The Student Room Group

IB Combination advice? (urgent!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mac117
I could only choose LL, but even if I had the option I'd still do LL :tongue: For me personally literature is not as interesting as the analysis of different types of texts etc. In my IGCSEs I got an A* in Language, but only an A in literature, too xD

Sadly I'm not enjoying the course as much, even though my teacher is amazing. I love languages but somehow the way the course is structured does not really appeal to me. Oh well, have to suck it up I guess.

a pity :/
yeah same, I scraped an A* for Language and I don't even know if I got an A in literature xD but I enjoy literature more than I do language, so I chose lit :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by wolfmoon88
If you need any tips, I got a 27+ (idk exact score because teacher is still deciding) on my IOP. :smile:

My IOC is next week :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow really? :O
tip me all the way please xD
which piece of text/topic did you do your IOP on?
Original post by chenji
wow really? :O
tip me all the way please xD
which piece of text/topic did you do your IOP on?

Yeah :smile: I thought I was hella lucky that my teacher enjoyed my presentation.

I did it on a poem lol, partly because poetry is easier to analyse in isolation rather than prose therefore easier to gain higher marks (only 3 ppl chose poetry to analyse in our grade and all of us got 7s) therefore choose poetry when possible.

Overanalyse at first rather than underanalyse. Go through your prose or poem and highlight key literary elements. While it is important to focus your actual analysis for the presentation, it is beneficial if you explore all possible interpretations and other literary elements that may help support your argument.

Oh and practice your presentation. In front of a friend on Skype, to your family, to your friends at school, maybe yo your teacher if he or she is willing. Practice is key :smile:

Be confident in your analysis and delivery! And you'll be fine.

Any specific questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by MTripos
Zacken, you did the IB?! I thought you did A-levels :O

Long story: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3871741
Reply 44
Yeah :smile: I thought I was hella lucky that my teacher enjoyed my presentation.

I did it on a poem lol, partly because poetry is easier to analyse in isolation rather than prose therefore easier to gain higher marks (only 3 ppl chose poetry to analyse in our grade and all of us got 7s) therefore choose poetry when possible.

Overanalyse at first rather than underanalyse. Go through your prose or poem and highlight key literary elements. While it is important to focus your actual analysis for the presentation, it is beneficial if you explore all possible interpretations and other literary elements that may help support your argument.

Oh and practice your presentation. In front of a friend on Skype, to your family, to your friends at school, maybe yo your teacher if he or she is willing. Practice is key :smile:

Be confident in your analysis and delivery! And you'll be fine.

Any specific questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ooh thanks! :biggrin:
Currently doing The Great Gatsby, but I think we'll also be reading Lord of the Flies and some poems by William Blake before we proceed to the IOP.
So far so good, and I really like The Great Gatsby, but now that you mention poems would be a better option, I'm on the fence xD To be fair I haven't read any of the other two texts, so I guess I'll see how I feel about them when we read them in class :smile:

I have a question about the format of the presentation - how did you present your IOP? I've heard previous students have done role-plays, and even music compositions (?!), so I'm curious about what else people have done. I'm really afraid that in the end I'll resort to doing a boring standard presentation >_<
Original post by chenji
a pity :/
yeah same, I scraped an A* for Language and I don't even know if I got an A in literature xD but I enjoy literature more than I do language, so I chose lit :smile:

Fair enough! I can't wait to be finished with ib tbh, it's a fun journey but it gives some unnecessary additional workload in my opinion (IAs for every class srsly).
Not to mention I need 40 points at least to have a chance at Cambridge >.<

How do you find it as of now?
Reply 46
Original post by Mac117
Fair enough! I can't wait to be finished with ib tbh, it's a fun journey but it gives some unnecessary additional workload in my opinion (IAs for every class srsly).
Not to mention I need 40 points at least to have a chance at Cambridge >.<

How do you find it as of now?

