The Student Room Group

Labour MP recieves rape threats

Apologies if already covered. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/labour-mp-jess-phillips-receives-ape-threats-after-objecting-to-debate-on-international-mens-day-a6714756.html

Last week, Labour MP Jess Phillips received a of rape threats for opposing conservative MP, Phillip Davis's suggestion that we should have an International Men's day. Bear in mind Phillip Davis voted against same sex marriage and filibustered a bill recently to award free parking to hospital staff.
She has since contacted the police.

But whatever you think of the issue of a men's day, rape threats are utterly disgusting and should not be tolerated at all. A few weeks ago on here, there were some UKIPy type folks accusing 'lefties' of making rape threats, well here we have some men's rights folk making rape threats. I doubt they'll be as critical though.

Rape threats are truly disgusting, from whoever they come from on whatever side of the political spectrum, right or left and can only hope those people who made them are convicted.
(edited 8 years ago)
thats not right. Not at all
Original post by Bornblue
Apologies if already covered. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/labour-mp-jess-phillips-receives-ape-threats-after-objecting-to-debate-on-international-mens-day-a6714756.html

Last week, Labour MP Jess Phillips received a of rape threats for opposing conservative MP, Phillip Davis's suggestion that we should have an International Men's day. Bear in mind Phillip Davis voted against same sex marriage and filibustered a bill recently to award free parking to hospital staff.

But whatever you think of the issue of a men's day, rape threats are utterly disgusting and should not be tolerated at all. A few weeks ago on here, there were some UKIPy type folks accusing 'lefties' of making rape threats, well here we have some men's rights folk making rape threats. I doubt they'll be as critical though.

Rape threats are truly disgusting, from whoever they come from on whatever side of the political spectrum, right or left and can only hope those people who made them are convicted.

Agreed.

I don't think this is a left wing or right wing problem. This is a problem with fringe members of society who think social media doesn't mean the same norms have to be applied.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Agreed.

I don't think this is a left wing or right wing problem. This is a problem with fringe members of society who think social media doesn't mean the same norms have to be applied.

Glad we agree. Whatever you think about any issue, there is never a justification for Rape threats.
I know Jess on a personal level and she's a very tough individual and will cope but imagine her children and family going online and seeing people publically threatening to rape her.

It's horrible and inexcusable.
Glad we agree. Whatever you think about any issue, there is never a justification for Rape threats.
I know Jess on a personal level and she's a very tough individual and will cope but imagine her children and family going online and seeing people publically threatening to rape her.

It's horrible and inexcusable.

You have to be tough skinned when you're a politician. I often see politicians from all parties receiving unnecessarily high levels of personal insults that's are completely unnecessary. It makes me wonder how many good people are put off politics by seeing the crap that gets thrown their way.

The problem seems to be with the advent of the Internet and social media, societal boundaries of normal behaviour seem to go out of the window. People seem to like to openly express what in normal circumstances they'd never mention in public.

You'll never hear, or at least will steer clear of anybody who says in public 'I'll rape you, the holocaust ever happened, I'm glad xxxxxx died.' Anybody who leaves messages like that on social media are people I'd like to see identified and named and shamed in public.

There was a case a few years back of somebody receiving a torrent of abuse on line. It turned out to be the mild mannered son of his best friend. Anonymity appears to allow levels of retardness you'll rarely see in public.
Reply 5
It's not really a rape threat:

More like a 4chan delirium.

So where are the 'threats'? There is no mention in what she screenshot that someone was threatening rape. They were saying (quite wrongly) that she deserved to be raped. Which may constitute trying enticing someone to rape, but there is no one threatening to rape her.
Original post by Josb

http://news.sky.com/story/1579384/mp-too-tough-to-care-about-rape-threats

She was told she would be 'raped in front of everyone'

Some more were allegedly also by private emails which she has forwarded to the police.
That's pretty sick and a very stupid thing to do.
Disgusting.

This is precisely why there is an International Women's Day.
Reply 10
Original post by gladders
Disgusting.

This is precisely why there is an International Women's Day.

Yeah, rape threats will stop because of that.

:indiff:
Original post by Josb
Yeah, rape threats will stop because of that.

:indiff:

Not what I was saying.

Of course it is not right but since when did people believe what they saw on the Internet? I could hop on to YouTube comments and within 5 minutes be threatened with all forms of torture, rape and death. You are naive if you take what a troll says as true.
Disgusting creature. Not that the type of people who go around shouting about how we need an international mens day are expected to be anything other than complete idiots, but this is really low even for them.

I think it's very easy for an outsider to misunderstand the culture/s that these kinds of comments stem from. One that is based on anonymity and culpability, where the effects of such comments only extend to the forum or discussion they were stated in.

In otherwords, these comments are exaggerated extension of the anger they feel towards a particular person or idea, but not an actual intention or desire to commit these acts, or even see them performed. Similar to how someone saying they want to round up all pedophiles on an island and shoot them is not actually planning on doing so.

So they aren't so much threats as they are comments
Original post by Josb

Why is she calling Philip Davies a prick, I mean, he is but its not his fault people are threatening to rape her.

But yeah, pretty much most of these posers are basdement shut-ins or Eliot roger wannabes.
Reply 16

But whatever you think of the issue of a men's day, rape threats are utterly disgusting and should not be tolerated at all. A few weeks ago on here, there were some UKIPy type folks accusing 'lefties' of
making rape threats, well here we have some men's rights folk making rape threats. I doubt they'll be as critical though.

Phillips seems a humble type of brummie who speaks as if she has been hit on the back of the head with a sledgehammer, ihave no doubt that she is telling the truth on this one saw it on Sunday on TV seemed genuine. The comments about international mens day was probably a joke or she decided to throw the gender card at it (Harmann was acting leader not long ago probably got it fro there) Legend for telling Abott o FCUK off. I think i despise Dianne Abbott nearly as much as Cameron
The threats aren't right of course but Jess is a vile woman

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
That's pretty sick and a very stupid thing to do.

It's a trojan horse. We're all discussing how horrible the rape threats are instead of actually ignoring the threats- allowing them to be dealt by the police- and continuing to discuss the matter at hand.

Classic shut-down victim tactics are at play here.
He'll make sure their bloodline has trouble climbing The foodchain. Why would Someone do that You fool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending