Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if there are any current history students at uni who would read through my personal statement as I have no family or friends who know what is needed.
    I'm applying independently after a gap year that I took because I didn't know what course I wanted to do and I've moved away from my old school.
    any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MedievalWitch)
    Hi, I was just wondering if there are any current history students at uni who would read through my personal statement as I have no family or friends who know what is needed.
    I'm applying independently after a gap year that I took because I didn't know what course I wanted to do and I've moved away from my old school.
    thanks
    Please don't send your PS to anyone online.

You have no guarantees that they are who they claim to be - and even if they are currently students at university that doesn't give them any real insight into what admissions staff are looking for (and you still can't be sure that they will be as careful with your work as you are).

Have a look at http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...16/history.pdf and http://university.which.co.uk/advice...atement-advice for some history specific guidance.

And use the TSR PS builder https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/per...ake_some_notes to make sure you've got the right sort of content and avoid obvious mistakes (if you follow it through to the end it will give you some automated feedback on what you've done so far).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedievalWitch)
    thanks
    Just a friendly warning - sometimes people lie about being at university so they can steal personal statements. Not necessarily on here but just be careful about who you show your PS to

ReputationRep:
    i havent shown it to anyone yet and i was hoping someone would like read it through direct message because im so lost, oh well ill follow the links and see if i can get an email for one of my old tutors from the school website
    thanks anyway

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.