I feel the same - not even half a year in and I'm already awaiting the end of IB xD
I think it's okay, but the workload is beginning to pile, and my room is getting messier and messier...
I'm not exactly the most organised person, so staying on top of things is going to be a lot more difficult, but for now I'm managing for the most part :smile:
I feel like it's not the workload that stresses me out, and in fact it's my extra-curriculars and tutoring lessons that kind of stress me out because I have even less time to do more work as well as relax!
But yeah, the constant unit tests for each subject are quite annoying, as are the never-ending assessments, but I suppose it'll all be worth it by this time next year! X)
Original post by chenji
I feel the same - not even half a year in and I'm already awaiting the end of IB xD
I think it's okay, but the workload is beginning to pile, and my room is getting messier and messier...
I'm not exactly the most organised person, so staying on top of things is going to be a lot more difficult, but for now I'm managing for the most part :smile:
I feel like it's not the workload that stresses me out, and in fact it's my extra-curriculars and tutoring lessons that kind of stress me out because I have even less time to do more work as well as relax!
But yeah, the constant unit tests for each subject are quite annoying, as are the never-ending assessments, but I suppose it'll all be worth it by this time next year! X)

Let's hope so! I'm happy I enjoy my HLs because many of my friends hate theirs and have a very bad time (chem HL is an enemy of my friends). Sometimes I think I should have taken an art for group 6, but I love chemistry too much to switch.

Any IB choice regrets? For me probably geography (I like it but it's just boring...)
Reply 48

I read through everything. Really impressive. Kudos to all your hard work finally paying off!

How did you manage to stay so active on TSR while you were so busy?
Original post by chenji
ooh thanks! :biggrin:
Currently doing The Great Gatsby, but I think we'll also be reading Lord of the Flies and some poems by William Blake before we proceed to the IOP.
So far so good, and I really like The Great Gatsby, but now that you mention poems would be a better option, I'm on the fence xD To be fair I haven't read any of the other two texts, so I guess I'll see how I feel about them when we read them in class :smile:

I have a question about the format of the presentation - how did you present your IOP? I've heard previous students have done role-plays, and even music compositions (?!), so I'm curious about what else people have done. I'm really afraid that in the end I'll resort to doing a boring standard presentation >_<

Both novels would be too cliche to analyse in my opinion. William Blake would be a great choice.

I started with a dramatic reading of the poem which attempted to convey the meaning in which I was presenting in my analysis before jumping in to a regular presentation. Then I ended it with another dramatic reading. Doing something creative would almost guarantee you good marks but it is also very risky because you have to do it well. One person in my class choreographed this interpretive dance which described the inner feelings of characters in the novel before analysing the literature in comparison to her dance. She did pretty well but I've heard complete utter failures as well. Most people who have solid analysis in their normal presentations will still get a good mark (creativity makes the good mark become great or extremely bad)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Mac117
Let's hope so! I'm happy I enjoy my HLs because many of my friends hate theirs and have a very bad time (chem HL is an enemy of my friends). Sometimes I think I should have taken an art for group 6, but I love chemistry too much to switch.

Any IB choice regrets? For me probably geography (I like it but it's just boring...)

Yeah, I enjoy most of my HLs (maths and econ are both fun, chinese was more of a mandatory thing though)
I loved chem during igcse, so I thought hl chem would be the ideal choice and was considering pursuing something in the chemistry field (e.g. pharmacy) -- but then I got to IB and now I'm doubting myself because I have no idea what's going on half the time in class, and it doesn't help that there are several students in my class who've already gone through the entire textbook > - <
Not that I could've done much about it though, I'm not very good at physics, and I don't enjoy biology heheh
I also took geo during igcse -- definitely was not a fan xD Then again, it could've been because my teacher spent every lesson reading off a powerpoint...
Reply 51
Both novels would be too cliche to analyse in my opinion. William Blake would be a great choice.

