium? Forgot to ask him but he doesn't know I'm on it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tried it for a week. Felt like it lowered my IQ, I was no longer effective at the logical thought process involved in coding.

This was many years ago.

Best thing ever was diazepam, nitrazepam and codeine/dihydrocodeine. But if you can't get a hold of that, mirtazapine worked great.

Note: I'm not bipolar.

(Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Tried it for a week. Felt like it lowered my IQ, I was no longer effective at the logical thought process involved in coding.

This was many years ago.

Best thing ever was diazepam, nitrazepam and codeine/dihydrocodeine. But if you can't get a hold of that, mirtazapine worked great.

Note: I'm not bipolar.
    I already have valium, which is diazepam. Isn't nitrazepam a benzo as well? I struggle with depression so wanted to give antidepressants a try, I actually think benzos make depression a bit worse in my case.

It sucks that it didn't work for you, wouldn't want it to mess with my concentration ;/

ReputationRep:
    I think it doesn't really work that strongly on me. I only take 10 mg tho
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I already have valium, which is diazepam. Isn't nitrazepam a benzo as well? I struggle with depression so wanted to give antidepressants a try, I actually think benzos make depression a bit worse in my case.

It sucks that it didn't work for you, wouldn't want it to mess with my concentration ;/
    Ask your GP about mirtazapine, it works faster than SSRIs and with less side-effects.

Apparently, gabapentin has worked wonders with some bipolars. It's a hit and miss, i.e. it will change your life or make it a lot worse, supposedly. No idea. Check with your GP.

Yes nitrazepam is also a benzo, but it's more hypnotic and generally prescribed when you're having trouble sleeping.

(Original post by MJlover)
    I think it doesn't really work that strongly on me. I only take 10 mg tho
    Maybe the amount they give you depends on your weight and symptoms, idk. I weigh 108lbs

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the amount they give you depends on your weight and symptoms, idk. I weigh 108lbs
    no my doctor didn't weight me actually. and i have anxiety instead of depression/mood

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on a trial for citalopram for depression as a last resort before I get referred to a Psychiatrist. I'm also on Mirtazipine.

Ever since I've been on Citalopram I space out continuously. My mental thought process isn't there, and I lose attention to things incredibly quickly and have just become very slow. I'm very "dissociated" when I talk to people. Even basic things confuse the **** put of me.

On the plus side, it knocks me flat out at night. Everyone is different and I have been experience some of those symptoms before hand but all in all it's made those slightly worse, but at least I'm not feeling as bad as I was mentally (that's cause it's now nearly impossible to feel anything)

Ask your GP about mirtazapine, it works faster than SSRIs and with less side-effects.

Apparently, gabapentin has worked wonders with some bipolars. It's a hit and miss, i.e. it will change your life or make it a lot worse, supposedly. No idea. Check with your GP.

Yes nitrazepam is also a benzo, but it's more hypnotic and generally prescribed when you're having trouble sleeping.
    I see, thanks, so do you think that i shouldn't even try the citalopram because it's...well... ****ty? I mean, it's probably not good to take one drug this week and then switch to another one next week and so on.

(Original post by LadyEcliptic)
    I'm currently on a trial for citalopram for depression as a last resort before I get referred to a Psychiatrist. I'm also on Mirtazipine.

Ever since I've been on Citalopram I space out continuously. My mental thought process isn't there, and I lose attention to things incredibly quickly and have just become very slow. I'm very "dissociated" when I talk to people. Even basic things confuse the **** put of me.

On the plus side, it knocks me flat out at night. Everyone is different and I have been experience some of those symptoms before hand but all in all it's made those slightly worse, but at least I'm not feeling as bad as I was mentally (that's cause it's now nearly impossible to feel anything)
    Damn that's not good, I already have valium to knock me out when I need it, I was hoping for something to UNzombify me, not zombify me even further, damn that shrink. Thanks for sharing.

ReputationRep:
    Damn that's not good, I already have valium to knock me out when I need it, I was hoping for something to UNzombify me, not zombify me even further, damn that shrink. Thanks for sharing.
    Don't get me wrong, I think any sort of mild sedative will give you that effect and considering I am on 2 of those, it makes it worse :P Even typing can be a struggle.

It's worth trying, you never know what might help. It could have the opposite effect on you, you never know. And I'm sure it reacts differently with different medicines.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I see, thanks, so do you think that i shouldn't even try the citalopram because it's...well... ****ty? I mean, it's probably not good to take one drug this week and then switch to another one next week and so on.
    Unfortunately when it comes to SSRIs, it's quite a bit of trial and error in finding the one that works for you - it can be up to 6 weeks for noticeable effects. Personally, I hate SSRIs. Mirtazapine worked wonders for anxiety, sleep and general mood.

You really need to consult with your GP on this, and if need be then get a second opinion from another medical professional.

