Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

IB Combination advice? (urgent!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chenji)
    woah!! 44 points is amaazing :OO
    I don't think I'll be doing bio hl though, I feel like my brain will die from all the memorizing I have to do
    and yeah even if I do bio and chem hl, I definitely won't be able to cope with maths hl, that would just leave me with a disastrous score! :P
    Did you take HL Bio by any chance? (If not, what subjects did you take? :O)

and yes I don't really want to do HL Eng Lit, because I don't really need it, but I don't really think I can cope with HL Maths ;n;
    I didn't take HL Bio, but I knew some people who did. Apparently, a lot of memorisation is required but it is considered to be the easiest of the sciences. Personally, I took Physics SL which turned out to be easier than I expected (I also love physics). Other than that, I took Maths SL, English Lit HL, Economics HL, History HL, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EconObsessed)
    I didn't take HL Bio, but I knew some people who did. Apparently, a lot of memorisation is required but it is considered to be the easiest of the sciences. Personally, I took Physics SL which turned out to be easier than I expected (I also love physics). Other than that, I took Maths SL, English Lit HL, Economics HL, History HL, etc.
    oh. huh. How was English Lit? (I haven't started the IB and I'm already dreading the IOCs... >n<) And as for bio, what do you mean by easiest of the sciences? Do you mean easy to understand the content, or easy to get a high score in or something else? :1

ooh and did you think Maths SL was fairly okay? (I'm judging from the fact that you said you enjoy physics and SL phys was easier than you expected that my experience will probably be worse than yours xD)
    Would you recommend HL Econ for someone like me who has never learnt a thing about the subject before? (I heard SL was ab initio and the gap between SL and HL wasn't too big so I thought HL would be fairly manageable, but now I'm not so sure :/)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying IB Music is easy, but compared to my other subjects it will probably be a bit easier for me, because of my musical background. As long as I prepare for my listening tests well enough, I should be fine!

And yeah, I'm leaning towards not doing bio anymore, and I'm just debating which two out of these three (Maths, Econ, and English) I should take for my HLs. I think by taking HL Maths, it helps with uni/career options? I really want to do HL Maths, but I'm just scared that I won't understand a single thing and I'll fall behind in like the first week of school :s I'm also really scared about doing econ because I don't know if I'll find it really boring :/ I do gcse geography at the moment, and I really regret taking it because I don't enjoy it at all and I can't bring myself to put the effort into the subject because of how much I dislike the subject [humanities really isn't my strong point, and although I enjoy learning about certain subjects like HIstory, for example, I tend to do really badly on the exams]

and as for university..ahah that's exactly my problem! I have absolutely no idea what I want to study in university! Q_Q So it makes choosing my subjects even harder. I know I can't do engineering since I'm not taking HL Maths and Physics, so that's gone. I know I don't want to do law, med, or language, so those three fields are gone. That leaves something to do with creative arts, or something science-y. I'm super into creative arts and all that, but the problem is that I'm not very good at it (as in drawing/sketching/art so design won't exactly be an option. I love photography, so I was considering taking film studies, but I don't really don't know. I also don't think there'll be a high chance that it'll be my major either so I guess it's going to stay a hobby :c so basically I'm in a giant poophole.)
    Haha that's true, to be honest though you can say the same about all IB subjects and even uni, it's all about your preparation! HL Math definitely helps with getting into sciency courses at uni so if you're up for the work, I think it'd be invaluable. I was a fool and did SL Math and had to do a foundation year because of it :/ How are you with math at the moment? I did HL Econ and I personally loved it, if it wasn't for engineering I definitely wouldn't done a degree in that area but alas This is definitely my personal bias but I find HL English a pure waste of time, but then again I loathe essays with a passion so wouldn't take my word for it!

Don't worry about that for now then, I was really fortunate in that I've known what I wanted to do since I was like 7, but in your case I'd just take what genuinely interests you and see where it goes! Not sure how it works in your school but in mine we go tot change subjects anyways, so if you decide you don't like one of your SLs, you might be able to change it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Haha that's true, to be honest though you can say the same about all IB subjects and even uni, it's all about your preparation! HL Math definitely helps with getting into sciency courses at uni so if you're up for the work, I think it'd be invaluable. I was a fool and did SL Math and had to do a foundation year because of it :/ How are you with math at the moment? I did HL Econ and I personally loved it, if it wasn't for engineering I definitely wouldn't done a degree in that area but alas This is definitely my personal bias but I find HL English a pure waste of time, but then again I loathe essays with a passion so wouldn't take my word for it!

Don't worry about that for now then, I was really fortunate in that I've known what I wanted to do since I was like 7, but in your case I'd just take what genuinely interests you and see where it goes! Not sure how it works in your school but in mine we go tot change subjects anyways, so if you decide you don't like one of your SLs, you might be able to change it?
    I'm okay at maths right now I guess, but I feel like it's going to be a big gamble for me if I take HL Maths so I really don't know :/ And as for doing a foundation year for SL Maths, do you know if that's the same for everyone? So everyone that takes SL Maths does a foundation year? Ooh, you did SL Maths but still got into engineering? Woah! Also yes, I don't particularly enjoy writing essays (I really don't think anyone should :P) and I am in the top set for English in my year, but everyone is of very high standards in my class, so I feel like I'm near the bottom of my class :c I'm also very much dreading the IOPs and IOCs. >__< I don't think I'll be doing an english-related major or one that requires HL English, so I kind of want to take it at standard but MATHS HIGHER LEVEL. I DON'T KNOW x(

and your school seems nice. My school decided to change their system a bit this year because a LOT of the students in the year above me (doing their first year of IB this year) flocked to the teachers to ask them if they could change subjects within the first few weeks of school, and so they decided that next year we'd only get one chance (I believe for us it is around half-term?) to swap subjects instead of a date range (e.g. you can change within the first month), so I'm really scared.

