The Student Room Group

Do you prefer compliment on your looks or personality?

Poll

Do you prefer compliments on looks or personality?

Which one?

Scroll to see replies

we need a poll! :biggrin:
probably personality but i have never had ones on my looks, the ones i have had are the token ones people give when you compliment them :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
we need a poll! :biggrin:
probably personality but i have never had ones on my looks, the ones i have had are the token ones people give when you compliment them :s-smilie:

I have no idea how to make one :frown:
I get more on looks so probably personality :smile:
I never get compliments on my looks, so I would choose personality
Original post by loveleest
I have no idea how to make one :frown:

:eek4:lol jk :h:
here's how if you want to make one:
1)just above the OP there is a button that says 'tools'. click on it and press 'insert poll'
2)then a new window comes up with options
3)fill in the options for the poll and press ok

done :smile:
Reply 6
Both equally, but slightly biased towards looks because everyone gets complimented on their personality, as there's always a nice side to them, but not everyone is good looking, so if someone tells me I'm handsome, it would mean more to me because fewer people get called it.
Original post by Leviathan1741
I never get compliments on my looks, so I would choose personality

PRSOM :five:
Reply 8
Original post by Kyle1198
Both equally, but slightly biased towards looks because everyone gets complimented on their personality, as there's always a nice side to them, but not everyone is good looking, so if someone tells me I'm handsome, it would mean more to me because fewer people get called it.

Honest opinion lol, I do agree but..
But when I get called pretty/attractive etc I find it harder to believe then when someone calls me funny/friendly
YAYAYAYAYA!!!!!!!!!!! a poll has come!!! :ahee::dance::dance::dancing::lovehug::jumphug:
Personality, because I don't control my looks for the most part, and so it wouldn't even be a compliment to me, it would be to whatever the hell designed me
Reply 11
Original post by ImNotReallyMe
Personality, because I don't control my looks for the most part, and so it wouldn't even be a compliment to me, it would be to whatever the hell designed me

yeah, I've always thought this. That's why compliments on my personality is more meaningful as it's something I've earned myself.
Original post by CoolCavy
PRSOM :five:

*High five* :h:
Personality cos it's what defines me more than my looks, I feel.
Looks, as I am more insecure about that and most people don't know me well enough to comment on my personality.
Definitely personality. Generally, you lose your looks as you get older, but a personality is something difficult to change- and something you had to build yourself rather than genetics and a bottle of hair dye. Also, a compliment on looks never feels as genuine as someone saying 'wow, you're incredibly funny/nice'- it's also a lot easier for me to accept a compliment on my personality, rather than looks. I usually just end up shuffling awkwardly with the latter lol.
Original post by loveleest
Honest opinion lol, I do agree but..
But when I get called pretty/attractive etc I find it harder to believe then when someone calls me funny/friendly

Ahh I think put two and two together 🤗

I think society expects girls to be pretty and beautiful, as that's what men stereotypically look for in a woman, and men are expected to have personality as they're seen as 'cleverer' (not true I know) and are supposed to have more character if you get my drift.

Therefore, because most men are 'supposed' to have positive personality traits, they find it harder to believe compliments about it, but because they're not necessarily expected to be good looking, they take it more seriously.

Girls stereotypically have little to be desired for their personality, so they find it easier to take compliments for that.

I think that's the general trend anyway😊
Reply 17
Looks.

You could potentially improve your personality but you can't really improve your looks (or so I think).

Having been given both, I can safely say that compliments on my looks felt a lot better than compliments on my personality. May be superficial but that's how it is for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Kyle1198
Ahh I think put two and two together 🤗

I think society expects girls to be pretty and beautiful, as that's what men stereotypically look for in a woman, and men are expected to have personality as they're seen as 'cleverer' (not true I know) and are supposed to have more character if you get my drift.

Therefore, because most men are 'supposed' to have positive personality traits, they find it harder to believe compliments about it, but because they're not necessarily expected to be good looking, they take it more seriously.

Girls stereotypically have little to be desired for their personality, so they find it easier to take compliments for that.

I think that's the general trend anyway😊

Yeah I agree, I think most girls tend to prefer compliments on personality and most guys prefer compliments on looks.
Reply 19
Original post by *Stefan*
Looks.

You could potentially improve your personality but you can't really improve your looks (or so I think).

I've been given both and can safely say that compliments on my looks felt a lot better than compliments on my personality. May be superficial but that's how it is for me.

You can definitely improve your looks e.g new hairstyle, makeup (if you're a girl), new clothes, or even surgery.
But it's easier for girls to improve their looks.

Quick Reply

Latest