ReputationRep:
    The first two weeks of Citalopram were absolutely horrible. I had nausea, bleeding lips, terrifying anxiety, shocks, shakes, zero appetite, some incredibly weird dreams, dizziness, it wasn't fun, but I was so desperate to get better, so I stuck with it.They did all settle down after the two week mark was over. After that Citalopram really helped me and I felt much better and much more able to cope.
    Also, I'm not bipolar

Ok, so my doctor wanted to put me on both antidepressants and mood stabilisers, after diagnosing me with bipolar disorder. I am pretty sure that I don't even have bipolar and I don't want to take so many different drugs therefore going against his advice and starting just antidepressants - citalopram 20mg. Still if by any chance the doctor was right, -how did citalopram affect you (if you are bipolar)? Even if you aren't bipolar - did it work for you?
    Also, does it interact with valium? Forgot to ask him but he doesn't know I'm on it.
    Do not take Citalopram if you are suspected of having bipolar disorder. In the leaflet that accompanies it it specificically states that citalopram can induce a manic state. Tell your doctor about this. (although its dissappointing that you're the one pointing it out).

I noticed severe spacing out too when I first started Citalopram. I'm finr though, maybe it's just an ajustment issue?

Don't get me wrong, I think any sort of mild sedative will give you that effect and considering I am on 2 of those, it makes it worse :P Even typing can be a struggle.

It's worth trying, you never know what might help. It could have the opposite effect on you, you never know. And I'm sure it reacts differently with different medicines.
    Yeah, guess you are right!

Unfortunately when it comes to SSRIs, it's quite a bit of trial and error in finding the one that works for you - it can be up to 6 weeks for noticeable effects. Personally, I hate SSRIs. Mirtazapine worked wonders for anxiety, sleep and general mood.

You really need to consult with your GP on this, and if need be then get a second opinion from another medical professional.
    That's so annoying, seems like most GPs tend to prescribe SSRIs and they aren't even that good : (

(Original post by ivy.98)
    The first two weeks of Citalopram were absolutely horrible. I had nausea, bleeding lips, terrifying anxiety, shocks, shakes, zero appetite, some incredibly weird dreams, dizziness, it wasn't fun, but I was so desperate to get better, so I stuck with it.They did all settle down after the two week mark was over. After that Citalopram really helped me and I felt much better and much more able to cope.
    Also, I'm not bipolar
    Damn, that's really bad. If that happened to me, I'd probably quit asap.

Do not take Citalopram if you are suspected of having bipolar disorder. In the leaflet that accompanies it it specificically states that citalopram can induce a manic state. Tell your doctor about this. (although its dissappointing that you're the one pointing it out).
    Well, I was prescribed this and mood stabilisers but chose not to go on mood stabilizers because I think I was misdiagnosed. Are other antidepressants likely to induce it as well?

I noticed severe spacing out too when I first started Citalopram. I'm finr though, maybe it's just an ajustment issue?
    Glad you're doing better now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Be careful, ADs can sometimes cause mania in those with bipolar. Not saying don't take them - just be aware of the warning signs.

(Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Be careful, ADs can sometimes cause mania in those with bipolar. Not saying don't take them - just be aware of the warning signs.
    Thanks for the warning! I think the doctor misdiagnosed me though, and I don't have bipolar so not too worried about that.

After reading your comments guys I wanted to try Mirtazapine instead but read on the internet that almost everyone puts weight on it even if they don't stop exercising/or ear more, might be metabolism thing! I am a little bit underweight but I honestly love it that way, I used to suffer from an eating disorder and I think that weight gain could trigger that again! So think I'll just try citalopram at first and see.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks for the warning! I think the doctor misdiagnosed me though, and I don't have bipolar so not too worried about that.

After reading your comments guys I wanted to try Mirtazapine instead but read on the internet that almost everyone puts weight on it even if they don't stop exercising/or ear more, might be metabolism thing! I am a little bit underweight but I honestly love it that way, I used to suffer from an eating disorder and I think that weight gain could trigger that again! So think I'll just try citalopram at first and see.
    If you won't take the mood stabiliser, could you at least make sure someone who sees you most days (parent, housemate, whoever) knows you're starting citalopram without it and your current diagnosis? I know it's hard to tell people, but if you were to become manic they may be more likely to notice or think it's a problem more than you and make you see a medical professional again, the danger is otherwise you could end up doing yourself serious harm and noone would know what was going on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been taking it since I was 13 - I'm 18 now,
    Its very very good and I found that it massively reduced my low mood and anxiety

As for spacing out - I still do that despite being on the tablets for 5 years - i think its more a side effect of the mental disorders as opposed to the medication
    I really want to be weaned off them but the side effects are awful

When I first started taking;
    -Sleepiness ( I literally slept for 4 days straight)
    -Nausea
    -loss of appetite
    -Weight loss

When I miss ONE dose ;
    -Extreme Nausea
    -Migraines

Continued Side Effects
    -Fits/Spasms in my Sleep
    -Migraines

But despite all this it is a good medication.I can honestly say it saved my life!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.