I thought I could try taking Math HL and drop down to SL, but I really don't want to do HL English xD
    I went to a uni's open day a few days ago and found some majors that were quite interesting, one of them food science and nutrition or something along the lines of that, so I think that be a cool thing to do, but that generally only requires me to take one science (probably chem) so I pretty much fufill the subject requirements. But I'm not sure if I should take 2 sciences now that I know the science field is an option (something like bio? but the problem is I don't like bio very much and physics is too difficult for me, so :/)

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, I think you'd perform better in subjects that you're interested in. Since being interested in it would be the push you need to keep doing well in the subject! Also remember that it is a two year program, so you will be stuck with the subject you choose for two years!
    Based on what you said, I'd rule out Biology as it is heavy content and a lot of memorizing, and requires some sort of interest. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmann)
    In my opinion, I think you'd perform better in subjects that you're interested in. Since being interested in it would be the push you need to keep doing well in the subject! Also remember that it is a two year program, so you will be stuck with the subject you choose for two years!
    Based on what you said, I'd rule out Biology as it is heavy content and a lot of memorizing, and requires some sort of interest. Good luck!
    Hahah, yup! I'm 4 months into IB1 and I ended up going with music instead of biology, and so far I haven't regretted my choice
    Kudos to those who took both chem and bio both at HL though, they're all pretty stressed out ><

Hahah, yup! I'm 4 months into IB1 and I ended up going with music instead of biology, and so far I haven't regretted my choice
    Kudos to those who took both chem and bio both at HL though, they're all pretty stressed out ><
    Me! Chem and Bio, dying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Me! Chem and Bio, dying

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hahah xD
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Me! Chem and Bio, dying

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Chem, Bio, Maths... Dying as well >.<

(Original post by Mac117)
    Chem, Bio, Maths... Dying as well >.<
    Replace Eng Lit A with Maths and you have my courses...

So many IAs due this months...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hahah strangely enough, I actually prefer HL Maths over HL English - it's just not my forte :P
    Yeah my friend who took HL Chem and Bio has already done at least 3 practice IAs...it scares me xD

hahah strangely enough, I actually prefer HL Maths over HL English - it's just not my forte :P
    Yeah my friend who took HL Chem and Bio has already done at least 3 practice IAs...it scares me xD
    I am almost done with my Chem IA, just starting my Bio IA :rofl:

I prefer English over Maths hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I do 4 HL's as well: Maths, Physics, Economics and Business Management - don't listen to the scaremongering on here, Maths HL is piss easy once you focus on proper mathematical understanding instead of jumping through hoops and learning things for the exam like most schools encourage.

I find that I barely have to do any work for Maths and Physics HL and the only subject that's hard and requires intensive preparation and revision is Economics. (although if you do it at HL, you get a third paper which is essentially free full marks because of how easy it is, the numerical paper).
    Zacken, you did the IB?! I thought you did A-levels :O

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My school forces us to finish IAs for group 3 in year 1, and all the other stuff (TOK essay IAs, and EE) have to be done by the end December in year 2. Not to mention the TOK presentation and group 4 project are done in year 1, too.

I find it strange that schools give the deadlines so late. We usually have little time to finish the assignments (2 weeks for our science IAs - from the beginning to a finished draft) but they're spread out so the work doesn't pile up as much.

I take english A LL SL and it's my worst class so far, I put effort in to keep a mid 6 >.<

Since I'm not a native speaker I need a 6 for most courses (in english SL, that is) , so yay anxiety is slowly building up. Not to mention I hate public speaking and FOAs are going to be the death of me.

My school forces us to finish IAs for group 3 in year 1, and all the other stuff (TOK essay IAs, and EE) have to be done by the end December in year 2. Not to mention the TOK presentation and group 4 project are done in year 1, too.

I find it strange that schools give the deadlines so late. We usually have little time to finish the assignments (2 weeks for our science IAs - from the beginning to a finished draft) but they're spread out so the work doesn't pile up as much.

I take english A LL SL and it's my worst class so far, I put effort in to keep a mid 6 >.<

Since I'm not a native speaker I need a 6 for most courses (in english SL, that is) , so yay anxiety is slowly building up. Not to mention I hate public speaking and FOAs are going to be the death of me.
    My school's IB program is pretty crap tbh

Aww, I am sure you'll be fine in FOAs just stay calm and prepare well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ugh yeah, a huge factor that made me pick Lit instead of LL is because there were so many FOAs and I'm really bad at public speaking and presentations >< absolutely dreading the IOP and the IOC though, hahah!

ReputationRep:
    My school's IB program is pretty crap tbh

Aww, I am sure you'll be fine in FOAs just stay calm and prepare well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    New school eh?

I hope so. It would suck to mess up just because of this

ReputationRep:
    ugh yeah, a huge factor that made me pick Lit instead of LL is because there were so many FOAs and I'm really bad at public speaking and presentations >< absolutely dreading the IOP and the IOC though, hahah!
    I could only choose LL, but even if I had the option I'd still do LL For me personally literature is not as interesting as the analysis of different types of texts etc. In my IGCSEs I got an A* in Language, but only an A in literature, too xD

Sadly I'm not enjoying the course as much, even though my teacher is amazing. I love languages but somehow the way the course is structured does not really appeal to me. Oh well, have to suck it up I guess.

If you need any tips, I got a 27+ (idk exact score because teacher is still deciding) on my IOP.

My IOC is next week :/

New school eh?

I hope so. It would suck to mess up just because of this
    New program rather than new school tbh

You'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.