I started with a dramatic reading of the poem which attempted to convey the meaning in which I was presenting in my analysis before jumping in to a regular presentation. Then I ended it with another dramatic reading. Doing something creative would almost guarantee you good marks but it is also very risky because you have to do it well. One person in my class choreographed this interpretive dance which described the inner feelings of characters in the novel before analysing the literature in comparison to her dance. She did pretty well but I've heard complete utter failures as well. Most people who have solid analysis in their normal presentations will still get a good mark (creativity makes the good mark become great or extremely bad)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah...I thought the same about the cliche-ness, but oh well hahah x) I've never read any William Blake poems, but my teacher says they're super awesome as well so I'm really keen to read them now!
Choreographing a dance is such a cool idea! Bet it was very interesting to watch :biggrin:
But yeah, one thing I'm scared of is that if I try to make my presentation creative, and my teacher doesn't like it or it goes terribly wrong...oops xD I'm also afraid my analysis won't be enough both quantity/quality-wise either...
Original post by chenji
Yeah...I thought the same about the cliche-ness, but oh well hahah x) I've never read any William Blake poems, but my teacher says they're super awesome as well so I'm really keen to read them now!
Choreographing a dance is such a cool idea! Bet it was very interesting to watch :biggrin:
But yeah, one thing I'm scared of is that if I try to make my presentation creative, and my teacher doesn't like it or it goes terribly wrong...oops xD I'm also afraid my analysis won't be enough both quantity/quality-wise either...

:smile: yeah the poems are pretty good. I would focus on the analysis before trying to do any creative stuff because that's what will get you points.

Umm quality over quantity always (I am sure you'll be fine)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
:smile: yeah the poems are pretty good. I would focus on the analysis before trying to do any creative stuff because that's what will get you points.

Umm quality over quantity always (I am sure you'll be fine)

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup definitely! thanks for the tips :smile:
Original post by chenji
yup definitely! thanks for the tips :smile:

No problem, good luck :smile:

Just quote me if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help.
Original post by chenji
Yeah, I enjoy most of my HLs (maths and econ are both fun, chinese was more of a mandatory thing though)
I loved chem during igcse, so I thought hl chem would be the ideal choice and was considering pursuing something in the chemistry field (e.g. pharmacy) -- but then I got to IB and now I'm doubting myself because I have no idea what's going on half the time in class, and it doesn't help that there are several students in my class who've already gone through the entire textbook > - <
Not that I could've done much about it though, I'm not very good at physics, and I don't enjoy biology heheh
I also took geo during igcse -- definitely was not a fan xD Then again, it could've been because my teacher spent every lesson reading off a powerpoint...

Chemistry is one of my best HLs at the moment! I really recommend Richard Thronley on YouTube, his videos are amazing. Also, try googling unit tests and test yourself on your knowledge when you finish the unit - it's great for revision :smile:

My least Favorite igcse (CIE exam board) was history - wanted to drop the damn thing the whole of year 11. The teacher was absolutely terrible so I essentially BSed my way through to an A*. Geography was fun for me, I enjoyed it! Must be the teacher as I take geo sl now with him haha.

Any plans for EE? >.< I chose chemistry but it's so hard to choose a good topic!
Reply 56
Original post by Mac117
Chemistry is one of my best HLs at the moment! I really recommend Richard Thronley on YouTube, his videos are amazing. Also, try googling unit tests and test yourself on your knowledge when you finish the unit - it's great for revision :smile:

My least Favorite igcse (CIE exam board) was history - wanted to drop the damn thing the whole of year 11. The teacher was absolutely terrible so I essentially BSed my way through to an A*. Geography was fun for me, I enjoyed it! Must be the teacher as I take geo sl now with him haha.

Any plans for EE? >.< I chose chemistry but it's so hard to choose a good topic!

Ooh, thanks for the YT suggestion! I'll take a look at it now :biggrin: I happen to have a unit test in 3 days x)
Ah, I had a fantastic history teacher, so it's probably why I enjoyed history a lot more than geo hahah
As for the EE, I would have picked chemistry, except it seemed too risky for me to do >< Turns out only 2 people are doing a Chem EE in my year
I ended up going with music instead, with english as a backup :smile:
I feel more confident with those two!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending